Congratulations America

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didnt read all the replys, so sorry if this has been said.

america has very low gas prices compared to a majority of the world. people want V8 trucks and SUVs that go 100 miles before needing to stop and fill there huge gas tanks. its the price for relying on a material that the US does not have control over.

that said. that is A LOT to pay for gas. to bad we arnt willing to do anything to decrease eather the cost, or our reliance on oil.

We really deserve this price hike becuz we don't really give a sh-- about it all. Alaska will be opened up in vain to somehow bring that price down. LMAO, like as if that's going to make us self-sufficient!

We should've started looking for alternative energy sources right after that oil crisis in the late 70's. But as Americans who can't bare to spend a little extra in the short run so that we can profit later for it in the long run, do really deserve the reaming we're getting from the Arabs.

i didnt read all the replys, so sorry if this has been said.

america has very low gas prices compared to a majority of the world. people want V8 trucks and SUVs that go 100 miles before needing to sot and fill there huge gas tanks. its the price for relying on a material that the US does not have control over.

that said. that is A LOT to pay for gas. to bad we arnt willing to do anything to decrease eather the cost, or our reliance on oil.

404240[/snapback]

Well said, ch. Lots of truth there.

when people talk of "new fuels" most other people think they are some geek who just finished watching star trek.

most if not all new "hybred" cars look all futuristic, and cost to much. (though the price has dropped). people dont always wnat to drive around in a flashy car.

if they made a toyota camry with a hybred engin, that cost close to the same as a normal car, i think it would sell. but people dont like change. a car is a big investment to "try something new" on.

and i really dont think oil companys or car companys want to build new engins or cars to fit them. they dont think people will buy them.

but i believe if you own a hybred, you get a tax break. so maybe the gov. is doing something after all. :D

2.70 out where i live.

Blame President Bush imo.

404181[/snapback]

Yes, somehow it has to be his fault. :D

What happened to the "No War for Oil" crowd? After our "imperialistic crusade" in the Middle East, you'd think we'd have all the free oil we'd ever need. Oh well, I guess it's not important for arguments against President Bush to actually make sense.

when people talk of "new fuels" most other people think they are some geek who just finished watching star trek.

most if not all new "hybred" cars look all futuristic, and cost to much. (though the price has dropped). people dont always wnat to drive around in a flashy car.

if they made a toyota camry with a hybred engin, that cost close to the same as a normal car, i think it would sell. but people dont like change. a car is a big investment to "try something new" on.

and i really dont think oil companys or car companys want to build new engins or cars to fit them. they dont think people will buy them.

but i believe if you own a hybred, you get a tax break. so maybe the gov. is doing something after all.  :D

404256[/snapback]

Hybrid cars do sell. There's a waiting list for most of them.

And there are a bunch of companies making hybrid versions of their best selling cars.

Increase demand from China and India. Tree huggers not letting the US drill in ANWR or other new places. No new refineries built in 20 years (NIMBY).15-20 formulations of gas (regional) to conform to various state laws (when a refineriy is down, the gas can't be shipped in from another region).

That is why gas is going up.

Tree huggers not letting the US drill in ANWR 

404273[/snapback]

Sorry Wack, I got to disagree on this point.

The amount of oil in ANWAR is projected to be about 10.3 billion barrels, and would be consumed in about 1.5 years. I don't think drilling in ANWAR will make a dent in demand for foreign oil. People have soccer games to drive to in thier SUVs man!

Actually i can blame George Bush because IRAQ isn't anywhere close to running at full capacity for Oil production. This was caused by the War. The oil lines have been destroyed on several occassions by the insurgents. Since IRAQ is one of the largest Oil Producers in the world and it's production is down this means Demand > supply. This is why we are seeing high prices.

When Oil prices went up during the Clinton's Term he made a personal visit to the Middle east to get them to start producing more a day. I don't see Bush doing that. He likes to hide at Camp David.

Actually i can blame George Bush because IRAQ isn't anywhere close to running at full capacity for Oil production.  This was caused by the War.  The oil lines have been destroyed on several occassions by the insurgents.  Since IRAQ is one of the largest Oil Producers in the world and it's production is down this means Demand > supply.  This is why we are seeing high prices.

When Oil prices went up during the Clinton's Term he made a personal visit to the Middle east to get them to start producing more a day.  I don't see Bush doing that.  He likes to hide at Camp David.

404309[/snapback]

Go look at what we were importing from Iraq prior to the war. Then come on back here. As far as a percentage of oil.

!@#$, is it "idiot day" here today? :D

Go look at what we were importing from Iraq prior to the war. Then come on back here. As far as a percentage of oil.

!@#$, is it "idiot day" here today? :D

404312[/snapback]

Pretty much. Why should today be any different than any other day?

Actually i can blame George Bush because IRAQ isn't anywhere close to running at full capacity for Oil production.  This was caused by the War.  The oil lines have been destroyed on several occassions by the insurgents.  Since IRAQ is one of the largest Oil Producers in the world and it's production is down this means Demand > supply.  This is why we are seeing high prices.

When Oil prices went up during the Clinton's Term he made a personal visit to the Middle east to get them to start producing more a day.  I don't see Bush doing that.  He likes to hide at Camp David.

404309[/snapback]

Right, and Saddam could have turn of the oil anytime he wanted, and used pild profits it to pay for suicide bombings and such.

When Clinton was President, there was some slack in oil production, meaning the was some spare capacity. Since Clinton sold our secrets to China, they're economy is booming, and they need all the oil they can get. No more extra capicity. Going over to the Middle East and asking them to pump more would nothing. Plus, a lot of the price is due the "fear factor" that terrorist could strike Saudi Arabia, or Iran could hault production if U.N. acts against their nuclear policy.

The only extra spare capacity for oil right now is Mexico. THey have a ton of it, but their goverment is so messed up and crooked, they can't pull themselves to together and go get it.

So in other words, Wrong & Wrong

404309[/snapback]

Big deal. Consumption is expected to outstrip maximum production in something like 15 years - how much accessible oil we pull out now, whether in Iraq or in Alaska, only moves that date up slightly. Improving the rate of production and processing of the accessible reserves doesn't change the fact that over the next 50 years we will run out of oil for everyday use (ie transportation). Over the past 20 years we've gotten pretty good at understanding geology, and are increasingly unlikely to find we have missed any meaningfull reserves.

It's several factors, and Bush has relatively little to do with it. The US has limited refining capacity to go with it's increasing demand. That is partly de to the fact that refineries tend to be big dirty plants that stink up the air and irritate environmentalists. It's hard for oil refiners to get the permits to build a new plant.

China's rapidly increasing demand is probably the biggest factor.

Then some experts believe we have reached what I believe is called the Humboldt threshhold, the point of peak oil production. From here on out the new oil discoveries that are made will not keep pace with the declining production from existing oil fields. It's simple supply and demand, folks. There's increasing demand, and decreasing supply. The price has to go up until it serves as a deterent to demand. Alternative energy sources and greater efficiency is no longer a luxury. It will become more and more a necessity.

Getting production from Iraq would provide some temporary relief, but we're probably better off facing these things now rather than putting it off until there's no oil left at all.

We really deserve this price hike becuz we don't really give a sh-- about it all.  Alaska will be opened up in vain to somehow bring that price down.  LMAO, like as if that's going to make us self-sufficient!

We should've started looking for alternative energy sources right after that oil crisis in the late 70's.  But as Americans who can't bare to spend a little extra in the short run so that we can profit later for it in the long run, do really deserve the reaming we're getting from the Arabs.

404248[/snapback]

Alaska's already "opened up" and the fact that you think that ANWR is even thought of in that vein shows how little you fathom about the situation.

If the leases were given today, it'd be 10 YEARS before America saw a drop of oil from the reserve and it'd be likely that we wouldn't be able to refine it. Most of that is due to the ignorant populace - which you are obviously a member of.

:D I just past my gas pump where I live and gas is now 2.54 a gallon....what in the birthday cake is going on with the prices?  Are we headed for another oil crisis  like the one in the late 70's?  I just cannot believe the prices these days. 

What is causing it?  Is it the SUV's?  Iraq war and US military guzzing gas? 

I fear something is seriously wrong......I think it will be time to get a hybrid the next new car I get......ridiculous!!! :D

404173[/snapback]

I'm buying a motorcycle. Its ridiculous right now, I'm paying $250 a month in car payment, $100 insurance, plus right now about $100 in gas. Thats $450 a month I'm spending on something I use to take me to and from work, and to run an occasional errand! I'm lookinf for a bike around $1500-$2000, insurance is like $50 a year, and gas is like $10 a week. I'm done driving cars, its ridiculous.

:D I just past my gas pump where I live and gas is now 2.54 a gallon....what in the birthday cake is going on with the prices?  Are we headed for another oil crisis  like the one in the late 70's?  I just cannot believe the prices these days. 

What is causing it?  Is it the SUV's?  Iraq war and US military guzzing gas? 

I fear something is seriously wrong......I think it will be time to get a hybrid the next new car I get......ridiculous!!! :D

404173[/snapback]

There are several causes:

1. Lack of oil refineries in the USA. Arab oil is higher in sulfer and most American plants can't handle it. Also, we simply don't have enough of them. Cities won't allow companies to build more because they are unsightly, create pollution and are likely terrorist targets.

2. China, India and a couple of other countries have added to an increased demand. Supply and demand, if demand is bigger than the supply price goes up. China's demand will continue to increase as they continue to industrialize.

3. America has about 5% (300 million out of 5.5 billion) of the world's population yet we use up almost 40% of world oil. Doesn't leave all that much for the other 95% of the world's population now does it?

The USA is suppose to full of smart bright people, than why haven't we imbrased new technologies. All we want is massive SUV's. Hummer get great gas milage. Plus we drive everywhere. When's the last time you rode a bus, or train? And can't the forward motion of a car not be used to create electricity to power the car? Maybe Ford, GM and Chrysler have a little too much influence over the policy makers in Washington! Gas engines are much cheaper to make and it take no new investment capital to continue to build them.