influx of CB's means Clements Demise??

kgun

I sure hope Donahue won't let a franchise CB that he drafted, {done before in Pitt.} walk out the door.

I understand we finally have good depth at CB, but no clear PLAYMAKER like #22!!

What's the word on his agent and our GM banging out something. Or are we gonna let him walk and let him knock on someone else's door??

I sure hope Donahue won't let a franchise CB that he drafted, {done before in Pitt.} walk out the door.

I understand we finally have good depth at CB, but no clear PLAYMAKER like #22!!

What's the word on his agent and our GM banging out something. Or are we gonna let him walk and let him knock on someone else's door??

409241[/snapback]

I really hope his agent and our GM aren't banging. First the little tight shorts...

There are two parties involved here and it would be pretty poor GM work by TD not to prepared for the possibility that Clements either decides to go or someone makes him an offer so crazy he can't refuse.

Sigining possibilities in case we lose NC is not only the prudent thing to do, but if we have other options even if they are not nearly as good as NC it allows us to negotiate with him from a position of OK ness rather than a position of weakness.

I think those who argue that TD and the Bills should simply just pay NC the money now do not understand the cap because there is nothing simple about the cap at all.

The Bills MIGHT be able to meet NC's salary requirements under the current cap #s, but actually it MIGHT also be the case that signing him now is actially impossible to do. TD may not be able to show him the money even if he wanted to.

The current top CB contract in the market had an $18 million bonus. If NC figured he was worth this kind of money (not an outrageous thought given that Champ Bailey has not played as well by most views to merit this money and it is not unreasonable to sat NC is just as good as Bailey even if you feel other CBs are better than NC (not many in my view).

Prorating a signing bonus this large over a contract means a 6 year deal which i think actually runs beyond the current CBA so a contract of this length may not beven be possible to do. This proration amount would be a cap hit that already uses up the cap room that the Bills have and added onto that would be the vet minimum so signing NC is probably already putting your team over a barrel by forcing you to sestructure some deals (the Bills can do this) but actually restructure a lot of deals in order to sign new talent or to simply cut some players to free some cap room.

If one is going to say TD is a cheapskate for not showing him the money, if you want this claim to be taken seriously you also have to say who you would cut to create cap room.

Even if you can get this done, there is also the sense that if I am NC I actually refuse to sign and want to play the free-market because the new cap from the income of the new TV deal is likely going to force teams to share the new wealth with players under the CBA. Who knows what the new cap may be, but $18 milion bonuses may be mere chump change under the new CBA.

Fear of injury or bad performance might make NC take a bird in the hand and sign right away, but if he has much confidence in himself and the usual immortalitty young folks feel that it is the other guy who will get hurt, I negotiate with TD to see if he gives me a silly offer but I would not sign a deal until FA at all.

The Bills have done the correct thing by bringing in CB talent and if we sign NC then we are doing great anyway having McGee, Greer, Hill and even Vincent in a pinch at CB.