Ricky Williams mental state?

Jason Taylor is a whiny self-important tool and Ricky Williams doesn't owe him as much as a ball of belly-button lint. If 'lil Ricky didn't want to play ball because his heart wasn't in it, then he was right to do exactly what he did. Taylor should have shut his pie-hole and spent his time trying to improve his pathetic one play per game average.

If I was Williams' teamate I wouldn't have had the slightest problem with him leaving the game if he wasn't feeling the fire any more. It's a hell of a lot better thing to do than staying with the team and half-assing his way through the season just for a paycheck. Now that would have been a good reason for his 'mates to jump on him.

It's like Parcells says "Sometimes you get up in the morning and you just don't want to go out there and hit 'em any more.....and there's NO shame in that."

I commend Ricky for having the guts to be true to himself and ignore the slings and arrows that were bongbar........, errr bombarding him from every direction. If his heart wasn't in it then walking away from the season was a far superior option to sleepwalking through it.

Cya

403031[/snapback]

So I guess if you are in the middle of a project at work and decide your heart's just not into it, you have no problem leaving the company, your co-workers, and the project in limbo? You're saying it's okay that your selfishness contributes to other people's failures simply because you just woke up one day and didn't feel like working anymore? And you don't need to give anyone any notice? It's just okay to leave your job and let everyone down...just because you don't feel like going out there and hitting anymore?

Jesus, Simon, he didn't step out of line at McDonalds because he decided he would rather have a Whopper instead of a Big Mac. He made a commitment. To the organization and to the people who play with him. And he broke that commitment with no fair warning whatsoever.

And all of this is okay with you....why? I can only assume you forget he's an employee and not some dude playing pickup football at the local Y.

There's such a thing as keeping your commitment. And there's also such a thing as ducking out of your commitment so you wouldn't get caught in a drug test...and then deciding to live up to your commitment because you don't want to give the money back.

Jason Taylor was right. A bunch of people are trying to accomplish the same goal...a goal that DEMANDS that everyone be on the same page. It doesn't help if you can't trust one of those people to stick it out with you.

So I guess if you are in the middle of a project at work and decide your heart's just not into it, you have no problem leaving the company, your co-workers, and the project in limbo? You're saying it's okay that your selfishness contributes to other people's failures simply because you just woke up one day and didn't feel like working anymore? And you don't need to give anyone any notice? It's just okay to leave your job and let everyone down...just because you don't feel like going out there and hitting anymore?

Jesus, Simon, he didn't step out of line at McDonalds because he decided he would rather have a Whopper instead of a Big Mac. He made a commitment. To the organization and to the people who play with him. And he broke that commitment with no fair warning whatsoever.

And all of this is okay with you....why? I can only assume you forget he's an employee and not some dude playing pickup football at the local Y.

There's such a thing as keeping your commitment. And there's also such a thing as ducking out of your commitment so you wouldn't get caught in a drug test...and then deciding to live up to your commitment because you don't want to give the money back.

Jason Taylor was right. A bunch of people are trying to accomplish the same goal...a goal that DEMANDS that everyone be on the same page. It doesn't help if you can't trust one of those people to stick it out with you.

403254[/snapback]

"Mine eyes have seen the glory, of the coming of the Lord..."

Seriously, as much as someone will become indignant in a heartbeat nowadays for being "dissed", the simple truth is most of this country has forgotten what pride is. Especially personal pride. Actually, predominantly personal pride. It seems as though the general mentality is often "Why make good on what I promised when I can cop out and someone will pay me more?" Seems like the definitions of personal pride might have changed. Guess I'm old.

I can't buy that analogy because the two worlds you're comparing are so wildly divergent.

The guy working on a project at his office doesn't need passion or desire to adequately do his job. He can go in, make his phone calls, figure his logistics, co-ordinate his people and delegate responsibility whether or not he gives a damn about the project or not. (Hell, that's the way most poor souls live their lives anyways) All he has to do is show up to work and nobody is stopping him.

On the other hand an NFL running back is constantly beset by big mean nasty people trying to rend him limb from limb. He can't just show up and do his job, he needs a lot of passion and desire for his craft. It's the only way he can keep coming back just to get his skull pounded every day. Without that passion he's just wasting his time and more importantly, his teammates'.

And all of this is okay with you....why?

I can't blame the guy for losing his fire. It's not like he intentionally lost his desire to play the game; it just happened. Like it happens to every single player at some point in their career. Maybe it will come back to him in a year, or three, or maybe it never will. Every guy is different so there's just no way to tell.

The way I see it is that Ricky lost his passion; it's not his fault and there's nothing he can do about it but wait and see when/if it returns. But in the mean time he only had two choices re: how to deal with it. The first choice was to step away and let somebody else replace him who did have the will to take the pounding. The second choice was to show up and half-ass his way through the season when he didn't even want to be there.

If I'm his teammate I'd MUCH rather him take option #1. I don't want somebody there who doesn't want to be there; all it does is sap energy from the rest of the team. I'd be disappointed that he was gone, but if instead he showed up and coasted all year THEN I'd be really pised off at him.

If some of his teammates want to vent their frustration at the loss of arguably thier best player, I understand that and don't begrudge them that. But to personally rip Williams for his decision, as opposed with just being disappointed with the situation itself is where I disagree. ANd I tend to disagree more strongly when the player is a complete kitty like JTaylor who I've seen quit on his team in the second half more than once in his career.

Cya

P.S. The fact that he came back when he probably doesn't want to play is far more disconcerting to me than the fact he left when he didn't want to play.

WOW what a nut! When asked, the other day, if he was excited about playing vs the Bears in the HOF game he said "Not really...." WHAT???

402521[/snapback]

Gee, a guy that's not very excited about playing pre-season game. Why is that so shocking? If he had lifted his head and said "I'm Batman!" I'd be worried. If he had said "You're pretty, I want to kiss you." Id be ckecking his brownies.

(he didnt run to good yesterday though).

402561[/snapback]

He's never run too well in pre-season. I remember his first year in Miami he was horrendous in the pre-season.

dude looked like a Yeti

402566[/snapback]

Yes, he does.