Are motorcycle riders stupid?

todd

Jeb Bush repealed that law down here in Florida. Idiot.

402709[/snapback]

So what? Just because helmets aren't mandatory doesn't meant that NOT wearing one is mandatory. Those are the kind of laws I'd like to see repealed...sure, I think anyone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet is an idiot, but I also think that people have the right to be idiots. Anyone who wants to ride without a helmet should be allowed to...but their families shouldn't B word about it when they get their skulls caved in.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The basic definition of Motherment.

402662[/snapback]

I agree with you, but, if you're a kid with an arsehole parent with no common sense, do you deserve to go to the grave for it?

I think kids under the driving age should by law have to wear them. Everyone else could set a good example by wearing them, or not wearing them and biting it.

I agree with you, but, if you're a kid with an arsehole parent with no common sense, do you deserve to go to the grave for it?

I think kids under the driving age should by law have to wear them.  Everyone else could set a good example by wearing them, or not wearing them and biting it.

403002[/snapback]

You also plan on having the government tell you what your kid can and can't eat?

Watch out what you wish for, you just might get it. If their parents are too stupid to belt 'em in, chances are launching them through a windshield is probably doing society a favor.

The duality of the Dummy's advocating youth safety rights along with prochoice has always been interesting to me.

You also plan on having the government tell you what your kid can and can't eat?

Watch out what you wish for, you just might get it.  If their parents are too stupid to belt 'em in, chances are launching them through a windshield is probably doing society a favor.

The duality of the Dummy's advocating youth safety rights along with prochoice has always been interesting to me.

403013[/snapback]

I fear that going there would take a lot longer than I have as regards the pro-choice issue.

I also think a law forces people to think twice about a situation. What do you think about speed limits? Sure, if they were eliminated, many people would drive safely because they should. But a lot more would go a lot faster because, hell, they want to. Using the law to allow people to police themselves better is not a bad thing, and I would argue that there is a line, your point about having the gov't tell us what to and not to eat being an extreme version on the other side.

My point is, the government already does tell you that you will be held responsible if you feed your kid poison. So why should it be any more legal to put them at another kind of risk?

So what?  Just because helmets aren't mandatory doesn't meant that NOT wearing one is mandatory.  Those are the kind of laws I'd like to see repealed...sure, I think anyone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet is an idiot, but I also think that people have the right to be idiots.  Anyone who wants to ride without a helmet should be allowed to...but their families shouldn't B word about it when they get their skulls caved in.

402723[/snapback]

OK, let's do away with seat belt laws ,too then. ;)

Watch out what you wish for, you just might get it.  If their parents are too stupid to belt 'em in, chances are launching them through a windshield is probably doing society a favor.

403013[/snapback]

:doh::D;)

40 years ago we didn't have seatbelts, carseats, had metal dashboards and didn't wear bicycle helmets. Somehow, many of us survived.

403055[/snapback]

And thousands more didn't survive who would have if we had the safety equipment and laws of today.

403013[/snapback]

Interesting? I suppose. Contradictory? Only to some people.

There is something to the idea that...

If you don't wear a helmet, you might be more careful about hitting your head! Think about it. People overall have become very careless because there is usually some regulation, law or device to help protect them from their stupidity. Look at warning labels.

I saw this crap creep into the Army as well. There was a time when I'd have a squad of infantry hanging onto my turret booking 40 mph down the road. Before I even left armor (late 70's), it was a rule that no one could ride any further than chest above out of a hatch. "Nametag defilade", for those who remember.

There is something to the idea that...

If you don't wear a helmet, you might be more careful about hitting your head! Think about it. People overall have become very careless because there is usually some regulation, law or device to help protect them from their stupidity. Look at warning labels.

I saw this crap creep into the Army as well. There was a time when I'd have a squad of infantry hanging onto my turret booking 40 mph down the road. Before I even left armor (late 70's), it was a rule that no one could ride any further than chest above out of a hatch. "Nametag defilade", for those who remember.

403093[/snapback]

It occurs to me that I have had discussions with muslims about whether or not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is an affront to Allah. Their opinion was that to wear a helmet was not to trust your life to Allah, so they were also reluctant to wear seatbelts in an airplane. Sounds Crazy, but true. I'm talking late 80's early 90's.

It is FAR more dangerous to drive a motorcycle with or without a helmet than a car with no seatbelt.

Maybe we should simply ban motorcycles. Hey, I like that idea!

At the VERY least, they should be banned from public roads, or privately owned roads to which there is public access. I am tired of my tax dollars going toward these imperfect persons (motorcycle riders).

402663[/snapback]

The explain the bizzare state of Illinois where there is no helmet law for ANYBODY on a bike... Even kids... Yet, it has one of the toughest seat-belt laws on the planet... Kids needed to be boostered till 8 years.

I would like to se consistency.

No helmet law... Then no seat-belt law.

Helmet law... Then seat-belt law.

Then again, I am not a behavioral controlling, uptight, holier than thou hipocryte who seeks to deny rights to property owners and apartment dwellers, and then pose a a "conservative."  ;)

402698[/snapback]

I couldn't resist this one Bill... :doh:

But, you should be one (behavioral controlling)... It was actually your job. Then again maybe it wasn't? By the mere presence of law enforcement and the uniform, isn't that controlling behavior? You are still trying to create a deterent?

It is because you were a cop. It is a common fact that people don't like to do any work.

Hell, I hate boats.

:D

I couldn't resist this one Bill... :D

But, you should be one (behavioral controlling)... It was actually your job.  Then again maybe it wasn't?  By the mere presence of law enforcement and the uniform, isn't that controlling behavior?  You are still trying to create a deterent?

It is because you were a cop.  It is a common fact that people don't like to do any work.

Hell, I hate boats.

;)

403123[/snapback]

Try sinking about 1 out of 20 or so. Might perk up the day. And what about those sunbathers?

I couldn't resist this one Bill... :doh:

But, you should be one (behavioral controlling)... It was actually your job.  Then again maybe it wasn't?  By the mere presence of law enforcement and the uniform, isn't that controlling behavior?  You are still trying to create a deterent?

It is because you were a cop.  It is a common fact that people don't like to do any work.

Hell, I hate boats.

;)

403123[/snapback]

Don't be absurd. It is not the job of police officers to control behavior. Their job is to protect and serve.

In NYC, police officers are now being used to augment the force of "health inspectors'" (who were hired as the city was laying off garbage men) to enforce the smoking ban in bars specifically. I am sorry, but in the wake of 9/11, London, etc., I am of the opinion that any person who feels good about this is misguided, or a literal idiot.

Call me crazy, but I believe that the rights of Americans should not be swept away by smug, intolerant, leftist yuppies and their naive, pseudo-conservative butt boys who stupidly do their bidding.

As far as "wanting to do work," you are right. After you scoop a few mutilated babies off of a floor, please tell me how much "work" YOU want to do.

Work to a cop can mean many things; the easiest of which being to summons a person for no seatbelt, or go into a bar where war veterans are having a beer and a smoke, and victimize the owner with a summons.

The average cop would rather drive by your home to make sure that your family is OK.

EIL, you ARE a funny person! :D

Try sinking about 1 out of 20 or so. Might perk up the day. And what about those sunbathers?

403126[/snapback]

What are you saying take pics and provide links? ;):D

Sinking? OTHER people have swamped 'em in the past. Remember, I might be an SOB on the surface but, when push comes to shove, I have a soft under belly for people in need... I will always help. I guess I must be a kitty because I am always trying to help the clueless bastards. Kinda like the blind leading the blind. It is just the thing that might get me killed or injured.

Don't be absurd. It is not the job of police officers to control behavior. Their job is to protect and serve.

In NYC, police officers are now being used to augment the force of "health inspectors'" (who were hired as the city was laying off garbage men) to enforce the smoking ban in bars specifically. I am sorry, but in the wake of 9/11, London, etc., I am of the opinion that any person who feels good about this is misguided, or a literal idiot.

Call me crazy, but I believe that the rights of Americans should not be swept away by smug, intolerant, leftist yuppies and their naive, pseudo-conservative butt boys who stupidly do their bidding.

As far as "wanting to do work," you are right. After you scoop a few mutilated babies off of a floor, please tell me how much "work" YOU want to do.

Work to a cop can mean many things; the easiest of which being to summons a person for no seatbelt, or go into a bar where war veterans are having a beer and a smoke, and victimize the owner with a summons.

The average cop would rather drive by your home to make sure that your family is OK.

EIL, you ARE a funny person!  :doh:

403154[/snapback]

Ya... If you don't control their future behavior you actually might have repeat customers. Then maybe we would not need cops? It is always the glamours work people want to do... People do feel their position deeply quite often.

;):D