Not being vanilla with the D in pre-season

I found it very entertaining to watch the Bills D take on Dungy/Sorgi and the Colts O last night.

It was great to watch the chess game as the Bills D seemed to break from the normal pre-season coach's decision to be vanilla in showing blitzes and schemes and the Bills seem to be coming with the blitz all the time.

It was actually great facing an offensive oriented team like the Colts because Sorgi seemed to audible quite a bit in the face of his read on whether and how the Bills were coming and sometimes Fletcher or Crowell seemed to adjust our set to the switch they made (the guess or estimation was more often than not correct by our guys until the subs blew it and got burned for a TD by an uncovered TE going up the slot.

Though I enjoyed it, I did think a bit about whether most teams are vanilla in pre-season for a reason so as not to tip their hand on how they are going to react to certain sets. Just as in the scrimmage against GB, the D seemed to let it all hang out.

In general though I aggree with this approach for the following reasons:

1. This style is how we play so it should be how we practice in these exhibition games. Though we are revealing things and giving some tape to opponents. I think the benefit of allowing our D to practice what they are going to use is a bigger benefit than any loss. If there are co-ordination problems better to see them hit now when it doesn't count rather than to learn later in a real game.

2. Since 10 of 11 D players are back there are actually few surprises we are going to keep secret. Opponents have already seen how these guys play together and the major change is that they will play together the same way they always have just be better at it with time together under their belt.

3. It actually is a rare opportunity for the back-ups to run our real D against real opponents. I took a lot of pleasure out of seeing Crowell calling signals for out whole package if gosh forbid he gets pressed into MLB service.

4. I love the fact that we can build D confidence in pre-season by running over opponents.

Before we get too excited about our D being so dominant, I do wonder to what extent the results may be a little different in the regular season when the opponent actually gameplans for our D and how it will be later in the pre-season since generally the Ds are ahead of the Os right now.

However, all in all it is very impressive and with JP having a fairly Bledsoe like output in terms of results until he learns the game a little bit more, we are going to need our ST to create points for us as Sape did last night and the D gave JP a huge hand in doing with a great Greer interception and perhaps most important making up for O mistakes like the turnover deep in our territory by holding the Pats to 3 and out (we are gonna need dumbluck too as the usually perfect Vanderjagt missed a chipshot FG).

Still last nights pre-season game was more fun than the norm.

I found it very entertaining to watch the Bills D take on Dungy/Sorgi and the Colts O last night.

It was great to watch the chess game as the Bills D seemed to break from the normal pre-season coach's decision to be vanilla in showing blitzes and schemes and the Bills seem to be coming with the blitz all the time.

It was actually great facing an offensive oriented team like the Colts because Sorgi seemed to audible quite a bit in the face of his read on whether and how the Bills were coming and sometimes Fletcher or Crowell seemed to adjust our set to the switch they made (the guess or estimation was more often than not correct by our guys until the subs blew it and got burned for a TD by an uncovered TE going up the slot.

Though I enjoyed it, I did think a bit about whether most teams are vanilla in pre-season for a reason so as not to tip their hand on how they are going to react to certain sets. Just as in the scrimmage against GB, the D seemed to let it all hang out.

In general though I aggree with this approach for the following reasons:

1. This style is how we play so it should be how we practice in these exhibition games.  Though we are revealing things and giving some tape to opponents. I think the benefit of allowing our D to practice what they are going to use is a bigger benefit than any loss. If there are co-ordination problems better to see them hit now when it doesn't count rather than to learn later in a real game.

2. Since 10 of 11 D players are back there are actually few surprises we are going to keep secret. Opponents have already seen how these guys play together and the major change is that they will play together the same way they always have just be better at it with time together under their belt.

3. It actually is a rare opportunity for the back-ups to run our real D against real opponents. I took a lot of pleasure out of seeing Crowell calling signals for out whole package if gosh forbid he gets pressed into MLB service.

4. I love the fact that we can build D confidence in pre-season by running over opponents.

Before we get too excited about our D being so dominant, I do wonder to what extent the results may be a little different in the regular season when the opponent actually gameplans for our D and how it will be later in the pre-season since generally the Ds are ahead of the Os right now.

However, all in all it is very impressive and with JP having a fairly Bledsoe like output in terms of results until he learns the game a little bit more, we are going to need our ST to create points for us as Sape did last night and the D gave JP a huge hand in doing with a great Greer interception and perhaps most important making up for O mistakes like the turnover deep in our territory by holding the Pats to 3 and out (we are gonna need dumbluck too as the usually perfect Vanderjagt missed a chipshot FG).

Still last nights pre-season game was more fun than the norm.

407536[/snapback]

I thought it was Neopolitan

I always thought the advantage of going vanilla in preseason is overrated. By the time you've played a couple games of the regular season, future opponents have all the film on your "normal" schemes that they need. Thus any surprise advantage is good for about two games. One could make the case that practicing your full package in real game conditions (preseason games) is necessary to develop confidence and competence in that full package, and thus it may be well worth tipping off your first couple opponents about your strategy.

I didn't see the game, but if they go ahead and blitz a lot during the season, they'll end up on the short end of the scoreboard with regularity.

407645[/snapback]

What are you talking about? This defense is based on aggressiveness. Teams that have solid secondaries have the luxury of blitzing more often. This team blitzed up the wazoo last year and ended up #2 overall. The collapses they had were when they stopped being aggressive in my opinion.

RTB

If a team wants game film they can go to every game last year!

This a new twist...It gives teams more to think about....the D is the same (-PW) so I don't think their going to "hide" anything.....

In this case...I think its a good thing.

If a team wants game film they can go to every game last year!

This a new twist...It gives teams more to think about....the D is the same (-PW) so I don't think their going to "hide" anything.....

In this case...I think its a good thing.

407657[/snapback]

Why is itwe always concern ourselves with teams gameplanning their offenses for our D in the regular season. We are not gameplanning our D in preseason we are simply testing different plays just as the O does. Come regular season we will be using the D to game plan against the oppositions O. :)

What are you talking about? This defense is based on aggressiveness. Teams that have solid secondaries have the luxury of blitzing more often. This team blitzed up the wazoo last year and ended up #2 overall. The collapses they had were when they stopped being aggressive in my opinion.

RTB

407651[/snapback]

Suit yourself. The #2 ranking is a bit misleading, to me at least - racking up good numbers against the NFC west and against Cleveland.

They got lit up twice by the Pats 397 yards/21 first downs, 428 yd/25 fd, by the Jets 383 yd/24 fd, and by the Fins 403 yd/25 fd.

I think that in most cases, a lot of blitzing = my DL has some problems. :)

407536[/snapback]

Maybe this IS the vanilla version of our defense. :)

Suit yourself.  The #2 ranking is a bit misleading, to me at least - racking up good numbers against the NFC west and against Cleveland.

They got lit up twice by the Pats 397 yards/21 first downs, 428 yd/25 fd, by the Jets 383 yd/24 fd, and by the Fins 403 yd/25 fd.

I think that in most cases, a lot of blitzing = my DL has some problems. :)

407684[/snapback]

The way I look at it, they're playing their base defense in preseason. Then, if they go to more of a zone look against some passing teams with strong OLs later in the season, it will be a real change up / confusion maker. The only problem with showing a lot now comes if you never vary anything later on...

As a bonus, thowing the playbook at the rookies and young guys now allows them to see who's a player and who's not. Running a basic D might give misleading readings on guys who can master simple schemes, but who'd be over their heads when the real bullets are flying.

The way I look at it, they're playing their base defense in preseason.  Then, if they go to more of a zone look against some passing teams with strong OLs later in the season, it will be a real change up / confusion maker.    The only problem with showing a lot now comes if you never vary anything later on...

As a bonus, thowing the playbook at the rookies and young guys now allows them to see who's a player and who's not.  Running a basic D might give misleading readings on guys who can master simple schemes, but who'd be over their heads when the real bullets are flying.

407699[/snapback]

RE: As a bonus.

I agree - It's worthwile to find out, as you say. And I don't think opposing teams are very much taken by surprise by different defensive formations...

The real key to the Bills defense (or any defense for that matter) is stuffing the first down rush. Obviously, without Edge James, the Bills easily handled the Colts backups. But they were consistently in the backfield and you can't blame a running back when he is slammed a half-step after taking the handoff.

The Bills won't blitz recklessly, but you can bet that if a team is 3rd and 8 or longer, there will be a linebacker and a safety or corner coming after the QB. I like the agressiveness A LOT. It forces opposing QB's to do what all fans hate most, including Bills fans: Throw the 5 yard pass on 3rd and 11.

But Corey Dillon picking up 8 yards on 1st down takes that whole scenario out of play.

Speaking of run stuffing, I thought Edwards played well, or at least played hard.