UB Bulls Preseason Ranking (per S.I.)

This could be UB's year............

.........to win 3 games.

From Sports Illustrated, numbers 110-119. Top 5 was USC, Texas, Florida, Michigan, Tennessee.

Western Michigan (the team they say UB can beat) is 109.

110 CENTRAL MICHIGAN 4-7 14

Junior tailback Jerry Seymour (163.8 all-purpose yards per game) has rushed for 100 yards in 14 of his 20 career games

111 BALL STATE 2-9 19

MAC Daddy: Cardinals' hard-hitting junior strong safety Erik Keys (84 tackles) is best defensive back in conference

112 IDAHO 3-9 19

Running backs Jayson Bird and Rolly Lumbala combined for 1,473 yards and 14 touchdowns as freshmen last season

113 SMU 3-8 21

Mustangs' leading tackler in '03, senior linebacker D.D. Lee, returns after missing most of last year with elbow injury

114 UTAH STATE 3-8 13

Sophomore Kevin Robinson was No. 2 in nation in punt returns (22.5 yards per game) and ran two back for touchdowns

115 ARKANSAS STATE 3-8 12

Cornerback Tyrell Johnson had 94 tackles, including 11 against LSU, and was All-Sun Belt as freshman

116 CENTRAL FLORIDA 0-11 15

Not-so Golden Knights: Central Florida owns the nation's longest active losing streak (15 games) and opens at South Carolina

117 FLORIDA ATLANTIC 9-3 8

Opposing quarterbacks would be wise to avoid senior cornerback Willie Hughley (43 tackles, 11 pass breakups, six picks)

118 BUFFALO 2-9 17

Oct. 1 game at Western Michigan is Bulls' best shot to break 17-game road losing streak

119 FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL 3-7 18

Mr. Irrelevant Bowl: Golden Panthers host fellow I-A newcomer Florida Atlantic on Nov. 26 in season finale for both teams

How long will that program remain division 1?

403774[/snapback]

They need to make this team competitive in the MAC or drop the program and go after hockey and/or lacrosse, both of which I believe could be very successful programs given the amount of interest in both sports in WNY and Southern Ontario.

I am not sure why from a recruiting and coaching standpoint it is so difficult for UB to compete with Western, Eastern and Central Michigan, Akron, Miami of Ohio, Toledo, Ohio U. etc... They have a great campus in a fairly large city(compared to the other schools) and should be able to make a go of it. The 1-11, 2-10 crap HAS GOT TO STOP!!! :(

They have a great campus

403788[/snapback]

I think the campus is pretty weak for being so new. It looks like a penitentary. But they are making progress with the football facilities. Hey, at least they can say they are sandwiched between two Florida teams in the preseason rankings! Nobody needs to know that it's not the Seminoles and Canes!

In their recent hiring of a new Director of Athletics, UB is looking to get a big push towards respectability. The man has a tremendous challange ahead of him, but then again, the basketball team has made a nice rise, and the facilities are pretty good.

I think they may have to bring in a "name" coach to help the recruiting, because the teams history cetainly isn't doing them any favors.

GO BULLS!

How long will that program remain division 1?

403774[/snapback]

Until the money spent for their stadium is amortized, I suppose. In my view, the team was resurrected so that construction companies could get their palms greased and that UB could include the team as some sort of attraction for new (paying) students.

Pretty negative, eh? :(

The football team makes me embarassed to say that I go to UB... It's a long-running joke among all us students about how horrible the team is and stuff. People don't go to the games to watch football... most seem to go there after pregaming so it is a little more bearable.

I don't know why they suck so much... but something's gotta change. I am on the gymnastics team and we got CUT to throw more money towards football and basketball, and apparently it's going to waste. Grrr :D

I think the campus is pretty weak for being so new.  It looks like a penitentary. 

403802[/snapback]

And that wasn't by accident either. It was built in the early 70's, a time of violent protest and unrest on many college campuses, therefore they built the campus with a layout that would hinder large gatherings of students. Before the new student union was constructed in the early 90's there was really no place on campus for large numbers of students to easily congregate.

And that wasn't by accident either.  It was built in the early 70's, a time of violent protest and unrest on many college campuses, therefore they built the campus with a layout that would hinder large gatherings of students.  Before the new student union was constructed in the early 90's there was really no place on campus for large numbers of students to easily congregate.

403866[/snapback]

It was the the State's UDC (Urban Development Corporation) that concocted the North campus. It was money and graft.

And that wasn't by accident either.  It was built in the early 70's, a time of violent protest and unrest on many college campuses, therefore they built the campus with a layout that would hinder large gatherings of students.  Before the new student union was constructed in the early 90's there was really no place on campus for large numbers of students to easily congregate.

403866[/snapback]

That's right. UB = Architectural experiment in riot prevention

The football team makes me embarassed to say that I go to UB...  It's a long-running joke among all us students about how horrible the team is and stuff.  People don't go to the games to watch football... most seem to go there after pregaming so it is a little more bearable. 

I don't know why they suck so much... but something's gotta change.  I am on the gymnastics team and we got CUT to throw more money towards football and basketball, and apparently it's going to waste.  Grrr :D

403862[/snapback]

Are you the UB student JP is "seeing?" I've heard wild things about you gymnastics girls.

As for the football, hey, at least the stadium is nice. What else are you going to do after drinking all day Saturday, right?

403866[/snapback]

I went there for four years and there were very few days where I didn't have some hippie reminding me of that fact.

"This whole school was designed to oppress us, man."

That's no excuse not to take a bath.

Anyway, the problem with North Campus isn't that it's designed funny (it's actually a decent design since you can get from most buildings to most other buildings walking inside tunnels and such instead of out in the snow), it's that we didn't build the campus in downtown Buffalo. Add tens of thousands of young people living downtown nearly year-round and you've got some economic jump right there. Oh well, it's Buffalo so everything has to be done the dumbass way.