Josh Reed question

OnTheRocks

Ok...we all know Josh Reed thinks the football is a disease he is afraid to catch.

But wasn't he a RB at LSU before he switched to WR? Have the Bills ever considered him as a #2 3rd down back?

The only reason I ask....and I am not some Josh Reed fan, but if they owe him money, why not find a place to plug him in if he is failing at WR?

Given MM's interest in deceptive and trick plays my guess is that the has considered using any additional talents a player has in unexpected ways. If Bannan and Adams can play OG, Cenney can be used as a TE and the Bills used Bledsoe/WM and the WRs for a series of flip passes and laterals, it is not a jump at all to consider using Reed where he is useful and perhaps that is as an RB.

In particular, the Bills have even before MM made healthy use of the end-around so WRs get used as runners. My sense is that when Reed get his turn doing this, if he proved to be an elusive and effective runner, the team has no trouble going with reality and changing his role to fit it.

Another example of this was how Peters showed he could not be blocked as a pass rusher and next thing you know he was an ST stalwart.

The idea of Reed as a 3rd down RB type makes so sense because of his pass use as an RB. However, this probably has greater utility for getting some use out of Reed than being a real need for the Bills in terms of production as Shaud Williams looks very good as our 3rd down RB option.

This is the player Reed would have to be better than to get this role. My sense is that Reed would be a WR/RB while Williams would be a RB/pass catcher in this role. The question would likely be whether Williams can produce to be more like a WR than simply a pass-catcher.

I do like the idea that you bring in Reed on a down and distance where it is third and might be a run or might be a pass. If the opponents face this 3 receiver set by bringing in an extra CB to play the nickel, you line Reed up as an RB and run at this lighter CB. If however, the D treats him as an RB and keeps in a standard set with the LB then you line-up Reed as a WR.

Reed had a good first year when the double team assigned to Moulds and increasingly to Price as he produced meant Reed got to feast on LBs and 4th or 5th DBs on pass plays,

With Parrish hurtt, the key to this is probably the coverage Moulds/Evans draw.

The 2 days I spent at camp, Reed was catching everything.  Up, down, in, out....

Even a nasty looking Mathews wounded duck.

405639[/snapback]

Don't post things like that. He dropped 3 or 4 balls of the 12 thrown to him in the last 2 years. That proves beyond shadow of a doubt he is a flop.

Even though he is on the Bills you should hate him. Just read this board for your instructions.

The confusion for me is always this:

I listen to the Paul Hamilton reports on local WGR radio and he always talks about Reed dropping balls left and right in practice, and then when I go to camp (3 sessions this year), that proves to not be the case as he catches everything. I know what he does in the regular season has been evident but I don't understand the skewed reporting... :D

I listen to the Paul Hamilton reports on local WGR radio and he always talks about Reed dropping balls left and right in practice, and then when I go to camp (3 sessions this year), that proves to not be the case as he catches everything. I know what he does in the regular season has been evident but I don't understand the skewed reporting...  :D

405687[/snapback]

He turns up the intensity when you're there because he wants to impress you. :P

CW

I listen to the Paul Hamilton reports on local WGR radio and he always talks about Reed dropping balls left and right in practice, and then when I go to camp (3 sessions this year), that proves to not be the case as he catches everything. I know what he does in the regular season has been evident but I don't understand the skewed reporting...  :D

405687[/snapback]

Do you wear tight cut off shorts, no shirt, a red cowboy hat and are all sweaty and dirty to camp? Might be why.

Oh sorry wrong player, that's JP who would want to impress you. :P

Ok...we all know Josh Reed thinks the football is a disease he is afraid to catch.

But wasn't he a RB at LSU before he switched to WR?  Have the Bills ever considered him as a #2 3rd down back?

The only reason I ask....and I am not some Josh Reed fan, but if they owe him money, why not find a place to plug him in if he is failing at WR?

405634[/snapback]

I am still shocked that Reed did not do better at the slot position the last few years. I am a diehard Alabama fan and I watched this guy destroy the Tide every game that he played against them.

All the expectations I had have been gone for awhile, but i still think he has the capability to at least be a 3rd down short yardage threat.

I am still shocked that Reed did not do better at the slot position the last few years. I am a diehard Alabama fan and I watched this guy destroy the Tide every game that he played against them.

All the expectations I had have been gone for awhile, but i still think he has the capability to at least be a 3rd down short yardage threat.

406292[/snapback]

Who was the last slot receiver that thrived with Bledsoe at QB?