Chargers issue ultimatum to Gates

scribo

Link

The San Diego Chargers told Antonio Gates Thursday that he will be suspended for three games, including the season opener against Dallas, if he doesn't end his holdout by Saturday afternoon.

I hope Gates sits out the season.

Link

The San Diego Chargers told Antonio Gates Thursday that he will be suspended for three games, including the season opener against Dallas, if he doesn't end his holdout by Saturday afternoon.

I hope Gates sits out the season.

411539[/snapback]

The susupension should be pushed back to November 20.

The susupension should be pushed back to November 20.

411541[/snapback]

I agree. However, these are the cases where the NFL has too much leverage in my opinion. Paying that guy $325,000, steal of the friggin century. He has no option but to sit out. I know, we do not know what the Chargers offer is, but wants to take him past well past his FA period, and the dude has absolutely no leverage, except to withold his services

I agree. However, these are the cases where the NFL has too much leverage in my opinion. Paying that guy $325,000, steal of the friggin century. He has no option but to sit out. I know, we do not know what the Chargers offer is, but wants to take him past well past his FA period, and the dude has absolutely no leverage, except to withold his services

411551[/snapback]

i remember reading the chargers made him a decent offer, with some big bucks thrown around, but gates wanted a contract that topped gonzalez's...imo he has no right to ask for that after onyl one good season when they had a great offer on the table...

I agree. However, these are the cases where the NFL has too much leverage in my opinion. Paying that guy $325,000, steal of the friggin century.

411551[/snapback]

That's the system. It's a hell of a lot more fair to all involved(ticket buyers included) than the compensation system of the other two major sports, the NBA and MLB. Unless of course, you want to pay $500 per game for endzone seats so the NFL can have guaranteed contracts and cut declining players they still have to pay $50M to so that they can save money on the cap like NBA teams are doing right now. As for Gates, don't feel too bad, he'll probably get a big signing bonus that he'll never earn on his LAST contract, which should make up for being "underpaid" on his first deal.

They HAVE to suspend him after taking the hardline, otherwise they'll look like chumps.  Maybe it costs them the first game, and maybe that's what it takes for them to pony up the cash to pay Gates.

412551[/snapback]

Well, it is the Chargers. With head chump Alex Spanos in the saddle, expect them to shoot themselves in the foot. Even so, the Chargers had to have learned a few things from their public relations disasters of the last few years. Having Gates sit will not sit well with the Charger faithful. They will compromise to the mild satisfaction of both sides. Having Gates on the field makes Tomlinson and Brees more lethal.

Well, speaking of the Chargers, they do excel in other ways...

http://www.chargers.com/chargergirls/index.cfm

Well, it is the Chargers. With head chump Alex Spanos in the saddle, expect them to shoot themselves in the foot.  Even so, the Chargers had to have learned a few things from their public relations disasters of the last few years.  Having Gates sit will not sit well with the Charger faithful.  They will compromise to the mild satisfaction of both sides.  Having Gates on the field makes Tomlinson and Brees more lethal.

Well, speaking of the Chargers, they do excel in other ways...

http://www.chargers.com/chargergirls/index.cfm

412570[/snapback]

In addition they have the Rivers v. Brees mess coming up around the corner.