35,000 pounds of explosives

Fezmid

The truck driver, a passenger in the cab, a motorist and a motorcycle rider were hospitalized after the truck "pretty much vaporized," Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce said.

So the truck's pretty much gone, but the two people in it not only survived but are listed in fair condition? :blink: That's when you know it's time to play the lottery...

So the truck's pretty much gone, but the two people in it not only survived but are listed in fair condition?  :blink:  That's when you know it's time to play the lottery...

404786[/snapback]

Passersby dragged him and the passenger out *before* the truck exploded. The article wasn't written very well.

CW

Passersby dragged him and the passenger out *before* the truck exploded.  The article wasn't written very well.

CW

404797[/snapback]

I had to read it about 3 times before I realized that "accident, then rescue, then boom" was implied rather than explicitly stated.

So the truck's pretty much gone, but the two people in it not only survived but are listed in fair condition?  :blink: That's when you know it's time to play the lottery...

404786[/snapback]

You know that's exactly what I told my coworker when we saw that this morning.

It wasn't exactly clear from the context, was it?

I still say that, rescue or no, surviving the crash of a truck loaded with explosives is REALLY friggin' lucky.

404856[/snapback]

I wouldn't say so...I saw it happen at least a dozen times on CHiPS... :blink:

Someone is going to find themselves in a bind. Rollover or not, it shouldn't have exploded. Most modern explosives require an initiator - they don't spontaneously go off, especially when new and stable and they shouldn't be transported together. If for some reason they are, they should be packaged to prevent big holes in the highway.

I've been hearing all about it in the news here. Quite an amazing thing. The crater left behind is HUGE, and I can't believe nobody died from it.

What sucks is that I'm driving to visit my mother tomorrow in New Mexico, and that's the route we take. We have to go pretty far out of the way now to get around that.

I wouldn't say so...I saw it happen at least a dozen times on CHiPS...  :blink:

404867[/snapback]

Taking a low value for the pressure wave of a high explosive,

3000 feet/second = 1000 yards/sec = 100 yard dash for HE is 0.1 second.

So actors do better than .1 seconds. They should quit acting and play football. ;)

I've been hearing all about it in the news here. Quite an amazing thing. The crater left behind is HUGE, and I can't believe nobody died from it.

What sucks is that I'm driving to visit my mother tomorrow in New Mexico, and that's the route we take. We have to go pretty far out of the way now to get around that.

404875[/snapback]

or you can floor it and go over it....I've seen that executed perfectly more than once on CHiPs too... :blink:

You don't think they'll have it fixed by then? "Yeah, just put a 'DIP' sign 100 feet ahead of it on both sides...that oughtta do it."

God bless that road. It was a road that changed Rube's world...

or you can floor it and go over it....I've seen that executed perfectly more than once on CHiPs too...  :blink:

You don't think they'll have it fixed by then?  "Yeah, just put a 'DIP' sign 100 feet ahead of it on both sides...that oughtta do it."

God bless that road.  It was a road that changed Rube's world...

404886[/snapback]

That's what the dumb ass on the Bay Bridge right after Loma Prietta thought.

I wouldn't say so...I saw it happen at least a dozen times on CHiPS...  :D

404867[/snapback]

Per episode. "Bottom of the hour...time for some cheap K-cars to roll over through an intersection while a tanker truck drives through and explodes for no discernable reason..."

I remember back when I was in 2nd grade, a couple miles from my house a truck from the local quarry overheated and caught fire...as people started to approach to help, the driver jumped out and started shouting "Run! I'm carrying dynamite!" or such. Truck did eventually blow itself to hell...but the thing that amazes me, thinking back, is that people actually DID run from it. Nowadays, you'd get a bunch of yahoos pulling out lawn chairs to watch the show, thinking they're safe because no one ever gets hurt by explosions on TV...