EZ Pickens 2005- Great Survivor Pool

I've been in this pool for the last three years, it's very cool. Pick one team per week to win straight up (no point spreads). Can't pick the same team twice. Double elimination. One winner (or ties if more than one makes it all the way through the Super Bowl.) Last year two guys split $8600.

You register online and mail your $20 to Bob in FLA. Send this to any interested friends...obviously, more people = more loot = more fun. Please read below:

Greetings sports fans. Welcome and Welcome back to EZ Pickins' 2005

Instant replay 2004/2005 season- While a lot of us here in FLA started out with 2 hurricanes in September (that sucked!) OhNoMr.Bill and Arieh tied and split the spoils - about $4,300 each. Not bad for a $20 investment.

I might send this to more than one distribution list I have so if you get it more than once, my apologies. Don't consider me a spammer.

For newcomers or those who need to be refreshed, here are the rules.

1. Entry fee is $20. The Commissioner's entry fee is waived by league rules. Please send checks, money orders, or cash (cleverly hidden) to:

Bob DeFranco

11760 US Highway One

Suite 500

North Palm Beach, FL 33408

ALL ENTRY FEES MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE COMMISSIONER ON OR BEFORE 9:00 PM ET THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 8, THE FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS POLICY. I WILL NOT HOUND YOU INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON. BEYOND SEPTEMBER 8 YOU WILL BE PURGED FROM ALL DATABASES. LAST YEAR YOU GUYS (AND GALS) DID A FINE JOB AT THIS. SINCE I EXPECT TO AT LEAST DOUBLE THE PARTICIPATION THIS YEAR, HELP ME OUT AND GET YOUR $$$$$ IN ON TIME.

2. We're using officefootballpool.com. I've checked the site out and it worked fine the last 3 years. This will be their sixth year hosting pools. The administrative fee for hosting the pool was a little over $250 last year for 460 + players. The administrative fee will be paid out of the total $ collected (it doesn't go to me it goes to the site).

Here's how you join.

Instructions for joining EZ PICKINS' 2005:

1. You need to be a member and logged in at OfficeFootballPool.com. Click on the link below and you will be guided through the process for joining this pool, including registering as a new member if you need to. http://www.officefootballpool.com/pools.cfm?poolid=17098

2. Enter the pool password, and if necessary, the poolid. They are as follow:

PoolID: 17098

Pool Password: SNIKCIP

3. Log in or register as a new member.

4. Click Submit.

It's pretty easy but it can be confusing to first time users. Please write me if you have any problems getting started.

Enter your Real Name for the pool records so I'll know who to make the winner's check out to. No one will see your real name but me. Your screen name will be displayed in all subsequent pool pages. I do not need your phone number unless you're a hot chick and would like to give it to me. But that's another pool.

Also, big problem last year. When you send me your money, please indicate the POOL NAME you signed up as and your real name and give me an email address that matched the one you use in the pool. I had a lot of money that I didn't know how to allocate, particularly if you are paying for more than one player. So, if you send money make sure you signed up. I get a lot of checks with names that don't match the pool names. How to play:

1. Go to www.officefootballpool.com and log in. Under Pools go to My Pools and you will reach the EZ Pickins 2005 home page. This is where you make your weekly picks (there's a very cool Match up analysis for each game). Once the pool is under way you can check stats at any time and yes, there's a Trash Talk message board for your enjoyment. I know I'll be using that.

Ok, now that you've registered and joined the pool, here are the rules.

2. Pick one professional team each week, ignoring point spreads, that you are convinced is going to win. You cannot pick the same team more than once over the course of the regular season. The Pick Deadline has been set for Monday 6:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time. Please be aware of what time zone you're in. Please be aware of Thursday and Saturday games and of course, Monday Night Football. Basically, the system is set up to let you pick any game before it starts. Games in progress will not be available to pick. If I do not make a pick for a particular week, you will be allocated a loss.

3. The pool is based on a double elimination format. Two losses and you're out. A tie is a loss. You must pick wins.

4. The pool runs until a winner is declared. If more than one player remains at the end of the regular season, the pool continues into the playoffs. You can pick any team any number of times in the playoffs even if you've picked them once before in the regular season. Losses from the regular season are carried over into the playoffs. You can re-set the team selections in the playoffs but you can't get rid of a loss.

5. If more than one player remains after the Super Bowl, the spoils will be split. AN UNDEFEATED POOLSTER HAS THE SAME STANDING AS A POOLSTER WITH ONE LOSS. THERE HAS BEEN MUCH DEBATE OVER THIS TOPIC, BUT THINK ABOUT IT. THIS IS A SURVIVAL POOL. YOU GET TO CONTINUE WITH ONE LOSS. IF YOU MAKE IT THROUGH THE SUPER BOWL WITH ONE LOSS YOU HAVE SURVIVED. IT'S LIKE THE FIGHTER WHO WENT DOWN AND WAS BLOODIED IN THE EARLY ROUNDS BUT CAME BACK TO KNOCK HIS OPPONENT OUT IN THE 15TH ROUND. ROPE-A-DOPE (OK, THAT WAS ROUND 8). BESIDES, IF YOU MAKE IT TO THE SUPER BOWL YOU SHOULD BE EXTATIC. NOT MANY DO.

Some helpful hints and info.(Problems from prior years)

* If you want to play more than one entry use the Alias function. You don't have to register a new Screen Name.

* Game times on the site are Pacific Daylight Times. REMEMBER WHAT TIME ZONE YOU ARE IN.

* If for some reason the site is down (they tell me that latency has not been a problem, email me your pick at darkstar002k3@hotmail.com.

This is an online pool. Don't email me your picks, register on the site, join the pool and make your picks there. If you do not have a PC, you have a problem. Find a friend that does. THIS IS AN ONLINE POOL.

Again, spread the word. The more the merrier (and more $$$)

I look forward to your participation.

The Commish

• 2 weeks later...