The HIPAA excuse regarding injury reports

It is fairly amusing to watch Jerry Sullivan and other reporters who simply have not done good reporting for us fans twist in the wind looking for information.

It does hurt my own interests to get less information rather than more information. However, since folks like Sullivan, WGR and other media types took the lead of the money-making Coach Dickerson when he was here and began to warp their providing good information to merely providing information which supported their own individual theories (and their thoughts are clearly as lame as my individual theories- anyone can have an opinion, whether the opinion is more correct than not is related to good reporting which they lazily have passed on doing). It hurts not to have good reporting from the mainstream media.

However, this failure has been replaced by the camp observations available through forums like TSW and far better access to info on the web from sources like KFFL so I can actually do without good reporting from Sully et al. (though I do miss the Empire more direct reports which at also tended toward perspective rather than facts but at least it provided a variety of perspectives though interactive TV and phone calling rather than the static diatribes of an article or the seemingly cherry-picked and screened WGR calls. Folks like Taker and NFL HOF involved folks like Felser had their failings but were simply close to facts and the NFL than a has-been like Dickerson and a never-was like Sully.

At any rate the current bug-a-boo about the lack of detailed injury reports on Parrish is the latest piece of amusement. Nevermind, that for some reason the issue of who is our #3 WR seems be such a hot-topic when of much greater import is the question of the #1 LT and the OL issue (one cannot tell easily or simply from TV whether an OL player did well or not and it requires real reporting and digging so Sully et al. pass. The Coach demonstrated with his diatribes against Parker who was driven out of town and resurfaced to be a crucial part of the NYG SB run and hos assetion that Corey Louchiey was the answer that mere opinion of OL stuff is silly).

Sully and others foolishly are ranting with zero information provided about the Bills about Parrish when actually this serves the Bills general interest which is just spell the name right because they are in the paper and even serves a conspiratorial interest if the Bills have one because rather than focusing on a real problem like the OL he is diddling around on the #3 WR question (which is important but not crucial).

The HIPAA focus really makes me laugh. At least he says it is only an issue in part rather than taking the easy way out and blaming the law entirely, but this issue strikes me a a red herring as any of us who have filled out a HIPAA form for anything medical knows that an individual can sign away the right of privacy and allow information exchange about medical data between your doc and insurer to serve a cmmerce interest. Likewise, the Bills can and should have their players "decide" to sign away their right to medical privacy to allow transfer of medical information to serve the NFL's commerce interests.

Parrish can "choose" not to do this, but also the Bills can "choose" not to draft a player or "choose" not to contract with him if he refuses to play the game and be an NFL player by not signing away his rights. While the Bills would have no knowledge of this persnicketedness before the draft, in the real world, the Bills would have total ability to say what they want to say to comply with NFL rules or build relationships with reporters.

Instead folks often take the easy way out of blaming some faceless regulation when actually the Bills are quite happy to not give out injury info and reporters like Sully are quite happy not to do real reporting or digging on real issues but merely to complain about side issues.

The HIPAA focus really makes me laugh. At least he says it is only an issue in part rather than taking the easy way out and blaming the law entirely, but this issue strikes me a a red herring as any of us who have filled out a HIPAA form for anything medical knows that an individual can sign away the right of privacy and allow information exchange about medical data between your doc and insurer to serve a cmmerce interest. Likewise, the Bills can and should have their players "decide" to sign away their right to medical privacy to allow transfer of medical information to serve the NFL's commerce interests.

410972[/snapback]

I don't know about this. HIPPA is cited by the NCAA as the reason why sideline reporters can longer report , and teams cannot comment on, injuries sustained during a game.

I don't know about this. HIPPA is cited by the NCAA as the reason why sideline reporters  can longer report , and teams cannot comment on, injuries sustained during a game.

410996[/snapback]

This ia question for the lawyers out there, but as best as I can tell there clearly is am ability under the law for the "patient" to release the doctor from any liability for specific releases of information necessitated by this commerce need.

It likely is a question of undecided law whether a release of injury information required by the NFL would be allowed or not, however, it again seems to be clearly the allowed practice in the regular season including info about the location of the injury and how the player practiced as well as the prognosis for how long they are out.

If Sully thinks that info on the status of our potential #3 WR is so important he has a forum where he could argue that the law be settled in this particular area. He doesn't even d that.

Instead he just rants about the Bills not spoonfeeding him info on this side point when I wish this reporter would actually do a little work and report on a key issue for Bills fans like the OL status, prospects and actions being taken

Why is an individual's medical condition your business? How about if your employer was able to get your personal medical health history and use that to his advantage. Say, like fire all people with high cholesterol because they may have future health issues. That's the purpose of Hippa

The only people that truly give a rat's ass are:

1. Reporters who have to find something to write about

2. Fantasy football owners

3. The other team

4. People who are just nosy !@#$ers

I really don't have any sympathy for any of these groups. Parrish will be back when he's ready to play. I don't need to know any more than that.

The only people that truly give a rat's ass are:

1.  Reporters who have to find something to write about

2.  Fantasy football owners

3.  The other team

4.  People who are just nosy

I really don't have any sympathy for any of these groups.  Parrish will be back when he's ready to play.  I don't need to know any more than that.

411087[/snapback]

What about gamblers? I prefer to have knowledge of injuries (especially when they're listed as 'questionable') if I am wagering some moolah on the game. But, I really don't care that much...

What about gamblers?  I prefer to have knowledge of injuries (especially when they're listed as 'questionable') if I am wagering some moolah on the game.  But, I really don't care that much...

411100[/snapback]

Bingo!!!

Whikle those listed above like fanatasy fools and reporters are important to this desire the NFL is fulfilling, it appears to be gambling which is the big money and interest machine here that is driving the acress to injurt information.

Its not that the injury info actually creates a level playing field as insiders will always be able to pull a Martha Stewart and get info you and I will never have. However, though the reporting of data it at least feeds to or creates the illusion of a level play field and this isl important to keep folks betting and watching to see how their bets play out.

What about gamblers?  I prefer to have knowledge of injuries (especially when they're listed as 'questionable') if I am wagering some moolah on the game.  But, I really don't care that much...

411100[/snapback]

Oh yeah and gamblers too. No sympathy from this corner for them either.

Why is an individual's medical condition your business?  How about if your employer was able to get your personal medical health history and use that to his advantage.  Say, like fire all people with high cholesterol because they may have future health issues.  That's the purpose of Hippa

411075[/snapback]

No one has any right to data about health issues, but gambling is the thing which makes it folks business and business trumps rights almost every time.

Forces in society clearly will discriminate when it is allowed to get away with it aand this is why HIPAA is important in my view. There are few things more egregious than how the health care industry tkes bucks from those least able to defend themselves in society because of the occurence of illness.

However, my guess (and this is just a guess because how the issue gets framed when injected into the public sphere will likely make a big difference in outcomes) is that the ill and poor will not do as well framing this issue in the context of whether rich teams and rich athletes can use HIPAA to keep down info which creates the illusion of a level playing field in working stiffs gambling.

Well it just so happens I have experience in this HIPAA garbage being as I work for a hospital.

HIPAA protects an individual's right to privacy of their medical information. Period. If a patient wants their medical information given out to ANYONE by their healthcare provider they must sign a release of information stating specifically who needs it and what kind of information that needs to be released. Otherwise any healthcare institiution will not even acknowledge who they are or even if they have been treated there.

The Bills doctors/ staff can release the information to the public only if Roscoe signs a written release for them to do so. Otherwise it is nobody's business unless Roscoe himself talks to the media about his medical condition. \

So basically if the media wants the scoop...go to the player and badger them....the Bills Mgmt cannot release it if the player chooses not to.