Plane crash in Greece this weekend

Fezmid

Stop by and have a tasty rat burger with LA...the recipe is from Demolition Man.  :doh:

408013[/snapback]

What made that funny was when he realized he was eating a rat burger, stopped, shrugged his shoulders, and kept eating. I gotta tell ya, that movie was no Daddy Day Care but it was pretty damn good.

Since the temperature seems to be an issue it brings to mind a flight I took to LA in the late 70's. The captain got on the PA and said he would give a bottle of champagne to the passenger that could guess what the temperature was outside the plane. It was spring, about 8PM and we were about 25,000 feet. I'm guessing we were over Colorado or Arizona at the time. He asked that those making guesses should be sure to put down whether their guess was in F or in C.

Anyone care to guess?

Since the temperature seems to be an issue it brings to mind a flight I took to LA in the late 70's.  The captain got on the PA and said he would give a bottle of champagne to the passenger that could guess what the temperature was outside the plane.  It was spring, about 8PM and we were about 25,000 feet.  I'm guessing we were over Colorado  or Arizona at the time.  He asked that those making guesses should be sure to put down whether their guess was in F or in C.

Anyone care to guess?

408261[/snapback]

With or without Google?

I miss the 70's red eye champagne flights. Those were the days. I'll take a wild non-google stab and say 22 F.

I actually heard today that they believe one of the passangers may have tried to land the plane. That would explain the altitude loss. The plane would have continued on autopilot until it ran out of fuel if no one had done anything (Payne Stewart's plane did this). I did not hear about everyone being frozen solid, which seems extreme. It's cold at high altitude, but it would have to be cold for a long time for people to be frozen solid.

I think "frozen solid" WAS an exaggeration, but suffice it to say that it was probably cold enough for the outer portion of their bodies to freeze, which would give the appearance of "freezing solid." And freezing to death isn't such a bad way to go, if you had to pick a way to do it ("...now, getting your nuts bit off by a laplander...").

My thought was that while it was allegedly cold or 'freezing' on the plane - if in fact they were "frozen solid" when found it could have been due to the time spent at high altitude w/ low temperature before the rescue teams reached them?

oh...that is in farenheit...although it barely matters because 50 below is very close to 40 below: the only point at which the celcius and farenheit scales intersect.

don't ask me why i know that either.

408287[/snapback]

A short story goes with this.

I thought the temp would be around 0 but figured it was too round of a number which many would take so I figured about -3F. The lady next to me said she had no idea of what to say, so I said, "Just right down -40." She said, "but is that F or C," I said " Let the pilot figure that out" knowing it was the same. She won.

I always wondered if it would have been any warmer at Noon, but I'm figuring not much.

I heard an update on the story last night. Apparantly the guy saying he received a text message from his cousin was arrested because he made the whole story up; his cousin wasn't even on the plane. Nice...

CW