Scotland Yard fouled up

Dr. K

It's completely different. Terrorists are expected to kill people, that is why they are terrorists. There's not much point protesting because the terrorists aren't likely to pay much attention. The police, however, are expected to protect the public. They are not expected to murder innocents.

411680[/snapback]

Gee, if somebody killed a member of my family on purpose because they hated his religion or ethnic background (terrorists), it would make me a lot madder than somebody doing by accident while trying to protect people and due their job (the police),..

Both would suck, no doubt, but killing out of hate would make it a lot worse.....

Actually...

No.

It's only one of many tools, and a useful one.

412605[/snapback]

I don't know, it doesn't seem to have proven very useful in this case, what with an innocent man getting shot seven or eight times and all. Maybe it can be both useful and work against you depending on whether it is done right.

Gee, if somebody killed a member of my family on purpose because they hated his religion or ethnic background (terrorists), it would make me a lot madder than somebody doing by accident while trying to protect people and due their job (the police),..

Both would suck, no doubt, but killing out of hate would make it a lot worse.....

412780[/snapback]

There is an old saying, "I never heard a corpse ask how it got so cold."

I don't know, it doesn't seem to have proven very useful in this case, what with an innocent man getting shot seven or eight times and all.  Maybe it can be both useful and work against you depending on whether it is done right.

412784[/snapback]

While tragic, in and of it self. There's alwys a lesson to be learned, right? Please tell me what that might be, and dont be narrow minded Mick? If you're able to look at all sides of the issue. You've had a history of having some difficulty looking at the past. 3Q's Silly Italian. :)

Terrorists aren't effected by protests, governments are.  One of the many reasons why we prefer governments to terrorists.

412535[/snapback]

Oh, so that explains the lack of protests in the muslim world against terrorism. thanks.

“Maybe the French did it because they didn’t get the 2012 Olympics and England did,” said Aftab Ahmad, 27, a waiter who attended the Central Mosque prayer service. “Why do they always say Muslims do attacks like this?"

Oh, so that explains the lack of protests in the muslim world against terrorism. thanks.

“Maybe the French did it because they didn’t get the 2012 Olympics and England did,” said Aftab Ahmad, 27, a waiter who attended the Central Mosque prayer service. “Why do they always say Muslims do attacks like this?"

412790[/snapback]

Different subject, you were talking specifically about whether people in Brazil protesting the shooting of an innocent Brazilian by the British police would be protesting if the man was killed by terrorists. If you want to switch gears and talk about the response of all muslims to suicide terrorism, fine.

It would help to narrow it down, I don't think it is fair to just talk about all muslims. I imagine that Jordanian muslims might have different issues than muslims in Dallas Texas. By and large, I would certainly agree that, on the whole, the response to this by muslims has ranged from shameful silence to tacit support. There are a lot of things they should be doing but I doubt protests would accomplish anything. Leading clerics announcing that suicide terrorists are going to hell would be a good start.

While tragic, in and of it self. There's alwys a lesson to be learned, right? Please tell me what that might be, and dont be narrow minded Mick? If you're able to look at all sides of the issue. You've had a history of having some difficulty looking at the past. 3Q's  Silly Italian.  :)

412787[/snapback]

I think it would be better to let more facts dribble in before waxing eloquent on what could have been done better. I have confidence that the British will learn what lessons there are to be learned from the event.

Remember that the fact that we are starting out with is an innocent man being killed by the police. There is no dispute there at all. I think the logical response to such a thing is to examine the event to see what went wrong and hopefully, improve tactics to prevent it happening in the future. I don't understand the knee jerk defense of this or dismissive attitude displayed by some at the mere mention that this was a really bad mistake. Really bad.

Leading clerics announcing that suicide terrorists are going to hell would be a good start.

412877[/snapback]

I have seen at least one prominent Iraqi cleric say this recently, of course being a Shia the Sunni AQ-type terrorists would consider him to be a legitimate target.

I have seen at least one prominent Iraqi cleric say this recently, of course being a Shia the Sunni AQ-type terrorists would consider him to be a legitimate target.

413046[/snapback]

Muslim on muslim violence. You'd think there would be more than one leading cleric speaking up.

Muslim on muslim violence.  You'd think there would be more than one leading cleric speaking up.

413704[/snapback]

Well there are more, some reported here in the UK press, others are almost certainly unreported. The Shias, especially, should not be too hot about suicide bombers since they are the current main target for these swine. Besides when was th elasttime you went to a mosque to hear a sermon? We hear about the pro-terrorist scum because their views are so shocking and evil and hence 'newsworthy'. Condemnation is less worthy of news coverage because it is judged to be expected of responsible individuals.

There is a sense of denial in the Islamic community, IMO, brought about by total disbelief in whatever the 'West' says (ie: If the west says there are islamic terrorists blowing up innocents then it CAN'T be true).

It's completely different. Terrorists are expected to kill people, that is why they are terrorists. There's not much point protesting because the terrorists aren't likely to pay much attention. The police, however, are expected to protect the public. They are not expected to murder innocents.

411680[/snapback]

Yeah, it's a serious matter all right.

If I was in charge of that police department, I think that I would resolve the situation by asking the officers involved to try to be a little bit more careful the next time they are trying to defend their nation from animalistic terrorists.....a verbal counselling if you will.

Next, I would give them some paid leave so they could settle down just a bit.

You've heard the old saying right?

Drastic times call for drastic measures. :D

Yeah, it's a serious matter all right.

If I was in charge of that poloice department, I think that I would resolve the situation by asking the officers involved to try to be a little bit more careful the next time they are trying to defend their nation from animalistic terrorists.....a verbal counselling if you will.

Next, I would give them some paid leave so they could settle down just a bit.

You've heard the old saying right?

Drastic times call for drastic measures.  :D

414045[/snapback]

I think they must have been taking advice from you since the officers involved in the shooting are now on holiday :P I'm not sure that the ones that fired the shots are actually to blame at all. It may well have been those higher up the chain of command. As I said, I don't have a problem with a shoot-to-kill policy but they have to have a bit more to go on than they had in this case. Wasn't there a reasonable similar incident in New York recently when a Sikh family was wrestled to the ground? I remember reading that they received a very public apology and stated that there were no hard feelings towards the police.