As Teddy KGB said on Rounders...

With the new CBA that will be signed sooner or later, the price tag on Clements will not be that bad considering the cap is going to skyrocket up to around 90-95 w/ the new CBA.

Pay him the money and then we can have a shut down corner that will be the cornerstone of the defense for the next 5-6 years.

Comments?

With the new CBA that will be signed sooner or later, the price tag on Clements will not be that bad considering the cap is going to skyrocket up to around 90-95 w/ the new CBA.

Pay him the money and then we can have a shut down corner that will be the cornerstone of the defense for the next 5-6 years.

Comments?

411334[/snapback]

Yeah but...

1. The new CBA is not here yet and the Bills ability to pay (even if they want to now) will be much higher later. Thus, both sides will probably want to wait to ink a deal until then.

2. There are negotiated mechanisms such as tiered payments by which the cap hit can be pushed back into the future when the cap is larger, but no one knows exactly what the new cap # will be and there is some risk to NC involved in tiering as he will not have this money in hand or even guaranteed as as soon as he has it (or it is judged by the NFL to be a certainty he will get it) this amount counts against the cap.

3. The devil is in the details and attempting to sign a deal which meets both the goals of keeping NC a Bill and paying him what the market says a CB should get is incredibly complex and will not only take a lot of time but even more if one is trying to circumvent the uncertainties of a cap that will be installed sooner or later.

It certainly is possible to do a deal, but if I am NC I really would be reluctant to sign a deal now unless TD was willing to turn the keys to the team over to me and under the rules of the CBA it does not appear that TD (or Ralph actually) can do this even if they want to.

Whether TD wants to show NC the money or not a deal seems pretty unlikely befre the new cap kicks in.

Nobody, including and especially Nate Clements is worth 7 years/$65 million dollars.

Lots of contracts are up after this year and after 2006. Draft a CB in the first round next year and let Nate walk. His comments about himself and his worth made me want to vomit. He is not the best in the NFL and he does not deserve a big chunk of change and a big chunk of our cap space

So you don't think Nate Clements and his agent know that the cap will likely go up? If it were as easy as WANTING to sign Clements to a contract then it would be an easy decision. The fact is I'm sure he relishes the chance to at least find out what kind of payday an open market could bring him.

No...DONT "pay de maaain heees moouney" (Teddy's accent)

"Shut down corners" are very overrated. Just like baseball players who accumulate a large amount of stolen bases year after year. Their stats look nice and they are nice to watch play, but in the grand scheme of things, only marginally affect wins and losses over the long haul.

Yeah but...

1. The new CBA is not here yet and the Bills ability to pay (even if they want to now) will be much higher later.  Thus, both sides will probably want to wait to ink a deal until then.

2. There are negotiated mechanisms such as tiered payments by which the cap hit can be pushed back into the future when the cap is larger, but no one knows exactly what the new cap # will be and there is some risk to NC involved in tiering as he will not have this money in hand or even guaranteed as as soon as he has it (or it is judged by the NFL to be a certainty he will get it) this amount counts against the cap.

3. The devil is in the details and attempting to sign a deal which meets both the goals of keeping NC a Bill and paying him what the market says a CB should get is incredibly complex and will not only take a lot of time but even more if one is trying to circumvent the uncertainties of a cap that will be installed sooner or later.

It certainly is possible to do a deal, but if I am NC I really would be reluctant to sign a deal now unless TD was willing to turn the keys to the team over to me and under the rules of the CBA it does not appear that TD (or Ralph actually) can do this even if they want to.

Whether TD wants to show NC the money or not a deal seems pretty unlikely befre the new cap kicks in.

411351[/snapback]

Isn't next year an uncapped year if a new CBA is not signed in time?

It is already known that the cap will include all monies the NFL generates so the cap will go up quite a bit.

Pay now or pay later. Salaries are going to go up because all these teams will have excess cap room and owners like Snyder and Jones will overpay to get players.

We need to take the chance on NC, IMO, because if we wait until next year the price will go way up. I guess we could just keep franchising him for 2-3 years. : )

"Shut down corners" are very overrated. Just like baseball players who accumulate a large amount of stolen bases year after year. Their stats look nice and they are nice to watch play, but in the grand scheme of things, only marginally affect wins and losses over the long haul.

411482[/snapback]

With a shut down corner on one side you can pack more defenders or slide the defense to the other side. I'm sure that helps McGee and makes him a better player.

Also, knowing your shutdown corner can play on an island will open up another player to blitz with.

Would you be comfortable with McGee as the #1 CB?

2 players on this team you don't let walk...Willis and Spikes.

Last year was the 1st that Clements didn't bite on every stop and fade thrown his way. If the Bills thouhgt he was a great corner, they wouldn't have him returning punts and risking injury. He is a good special teams player, but is no Deion, so by them throwing him back there 4 times a game just goes to show they won't cry when he is gone.

I believe his Pro Bowl birth came after a few injuries and declines. Which means he is the 6th or 7th best in the AFC or top 15 in the league. I'll pay him that, but none of this top corner BS.

With a shut down corner on one side you can pack more defenders or slide the defense to the other side.  I'm sure that helps McGee and makes him a better player.

Also, knowing your shutdown corner can play on an island will open up another player to blitz with.

Would you be comfortable with McGee as the #1 CB?

411665[/snapback]

Its not that "shut down corners" dont have value. They do. But they are way overpriced. You need a solid secondary. But CB is the LAST position big money should be thrown at.

2 players on this team you don't let walk...Willis and Spikes.

Last year was the 1st that Clements didn't bite on every stop and fade thrown his way. If the Bills thouhgt he was a great corner, they wouldn't have him returning punts and risking injury. He is a good special teams player, but is no Deion, so by them throwing him back there 4 times a game just goes to show they won't cry when he is gone.

I believe his Pro Bowl birth came after a few injuries and declines. Which means he is the 6th or 7th best in the AFC or top 15 in the league. I'll pay him that, but none of this top corner BS.

411668[/snapback]

Yeah I know it's going to start again: when a player leaves this team everybody is going to start bashing him or acting like he is overrated or we are better off without him, or bring up every bad play he has given up; I'm suprise no one has brought up the Jaguars game yet!

Yeah I know it's going to start again: when a player leaves this team everybody is going to start bashing him or acting like he is overrated or we are better off without him, or bring up every bad play he has given up; I'm suprise no one has brought up the Jaguars game yet!

412012[/snapback]

4th and 26. :devil::blush:0:)

411482[/snapback]

Yah because an SB guy like dave roberts only had a marginal effect on last year's ALCS... :devil:

I'm not sure if Clements is worth the money or not, but it is amazing how well your corners play when you have a good pass rush.

412112[/snapback]

...which we don't have...in other words, our front 4 is not good enough to be as productive as they are without our top-notch LB's and DB's doing what they do.

I'm not sure if Clements is worth the money or not, but it is amazing how well your corners play when you have a good pass rush.

412112[/snapback]

It goes hand-in-hand. If you have good CBs, you can send more ppl on the blitz and put more pressure on the QB, ie. less time for the QB.

Clements is as important to the D as Spikes is.

Isn't next year an uncapped year if a new CBA is not signed in time?

It is already known that the cap will include all monies the NFL generates so the cap will go up quite a bit.

Pay now or pay later.  Salaries are going to go up because all these teams will have excess cap room and owners like Snyder and Jones will overpay to get players.

We need to take the chance on NC, IMO, because if we wait until next year the price will go way up.  I guess we could just keep franchising him for 2-3 years. : )

411662[/snapback]

2007 is the uncapped year

At this point, it is unlikely that the cap will skyrocket in 2006. Maybe once a new CBA is agreed to, they will change the formula and what constitutes DGRs. If money from luxury boxes & club seating is included in the calculation, then it is likely that the unadjusted cap will go up more than it has (approx. 5%) each yr

I believe a deal gets done. As long as TD's opening offer is a fair starting point, I think things will work out.