Does it make sense for Clements to resign now?

Will Clements resign now  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Will Clements resign now

• Yes, if TD and the Bills offer me Champ Bailey+ money
    • No, Even if TD wanted to the cap does not allow a Champ deal
    • Yes, I care about being a Bill more than I care about $
    • No, needed cap adjustments would damage our chances now
    • Yes, the current cap can absorb a good deal for me (here's how)
    • No, I call myself a playmaker and i want to play the free-market
    • Other (please explain)

Some folk are wailing that the Bills and TD simply ought to show lements the money and pay him.

I think the rub in this plan or attitude about TD is that as best as I can tell if i am Nate Clements there is no way I sign a new contract until after this season.

I certainly entertain offers from TD and the Bills right now because the sooner we start negotiating the quicker they increase their offers to me. However,

1. Champ Bailey got an $18 million bonus to play and as pointed out on this page there are big problems with his production and clearly I am in his ballpark as a player. TD needs to offer me Chump Bailey type $ to get me to sign.

2. There are real questions whether the cap would even allow him to make such an offer right now. The Bills currently have $3 million in cap space. it would take a six year deal merely to pro-rate an $18 million bonus. Add to that the vet minimum pay for this year and the fact that the market may well give me Chump+ money as the new cap is going way up.

3. Even if the Bills wanted to make a deal and were willing to give me $18 million and make the additional cuts and restructurings of players to create the cap room I think it would easily use up all cap room this year making it difficult for us to replace injured players not to mention taking advantage of a situation like the one that got us Millou. I have to care first about myself since no one else will. Nevertheless my teammates and the team are important to me if I am Clements and I want a world where I both get paid and the team is put in a good place to win. When the new cap hits the team will be in a far better position to do both things,

4. The bird in the hand definitely says Clements should make a good or great deal now rather than risk injury or having a bad year in the hope of getting a great to an outrageous deal from the free market. This is true but one of the things that allows Clements to be so good is an overwhelming confidence that he is actually better than he is. Clements has shown little reluctance to roll the dice for a huge payoff.

At any rate, i do not see Clements even wanting to resign to skip the free market or TD having many choices for paying what NC will probably get from the free market.

I hope I am wrong.

Cap gurus in particular I am curious how long a deal we can sign Clements to before the cap expires as I suspect this is the limit of how much of the bonus we can prorate.

Some folk are wailing that the Bills and TD simply ought to show lements the money and pay him.

I think the rub in this plan or attitude about TD is that as best as I can tell if i am Nate Clements there is no way I sign a new contract until after this season.

I certainly entertain offers from TD and the Bills right now because the sooner we start negotiating the quicker they increase their offers to me. However,

1. Champ Bailey got an $18 million bonus to play and as pointed out on this page there are big problems with his production and clearly I am in his ballpark as a player. TD needs to offer me Chump Bailey type $ to get me to sign.

2. There are real questions whether the cap would even allow him to make such an offer right now. The Bills currently have $3 million in cap space. it would take a six year deal merely to pro-rate an $18 million bonus.  Add to that the vet minimum pay for this year and the fact that the market may well give me Chump+ money as the new cap is going way up.

3. Even if the Bills wanted to make a deal and were willing to give me $18 million and make the additional cuts and restructurings of players to create the cap room I think it would easily use up all cap room this year making it difficult for us to replace injured players not to mention taking advantage of a situation like the one that got us Millou. I have to care first about myself since no one else will. Nevertheless my teammates and the team are important to me if I am Clements and I want a world where I both get paid and the team is put in a good place to win.  When the new cap hits the team will be in a far better position to do both things,

4. The bird in the hand definitely says Clements should make a good or great deal now rather than risk injury or having a bad year in the hope of getting a great to an outrageous deal from the free market.  This is true but one of the things that allows Clements to be so good is an overwhelming confidence that he is actually better than he is. Clements has shown little reluctance to roll the dice for a huge payoff.

At any rate, i do not see Clements even wanting to resign to skip the free market or TD having many choices for paying what NC will probably get from the free market.

I hope I am wrong. 

Cap gurus in particular I am curious how long a deal we can sign Clements to before the cap expires as I suspect this is the limit of how much of the bonus we can prorate.

405262[/snapback]

Good post, FFS.

I think he really wants to stay in Buffalo and might make some monetary concessions unless the deal TD offers him is nowhere near his ballpark figures. If he play the free agent market, then we have no chance of keeping him! :D

I'm the best cb in the league, on the #2 defense who's core players are young and has the right mix of veterans plus a mentor in troy vincent who could help me fine tune my game so I don't rest on my laurels and can only get better, if the bills hook me up with bailey type money I'll stay.

I'd love to see an explanation of how the Bills can even offer NC a contract under the current cap at Champ Bailey $.

Our current cap room only allows an $18 million dollar bonus to made if the bonus is prorated over 6 years abd then current players are cut to put together the room to pay NC the vet minimum.

1. With current CBA extension negotiations stalled as the owners fight with each other before they can even negotiate with the players I'm not even sure we can sign a contract long enough with NC to absorb an $18 million bonus.

2. Even if we could make such a deal it would:

A. Not only blow the Bills budget with NC making far more than any other Bill, but also:

B. Strip us of cap room making it hard to offer anything to a player on the waiver wire in case of injury and impossible to take advantage of situations like the Milloy deal. If NC signs now he knws he is crippling or virtually ending out playoff chances this year.

C. Eliminate the possibility of making other moves like extending McGee.

I'm not sure TD can make a deal unless NC is really willing to take significantly less than the market would give him. If you know how a deal can be done and what amount below the market Clements will take I am all eyes.