Anyone else try to tune in the game?

I was mad as hell. I TIVOed the game. Sat down last night. Watched 40 mins or so of it, then they play the damn Jags training camp right in the middle. What the hell was the point of that. Obviously, anyone tuning in at that time slot was doing so for the Colt's Bills game. No one was tuning in for the Jag's. I would imagine it was a mistake by the Network. I hope it doesn't happen again!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NO.  That's letting them get away with it. 

They should stick to what they planned to show.

410824[/snapback]

I agree. Plus, all in all I watch VERY little TV, and outside of certain sporting events, I simply don't care what's on. If it's watchable, I'll watch it. TIVO is just another luxury expense I don't need. I pay enough for the DTV and Sunday Ticket. When I'm around the house, I usually have one of the 800 series music channels on. I don't think I should have to invest in more recurrent expenses to make up for programming inconsistency. And, as was mentioned were I to have TIVOed, I'D HAVE TIVOED THE JAGS CAMP!!!

I agree. Plus, all in all I watch VERY little TV, and outside of certain sporting events, I simply don't care what's on. If it's watchable, I'll watch it. TIVO is just another luxury expense I don't need. I pay enough for the DTV and Sunday Ticket. When I'm around the house, I usually have one of the 800 series music channels on. I don't think I should have to invest in more recurrent expenses to make up for programming inconsistency.

410864[/snapback]

WHY THE HELL DO SO MANY HAVE THIS IDEA THA TIVO IS A LUXURY?!?

If somebody said they had a machine that could give you back several hours of yoru life each month and it would only cost $5 - wouldn't most people say "hell yeah"? It's the 21st centruy. $5 is chump change.

We NEVER watch anything in real time. With all the commercials incorporated into today's broadcast programming, we can watch most 1 hour shows in about 45 minutes.

Then there are those shows with maximum filler. For example, a 1 hour American Idol show can be watched in about 35-40 minutes or ½hour of Jeopardy takes about 10-12 minutes. (I don't care if you don't like those kind of shows - that's not the point I'm trying to make) If you wait until 2 o'clock to start watching a TiVoed Bills game, you can skip through all the boring timeouts and commercials and pretty much finish watching at 4 o'clock along with everyone else. For Bills games alone, you could easily save yourself about 4 hours a month during the fall.

That's time you could be with your family, golfing, doing yardwork, making a Home Depot run, etc.

$5 a month? Hell of a bargain I'd say. Many pay more than that just for additional phone features like call waiting. Given a choice between call waiting and TiVo, it's no contest.

It's not like it's a $400 hardware investment. Directv pretty much gives the units away just so you'll commit to keeping their programming and subscribing to TiVo for $5 a month.

I've yet to hear anyone who finally got a DVR say it was not worth it. Most say they had no idea how great it would be.

If you ever get a pay-per-view movie, you no longer have search around for a blank video tape or worry about falling asleep and missing the movie you just paid for. You just say, "record and purchase". Done. Watch it at your leisure without the hassle and expense of video tapes. Somebody calls, or is some other interuption, no problem, hit pause or jsut rewind and come back to it when the interuption has passed. I found a new use the other day. I was trying to adjust the color on the Bills game, and every time I went to use the red helmets as a guage, the shot would switch to some graphic or a far away shot of something. I just paused the picture on a close-up of some Bills, then adjust the tint and color to suit me.

Understand, we don't watch a lot of shows either. But with all the channels available, there's bound to be shows of interest that you could miss unless you made a weekly habit of reading through TV guide listings. If there's some special interest, actor, musician, or event, we can put it in TiVo as a keyword and it will automatically be recorded.

I suspect anyone resisting TiVo are the same folks whose family's put off getting push button telephones.

Put it this way...if you were offered $5 to sit and watch 1 hour of commercials every month, would you? If your answer is "yes" maybe TiVo isn't for you. That $5 must be worth more than your time. You're worth less than minimum wage!!!

I've yet to hear anyone who finally got a DVR say it was not worth it. Most say they had no idea how great it would be.

Not to completely hijack the thread (although it is related to the NFLN programming change, and ways to fix it), but this comment is dead on.

My coworker was hyping the TiVo back in 2000 (?), saying how great it was. All I heard was, "glorified VCR that I pay a monthly fee for." No thanks, I don't need that!

Then later in the year, DirecTV was selling them for $99, and I read that the box could record two shows at the same time. For $99, I figured I'd replace my current receiver just so I could record two shows. If I didn't like the TiVo feature, I'd just cancel it. This is when DirecTV charged $10/month for the service (aside: Yes, DirecTV has actually LOWERED my monthly price three or four times; this isn't a DirecTV post though, it's a TiVO one). My wife was saying she didn't think we needed to pay $99 for a "glorified VCR," but I finally got my way.

Fast forward six months. The series 1 TiVos were no longer available in stores and the series 2 TiVos were delayed until wintertime. If you wanted a TiVo, you had to buy used. They were selling on eBay for $500-$600! I told my wife about it, and asked her if we should sell it and get a regular receiver. She replied, and I quote, "No way in hell are you selling my TiVo!"

Pretty telling story, IMHO.

My favorite part about the TiVo? My wife and I get to eat dinner at the dining room table every night instead of eating in front of the TV. Not having to worry about getting home by noon to watch the Bills game is a close second. :D

CW

You've got to be kidding.  TIVO not a luxury?  Hell, television is a luxury...  :D

410918[/snapback]

If you're already paying for DirecTV or cable, and you've already paid for a television (and possibly a receiver and speakers for better sound), what's $5/month for a life-changing product? (and yes, TiVo DOES change your life for the better, regardless of how much TV you watch or don't watch).

What he's saying is that TV is a luxery item, but if you have TV, TiVo shouldn't be considered a luxery item because you'll save time not watching as much crap (no offense, Mr. Monkey... :doh: ).

CW

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/l/l0300300.html

n. pl. lux·u·ries

1. Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.

2. Something expensive or hard to obtain.

3. Sumptuous living or surroundings: lives in luxury.

In sense 1, TiVo is certainly a luxury. In sense 2. it certainly is not, and yes, TiVo does give me that sumptuous feeling.

Breaking news happens. I didn't see it (TiVo'ed first showing on NFL network), but I'd say that cutting away for non-news (what happened today at Jags training camp) is BS. If it was TO making live comments then it seems like a reasonable choice, however. Not for most Bills fans, but for the broader NFL network audience.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/l/l0300300.html

n. pl. lux·u·ries

1. Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.

In sense 1, TiVo is certainly a luxury. ...

I'd disagree... I can't watch TV without TiVo, as it's a waste of time (commercials, nothing on when I want to watch, forced to be tied to the clock/networks, etc). At this point, when I'm visiting friends and family, I never watch TV because it sucks - TiVo (or any DVR) is essential once you're used to it. :D

CW

I'd disagree...  I can't watch TV without TiVo, as it's a waste of time (commercials, nothing on when I want to watch, forced to be tied to the clock/networks, etc).  At this point, when I'm visiting friends and family, I never watch TV because it sucks - TiVo (or any DVR) is essential once you're used to it. :D

CW

410970[/snapback]

They obviously missed the whole point of my post. When you weigh out the worth of your time (which has become a precious commodity for most these days) against $5 per month, how can that be considered a luxury? An automobile was at one time considerd a luxury? Our culture and lifestyle, suburban living, etc., has made it a necessity.

If you watch as little as 6 hours of TV a month (or a little more than 1½ hours per week) you can save AT LEAST 1 hour a month of your precious time by skipping commercials and other filler programming with a DVR. Is your time not worth more than $5 per hour?!?!? If $5/hour is beyond your means, you probably shouldn't have Directv or The NFL Ticket. Now those ARE luxury items for your basic minimum wage level American.

Why do I hear the battle hymn of the republic playing in the background?

TIVO is a life enhancing neccessity?

Wow. I'm glad y'all love your TIVO. Like I said, I don't watch enough television to even CARE what is on 95% of the time. When TIVO can correct programming foul-ups by a network in real time, I'll consider it. My fault for not setting up the VCR Monday Morning.

I don't go into a panic over commercials. Somewhere I've learned patience.

They obviously missed the whole point of my post. When you weigh out the worth of your time (which has become a precious commodity for most these days) against $5 per month, how can that be considered a luxury? An automobile was at one time considerd a luxury? Our culture and lifestyle, suburban living, etc., has made it a necessity.

If you watch as little as 6 hours of TV a month (or a little more than 1½ hours per week) you can save AT LEAST 1 hour a month of your precious time by skipping commercials and other filler programming with a DVR. Is your time not worth more than $5 per hour?!?!?  If $5/hour is beyond your means, you probably shouldn't have Directv or The NFL Ticket. Now those ARE luxury items for your basic minimum wage level American.

410982[/snapback]

When my life gets complicated to the point I have to "save" an hour a month, I'm going to do some serious reflection as to my priorities.

I'll say it to you to:

TiVo

People need to stop being slaves to their TVs and do things on THEIR schedule instead.  Burning vacation time for TV would suck.  Eating dinner in front of the TV sucks.  Having to rush home to watch a show instead of having fun with friends sucks.  TiVo fixes all that.

It's the 21st century, peoiple. :D

CW

410823[/snapback]

Fezmid you just don't get it do you? What good is TIVO if you record the game to find out that half of it on the Titans training camp and Days of Just Being T.O.? Are you happy because you have one and you think that you are better or smarter than everybody else or something; give me a break! I want a Tivo/DVR but because I have migrated to cell phone and don't keep a land based phone I get one with DirecTV because they send all their daily updates via phone to be cost effective. And no there isn't a one-time setup issue; I have the NFL package as while they say that a phone line is required there are ways around that. But even if I had a Tivo I wouldn't be one more bit happy about the stunt they pulled yesterday!

Why do I hear the battle hymn of the republic playing in the background?

410992[/snapback]

:D:doh::doh: -good zinger!

We sang that in grade school for years. It's one of my favorites; I suppose it's considered harmful these days. :w00t:

I've one of those "weak sister" DVR's supplied by my cable company. I record old late-at-night stuff like b&w "What's My Line" and the odd Poirot or Sherlock Holmes mysterery, and some old movies. I'd be hard pressed to name a recent evening cable or broadcast show, let alone who is in them. :P

Fezmid you just don't get it do you? What good is TIVO if you record the game to find out that half of it on the Titans training camp and Days of Just Being T.O.? Are you happy because you have one and you think that you are better or smarter than everybody else or something; give me a break! I want a Tivo/DVR but because I have migrated to cell phone and don't keep a land based phone I get one with DirecTV because they send all their daily updates via phone to be cost effective. And no there isn't a one-time setup issue; I have the NFL package as while they say that a phone line is required there are ways around that. But even if I had a Tivo I wouldn't be one more bit happy about the stunt they pulled yesterday!

411004[/snapback]

I don't get it? Apparantly you don't...

At least TWO people here wasted VACATION TIME to rush home and watch the Bills/Colts game. If they had TiVo, they would've recorded it, tried watching it when they got home (using NO vacation time), then reazlied that the whole game wasn't there. They'd still be pissed, but they'd still have their vacation time from their job. Not sure about you, but my vacation time is worth FAR more than $60/year.. Hell, 1 HOUR of my vacation time is worth more than $60/year.

Also, DirecTV/TiVo does not send daily updates over the phones, you're wrong. You don't need the phone after daily setup. But why listen to people who have been there and own the product? :D

CW

When my life gets complicated to the point I have to "save" an hour a month, I'm going to do some serious reflection as to my priorities.

410995[/snapback]

If you rarely ever watch TV, TiVo probably doesn't matter.

If you don't mind zoning out to commercial ads, god bless you. Personally, it drives me nuts to sit through 7 minutes of this nonsense. It's not only the time waste, it's the moronic stupidity of most commercial content. Haven't you ever watched a show, commercial time came around, and after a while you found yourself asking, hasn't this been about 10 minutes since the show was on?

That's beyond being patient to sit through that incredible waste of time. I think you're just stuck in a paradigm of acceptance for whatever programming is provided to you. How would you feel if your music CDs were interupted after every track for a commerciak break? Since you're not used to it, you'd probably not like it much. The problem is that the broadcasters have gotten greedy with ad revenue and have been adding a minute here, a minute there, until we're now at the point where almost a third of TV viewing is non-essential to the scheduled content. Not only that, we now have non-talents like Jennifer Anniston getting 1 million for a half hour show. They have to pay her some damn way.

I have the same impatience for spam and pop-up crap on a computer. This is MY time for crissakes. I pay for my ISP and I'm the one who should decide what content I do and don't have to view.

DVRs change the way you use your television. With this accessory, you are no longer subject to their programming schedules. YOU control your viewing just as you control your web browsing. How'd you like it if you turned on your compuer and were given a limited choice of web sites and viewing times for the stuff in your favorites folder?

I don't get it?  Apparantly you don't...

At least TWO people here wasted VACATION TIME to rush home and watch the Bills/Colts game.  If they had TiVo, they would've recorded it, tried watching it when they got home (using NO vacation time), then reazlied that the whole game wasn't there.  They'd still be pissed, but they'd still have their vacation time from their job.  Not sure about you, but my vacation time is worth FAR more than $60/year..  Hell, 1 HOUR of my vacation time is worth more than $60/year.

Also, DirecTV/TiVo does not send daily updates over the phones, you're wrong.  You don't need the phone after daily setup.  But why listen to people who have been there and own the product?  :D

CW

411039[/snapback]

So do you still have your phone line connected to your DirecTV/TiVo? If you do then you wouldn't know. According to reps who I have talked to at DirecTV there would be a lot of bothersome error messages if it is does not have a land based phone line. I may be wrong but the bottom line is: when did this become a TIVO sales pitch? Oh since 2 people said they missed work you have to be like "you better go TIVO!"? Others TIVOed the game and are still POed. My main issus is that I wanted to watch the game when it was showed; if you TIVO the game and still missed the best part of the game worth watching and now you would have to tape it again IF it is replayed.