Quite Frankly

If I were declared Supreme Ultimate Ruler, one of my first acts would be to have a PPV Death Match between SAS and Max Kellerman.  The winner would be shot in the head immediately after the match and society would be a better place.

Vote for AD!

403359[/snapback]

i find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

The winner would be shot in the head immediately after the match and society would be a better place.

Vote for AD!

403359[/snapback]

A shot to the head is entirely too lenient to SAS, I have never seen the show but the commercials alone make me want to shot myself in the head.

Perhaps I've missed something but what is it you want a vote for?

Sad how no one wants to see a brother get ahead. :(

403363[/snapback]

Nah... WE just hate SAS for being such a bandwagon jumping bombastic brown nosing POS. Many hate Rome and Kellerman for their reasons too. Also, my roomies, who are all brothers, all hate him too for many reasons, including arrogance.

403363[/snapback]

Ha... I think the most endearing thing about SAS is that he is black. Without that fact, he wouldn't even have gotten this show. The guy is just an idiot.

403363[/snapback]

Quite frankly, Screamin' A. Smith has already gotten "ahead" so it doesn't matter if anyone wants him to or not. He's a success and is rising through the ranks quickly. Check out last week's SI for an interesting (albeit predictable) story about him and the show. They built a whole frickin' studio for the guy, so I doubt he's gonig anywhere.

Me, I find him to be abhorent and impossible to listen to. I mean, the guy is totally begrudged by more than a few of his 'peers' in the Philadelphia print media pool for taking the easy way out of reporting and not doing all the dirty work involved in being an "insider". Well, this comes blazing through the TV screen if you ever bother to listen to him or watch his show(s). That's why I found it a joke when he was a "judge" on ESPN Dream Job (another joke-and-a-half). He's all bark and no content. His bawdy, brash opinions far outweigh any inside knowledge he may have, which is a shame, because I once thought of him as a very viable and gifted columnist.

I think the pinnacle of his insantiy came about when he compared Ron Artest being hit with a cup of soda to the 1960's South when people of color were sprayed by fire hoses and were bitten by police dogs. How shameful and over-reactionary.

He's a gimmick, but ESPN execs eat it up like candy, and they think we, the viewers, do as well. Whatever, he's got a show on ESPN2. It doesn't take a whole lot to attain that these days.

Now, if you REALLY want to talk about The Man keeping the BrotherMan down, let's talk about FOX pulling the plug on "The Magic Hour" back in 1998 after, what, two weeks? Shame, shame, shame Mr. Murdoch. :(

Good post, Kaz. To me, SAS is this generation's Cosell - either you like his style, or you absolutely cannot STAND him and would rather puncture your eardrums than listen to him.

He's riding the wave of sportswriters-on-TV that gave us Woody Paige and Skip Clueless doing a morning show, the aforementioned "I, MAX", and the "Around The Horn" soundbite shoutfest.

I admit being addicted to the original "Sports Reporters", and don't have a problem with PTI... but to me, the other shows are just overkill. (And mediocre overkill at that.)

But then, starting next week SAS's lead-in show will be "ESPN Hollywood", so what does that tell you?

Good post, Kaz. To me, SAS is this generation's Cosell - either you like his style, or you absolutely cannot STAND him and would rather puncture your eardrums than listen to him.

He's riding the wave of sportswriters-on-TV that gave us Woody Paige and Skip Clueless doing a morning show, the aforementioned "I, MAX", and the "Around The Horn" soundbite shoutfest.

I admit being addicted to the original "Sports Reporters", and don't have a problem with PTI... but to me, the other shows are just overkill. (And mediocre overkill at that.)

But then, starting next week SAS's lead-in show will be "ESPN Hollywood", so what does that tell you?

403758[/snapback]

I know you weren't equating Smith's journalistic abilities w/ Cosell's, Lori (he isn't even close), and I do agree w/ that ASSessment of him. I personally don't like him, but I don't want him shot dead in front of his pregnant wife and children either as some seem to.

Kellerman's Fox PTI ripoff (I, Max) is pathetic. He even took Michael Holley over there (both were Around the Horn staples; Kellerman was the original host while Holley was a frequent guest like the annoying Page) to be his sidekick. I watched that show a couple of times, and it is really awful. Around the Horn is only good for Tony 'Stat Boy' Reali. I like his wit and how he cuts the irritating jerks on the show down. When they get to bickering over each other, especially all @ once, the show becomes unbearable.

Now, PTI is a different story. Not only do we get Reali's quips @ the end of the show (my wife likes that part), but I genuinely like the back and forth between Kornheiser and Wilbon, both of whom are very good columnists. I even like when they get other good columnists on there to fill in when someone is off, like Jason Whitlock. As long as they stay clear of Page or Dan LeBatard, I'm good to go. I tivo PTI daily, even though I could watch it on ESPN Insider from work if I want to.

Other than PTI, you're hard pressed to find good programming on ESPN, other than when they actually have a football game on or the occasional Behind the Lines story (good, but Real Sports does it better than anyone).

I can't tolerate a single show on MTV, I mean ESPN. Baseball Tonight has been ruined by that joke of an "analyist" John Kruk and Steve Phillips, it's obvious the guy cares more about his hair then the game. And I'm sick of hearing about Harold Reynolds five hundred dollar DVD's to teach you how to play the game. About the only once worth a nickel in my book is Peter Gammons.

If I want to know scores I turn on ESPN News.

But, this isn't just about ESPN. It's about TV in general. I cannot believe the crap that is being put on the air. I can't tell you the last time I watched something other than a sporting event or a movie.

But, this isn't just about ESPN. It's about TV in general. I cannot believe the crap that is being put on the air. I can't tell you the last time I watched something other than a sporting event or a movie.

403795[/snapback]

Amen to that! I can't even tell you whats on primetime at 8 on NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX etc. TV is real lousy now.

Football, Hockey, History Channel and Encore. That's about it for me.