OT - Gas Prices

I was actually referring to the overall economics. Subsidies prevent free market economics to take place so in essence hampers true innovation. I agree with you that the consumer may pay less for charging the battery, but if the fundamentals are not right, the tax payer is paying for the subsidies. Which means all of us pay for pushing some hair-brained idea.

For renewables, take the example of wind power. Once installed, the electricity is the closest you can get to free. But the upfront costs, the variability of supply are so large that again the economics do not make sense compared to conventional generation means. The only reason you see so many wind farms going up (huge amount is Denmark, Germany, UK) is that they are subsidized by the federal govt. and have guaranteed rates that will be paid to the producers. A political ploy if you may call it so.

Only place where subsidies may work is where costs would go down with large deployments and government money will help get the industry out of its learning phase/curve.

408923[/snapback]

Trust me, you do not have to lecture me on the cost effectiveness of wind farms. Not with the potential of 40 450' heavily subsidized towers going up in my little farm town. I was primarily referring to personal on-site renewable energy sources, like the homes being pre-built with solar arrays in California...it would not take much to power the charger needed...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me, you do not have to lecture me on the cost effectiveness of wind farms.  Not with the potential of 40 450' heavily subsidized towers going up in my little farm town.  I was primarily referring to personal on-site renewable energy sources, like the homes being pre-built with solar arrays in California...it would not take much to power the charger needed...

408950[/snapback]

Fair enough, I went overboard with my sermonizing. What you are referring to is photovoltaic (PV) technology and it may actually work. This case is different in that the people who want it will pay for it similar to the buyers of hybrid cars.

I don't want my tax dollars subsidizing a technology that will help people buy V8's (as in engines).

408980[/snapback]

i didnt say that

what i said was, although the steps to gas conservation often seem small, such as the article i posted b4 shows that at least there is some innovation towards the right direction

30-40 years ago every american was driving around in a big car with a big ass engine, then the gas crisis hit and japanese cars seemed more practical, now gas consumsption per car is so much less than it was then, in 30 years from now maybe hybrid cars will be the next phase that will dominate the market and reduce consumption

at least there are companies out there that are doing their best while the oil companies just speak about constricting supply

at least there are companies out there that are doing their best while the oil companies just speak about constricting supply

409051[/snapback]

I would have agreed with your entire post but you had to go and sneak that last sentence in there ! If by oil companies you mean OPEC I agree. However, each and every refinery in the US is going pedal to the metal to supply gasoline and diesel. The tap is wide open but it is a tap sized for 1970s demand. We need a bigger tap or less thirst.

I would have agreed with your entire post but you had to go and sneak that last sentence in there ! If by oil companies you mean OPEC I agree. However, each and every refinery in the US is going pedal to the metal to supply gasoline and diesel. The tap is wide open but it is a tap sized for 1970s demand. We need a bigger tap or less thirst.

409216[/snapback]

we need to reduce consumption

its the only way

if we keep letting the price drop to an acceptable level then people will consume more, public transportation is there for a reason, it needs to be used

i see more and more people driving and spending a larger part of their income on vehicules, it should only be for the necessary

I think everyone needs to Google commodity markets, and get a grip. The people buying the oil have a lot more influence than the people selling it, right now.

If this "war is about oil", we would have had it in 1972.

Fair enough, I went overboard with my sermonizing. What you are referring to is photovoltaic (PV) technology and it may actually work. This case is different in that the people who want it will pay for it similar to the buyers of hybrid cars.

408984[/snapback]

Speaking of Hybrids and photo-voltaics...