Does anyone know where to get Weck rolls

envirojeff

Just go to any grocery store and buy some regular kaiser rolls.

Brush some melted butter and egg on them.

Sprinkle them with some caraway and some coarse sea salt.

Toss them in the oven for a few minutes and you have fresh hot weck rolls.

Cya

Something I never thought about, that SDS turned me onto is that one can go to any major chain grocery, like Safeway, and just order them special. I've done that for getting special dog buns and stuff before, but it never crossed my mind that you could get something more regional.

You can make them yourself, but it might not hurt to hit the local Publix and find out.

Having trouble

Jeff

404315[/snapback]

Living here in Florida I'd say:

Hey Jeff, I just call Publix, they make them fresh for me. " How many do you want Mr. Erynthered?"

I've been calling and ordering from them for over 15 years. If their not sure of the ingredients, tell them, they'll make it how you want them.

Go Bills! :D

I was just thinking about this tonight on my drive home from night practice. You can easily do it yourself. Buy the frozen hard rolls or just bread dough. Roll into balls - wet the top with a little water - sprinkle on the sea salt and the wyck seeds and bake

Thats a good idea to call up the Grocery Store. I wonder if Albertsons or HEB would do that here.

I know I'm gonna get to see the Houston game with my friends here since its on local TV, might as well make some Beef on Weck to go along with it! The only thing that could make it better is maybe some PJs and some decent beer.

Having trouble

Jeff

404315[/snapback]

The Publix bakery (in Rockledge) will make some up for me if I give them a days notice, they're very nice about the whole thing not even requiring a minimum order or anything ....... my guess is the bakery manager is an ex western New Yorker ..... I never abuse this gold mine with small family sized orders, but wait until I'm having a sizable party and wish to indoctrinate some friends into the Beef on Weck appriciation society.

Come to think about it Publix has been pretty darn good about getting things ..... a few years ago my entire family was visiting Florida from Buffalo during Football season ....... I told them I would treat them to a tailgate party "Florida style" ..... they were surprised when it consisted of Beef on Weck, Chicken wings, and Genny, Publix got me the Weck, Genny, and Franks hot sauce for the wings.

What are they like? Caraway seed throughout or a kaiser with the seed and salt egg-washed on top?

404887[/snapback]

More like the kaiser with the seed and salt. They're really good, really, honest, no kidding, really. I have no reason for gain to lie to you, soooooooooo, there you go!!

;):blink:

More like the kaiser with the seed and salt. They're really good, really, honest, no kidding, really. I have no reason for gain to lie to you, soooooooooo, there you go!!

:P  :blink:

404893[/snapback]

Yes, they are pretty good. But I live in the Land That Food Forgot, so even getting a decent kaiser roll is difficult.

I cook up a cheap rump roast, because the sliced roast beef sold here has some wacky spice mix, and has a rainbow-like sheen reminiscent of fish oil.

On the other hand, you can get a 4-egg omelet with cheese, with toast, ham, bacon, pancakes, sausage gravy and biscuits 24 hours a day here. And that's off of the children's menu... ;)

Yes, they are pretty good. But I live in the Land That Food Forgot, so even getting a decent kaiser roll is difficult.

I cook up a cheap rump roast, because the sliced roast beef sold here has some wacky spice mix, and has a rainbow-like sheen reminiscent of fish oil.

On the other hand, you can get a 4-egg omelet with cheese, with toast, ham, bacon, pancakes, sausage gravy and biscuits 24 hours a day here.  And that's off of the children's menu... ;)

404920[/snapback]

Of course you get your chili complete with pasta as well. :blink: