Gates quick out of the gate, so Burns stays

I think Shaud is a lock for the #2 back behind Willis, but the "breather" kind of back, for a series or two, a half or two, or even a game or two. I do not think his body can withstand a full season as a workhorse #1 RB in the NFL. He also doesn't block all that well. Gates, to me, has looked much better than his competition for #3, ReShard Lee. And we simply don't need Lee as a KR. All that really means to me is that Joe Burns is going to make the team again.

If I am Mularkey, it would make me nervous to go into the season with only Shaud, a UFA on the small side, and Gates, who didn't even play a full season in college let alone the NFL. Burns, even though he is not a stellar RB, plays three positions (ST, FB and RB) and excels on special teams. he was all over the field on Saturday. In an emergency, he can provide some veteran relief at RB if Willis goes down for an extended period of time. And promising UFA Goldsberry can go to the practice squad as a future FB.

I think we have good young talent that will be snatched up by other teams if they're added to the PS. ( Wilson, Goldsberry,Gause)

408616[/snapback]

didn't we lose a FB last year trying to hide him away on the PS? not that i'm advocating keeping goldsberry on the roster because i'm fine with burns given his versatility.........i think a roster spot is too valuable to keep a backup FB who can't add any other value to roster other then special teams.......

i guess my point is good promising FB's are a dime a dozen.......

didn't we lose a FB last year trying to hide him away on the PS? not that i'm advocating keeping goldsberry on the roster because i'm fine with burns given his versatility.........i think a roster spot is too valuable to keep a backup FB who can't add any other value to roster other then special teams.......

i guess my point is good promising FB's are a dime a dozen.......

408626[/snapback]

Was it Luke Lawton we lost to the Giants?

I think Shaud is a lock for the #2 back behind Willis, but the "breather" kind of back, for a series or two, a half or two, or even a game or two. I do not think his body can withstand a full season as a workhorse #1 RB in the NFL. He also doesn't block all that well. Gates, to me, has looked much better than his competition for #3, ReShard Lee. And we simply don't need Lee as a KR. All that really means to me is that Joe Burns is going to make the team again.

If I am Mularkey, it would make me nervous to go into the season with only Shaud, a UFA on the small side, and Gates, who didn't even play a full season in college let alone the NFL.  Burns, even though he is not a stellar RB, plays three positions (ST, FB and RB) and excels on special teams. he was all over the field on Saturday. In an emergency, he can provide some veteran relief at RB if Willis goes down for an extended period of time. And promising UFA Goldsberry can go to the practice squad as a future FB.

408613[/snapback]

I wouldn't be as upset about Burns making the team as I would if somehow Wire manages to make the 53 man roster. In fact, I'd go so far as to say if CW makes the team it will not be without the help of our resident magician Jon Dorenbus.

I think Goldsberry is the better prospect, and he was a ST ace in college. But, Burns would quickly be snatched up. Actually, Indy wanted him real bad a few years back as a backup to Edge. The Bills kept an extra RB that year just because they knew they couldn't hide him.