Worst QB season ever...ESPN.com

taterhill

Bad QB seasons

1. Gary Marangi, 1976 Buffalo Bills (2-12)

Actual stats: 11 G, 82-for-232, 35.3%, 998 yards, 7 TD, 16 INT

2004 projection: 13 G, 135-for-335, 40.3%, 1,513 yards, 10 TD, 15 INT

But this guy was worse. Marangi managed to lead the Bills to eight straight losses despite the presence of NFL rushing champion Simpson. The 1976 Bills were 2-4 through six games even though veteran Joe Ferguson was having a strong season (9 TDs, only 1 INT). When Ferguson was lost for the year with an injury in Week 7, third-year backup Marangi took over and put on the worst passing performance in NFL history -- so bad that this ranks as the worst quarterback season ever, even though Marangi had positive value when he ran with the ball (230 yards on 39 carries with two TDs).

Marangi managed a handful of touchdowns because Simpson's legs kept putting the Bills into good field position, but check out that completion percentage. Marangi is the only quarterback in history who, even after adjusting to the friendly 2004 offensive environment, ends up with a completion percentage below 45 percent. The 1976 Bills ended up 2-12, and no game tells the story of this season like their Thanksgiving matchup with Detroit. Simpson broke his own NFL rushing record with 273 yards, but Marangi passed for just 15 yards and the Lions beat the Bills 27-14.

Gary Marangi is the reason I became a Bills fan at a very young age.

Who else can say that? (Who else would want to?)

Watching him take over for Ferguson one game where the Bills had the lead, he came in threw something like six passes, of which five were picked, of which four were returned for TDs...or something like that. My father turned to me and said "Son, the only thing good about that QB is that he's Italian."

Gary Marangi is the reason I became a Bills fan at a very young age.

Who else can say that? (Who else would want to?)

Watching him take over for Ferguson one game where the Bills had the lead, he came in threw something like six passes, of which five were picked, of which four were returned for TDs...or something like that. My father turned to me and said "Son, the only thing good about that QB is that he's Italian."

408093[/snapback]

*LOL* Same here.. That was my first season as a Bills fan. I actually saw Fergy's last full game that season, a 31-13 loss to Baltimore... then watched Marangi struggle... and struggle...

The best thing, of course, is the realization that for much of 1974 and 1975, every time Fergy threw an INT the crowd would chant "We Want Marangi..." Be careful what you wish for....

Did they bypass the strike games? IIRC, Willie Totten made Marangi look like Unitas by comparison...  :doh:

408200[/snapback]

ahh, but not's let forget the true star of the scab bills...todd schlopy. who can forget that epic battle at rich stadium between the replacement bills and the LT-led giants when schlopy mercifully knuckled a short FG through the uprights in a 6-3 OT victory.

i don't know what was worse -- the quality of play in that game, or the fact that my father and i sat there for the whole damn thing. the crowd was chanting "schopy, schlopy, schlopy" at the end.

gawd, we bills' fans are sick. :)