Oak Tree Falls at PGA Championship

PTS

A big Oak Tree broke apart and fell on some specators following Tiger's group at The PGA Championship. Not sure of the severity of the injuries, but it was a pretty big branch.

One of my good friends is the "DA MAN" at the Championship. He's the Head Tournament Coordinator this year. I saw him running around on Headline News a few minutes ago. He was second in command when the Championship was in Rochester two summers ago.

Tiger is on the verge of missing the cut for the first time ever in a major as a pro. Lefty is in the lead.

I live 10 mins from that course. I have been working on a house across the street from it with my father for the past year before I got an office job. The amount of preperation that course went thru for this event has been going on for 1 whole year. This is a very exclusive course. It has 2 18 hole courses on it. It costs $100k to join and fees of $50k a year. It's crazy. The towns are going nuts for this thing. The people whos house we were working on are letting cars park all over their yard for $50. They can get 30 cars on their property a day. The traffic is horendous. I am surprised that a limb fell. They had this course in tip-top shape for this event. It's crazy. My father said he had the building inspector/fire cheif at a job yesterday morning. They were freaking out because people were selling food on their lawns. THey would set up their own "lunch carts". It's nuts that these events happen every week. This one is in a residential area. It's crazy

I live 10 mins from that course.  I have been working on a house across the street from it with my father for the past year before I got an office job.  The amount of preperation that course went thru for this event has been going on for 1 whole year.  This is a very exclusive course.  It has 2 18 hole courses on it.  It costs $100k to join and fees of $50k a year.  It's crazy.  The towns are going nuts for this thing.  The people whos house we were working on are letting cars park all over their yard for $50.  They can get 30 cars on their property a day.  The traffic is horendous.  I am surprised that a limb fell.  They had this course in tip-top shape for this event.  It's crazy.  My father said he had the building inspector/fire cheif at a job yesterday morning.  They were freaking out because people were selling food on their lawns.  THey would set up their own "lunch carts".  It's nuts that these events happen every week.  This one is in a residential area.  It's crazy

406049[/snapback]

Everything you just said about Baltusrol applies to Oak Hill as well, except the fees and costs are lower (this ain't Northern Jersey). I parked cars on my lawn for the 2003 PGA (I live about 100 yards from the third tee). On Sunday a guy drove up and said he didn't want to pay $20 to park on my lawn but if I let him park there for free he'd give me his extra ticket. I think I made out pretty good on that one.

A neighbor who lives on a corner lot of my street and East Avenue sold pre-paid reservations to park on her lawn during the PGA. Because they have a corner lot they could get more cars on the lawn; I heard she cleared 12 grand for the week. :D

Its funny how these homes with beautiful landscaping, now have tires tracks all over them. I actually saw a guy starting to pull cars into his garage, back yard, and patio. I guess he figures he can still make a killing after he redoes his yard. The best thing I see though are people selling cold waters. The farther you get from the course the cheaper the water gets. The man who lives close to the entrance was selling waters for $8 each. It is 97 degrees today and humid as hell. He has converted his yard into a parking lot and is making $50 a car. His yard is packed. And hes got cases of Poland Springs ($6 a case of 36) and selling them like crazy for $8. God bless that mans sole. I can't wait to see the IRS pull up and staple an Audit to his forehead.

I can't wait to see the IRS pull up and staple an Audit to his forehead.

406064[/snapback]

:D

We were very careful to declare our income from parking and rent that year (we rented our house to a corporate group for Tuesday and Wednesday of that week). I doubt everyone else was so scrupulous.

Eight dollars for water is !@#$ing criminal. I felt guilty selling water bottles for $2. :)

He must think he's an NFL stadium vendor. :D

406070[/snapback]

Yeah, next thing you'll see is a board with his prices againt his competitors:

Beer: My Price $10 16 oz Giants Stadium: $12 16 oz

Hot Dogs: My Price $8 Giants Stadium: $10

Not having to walk to your car parked 2 miles away in 97 degree weather with the heat index being 115 and your legs will start chaffing together while you sweat to death in your preppy polo shirts and khakis with a baby blue sweater vest while you take your visor off an wipe the sweat before it goes into your eyes and stings real bad and you walk into a bush or fence or parked car while your preppy friends giggle: $50 to park your car on my lawn

Yeah, next thing you'll see is a board with his prices againt his competitors:

Beer: My Price $10 16 oz    Giants Stadium: $12 16 oz

Hot Dogs: My Price $8        Giants Stadium: $10

Not having to walk to your car parked 2 miles away in 97 degree weather with the heat index being 115 and your legs will start chaffing together while you sweat to death in your preppy polo shirts and khakis with a baby blue sweater vest while you take your visor off an wipe the sweat before it goes into your eyes and stings real bad and you walk into a bush or fence or parked car while your preppy friends giggle: $50 to park your car on my lawn

406080[/snapback]

Did they not provide shuttle buses for this event or are these people too good for that sort of thing? :D For the PGA here they didn't allow ANY on-street parking within a mile of Oak Hill. They tried their best to nail people parking in Pittsford Plaza and sneaking over to the drop-off entrance near the 16th green, too.

The lady I told you about had a sliding scale of prices during the week. Something like $15 for the practice rounds, going up to $20 on Thursday and Friday, $30 on Saturday and $40 on Sunday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/leaderboard?tournamentId=226

He needs to shoot 3-under over last seven holes to have a chance:

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/2005/sc...ards/08793.html

406082[/snapback]

I think the "fact" being referred to is that Mr. Clutch claims it will be his first time missing the cut as a pro, which is not true. It would, however, be his first time missing the cut in a Major as a pro...

I think the "fact" being referred to is that Mr. Clutch claims it will be his first time missing the cut as a pro, which is not true.  It would, however, be his first time missing the cut in a Major as a pro...

406108[/snapback]

He's at even par for the day with 4 holes to go (two long par-5's to finish up). Needs to shoot 2 under to (comfortably) make the projected cut line (+4).