Camp Report 8/8

rockpile

As for Willis, he better learn to pass block, I don't want to be telegraphing our intentions every time we pass by having to pull Willis to the sidelines.  There will be times we will be in max protect and Willis will need to be able to block.  With his size and athletecism, there is no reason for him to not be able to block on occasion.

402559[/snapback]

This has been a concern for a few camps. LBs are just running over him. :D

Thanks Rock, appreciate your observations.  You ranked the QBs, how about the WRs?  Based on what you have seen can you list them (maybe your top 5?)?

As for the morning practice, what is the correct moniker for Lori?  Is she Miss Information or mis-information?  Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

402571[/snapback]

I prefer Ms. Thanks for asking.

Looks like the Rock already hit on most of the pertinent details; I'll just add a few random thoughts...

An amusing sight from STs: EVERYBODY got a chance to run through kickoff drills at least once - yes, including ALL our QBs. Losman lined up as the 'gunner' on the right side, but needless to say, there wasn't much contact on that runthrough....

For the talk about Woodbury at QB, it didn't look to me like he has much touch on the ball - he rifled one off Parrish's hands, then missed Lee badly on a swing pass. (Keep in mind, these are the only practices I've seen so far. Could have just been a bad day for him.)

Eric King impressed me - cut underneath Moulds to knock down a Losman pass in the AM, and overall looked pretty solid for a rook. On the drive to Buffalo, I heard Schopp/Bulldog discuss whether he's pushing Greer for the nickel job. My opinion? Very possible. (And with Kevin Thomas still PUP-ed, that could be a critical decision.)

Agree with Rockpile, Gates is also looking good. Needs work as a blocker, but surprised me a little with his quickness (for a bigger back). Definitely in the mix at #2 RB.

From the PM practice - in pads, over on the grass fields:

One-on-one LB/RB drills, Shelton stuffed Stamer. #57 came right back, though, and put Mark Campbell on the turf. Later, in the 7-on-7s, Stamer made a nice play knocking down a pass meant for Neufeld....

Chris Villarrial got the afternoon off, so Duke Preston lined up at RG with the starters.

I took my share of shots at Terrence McGee last season, so I'll give him some well-deserved credit here. Two INTs yesterday, one in each session. Jumped Evans' route in the afternoon to make the pick; JP's lookoff could have been better....

The two-minute drill to end practice finished with some excitement. On 3rd and long from about midfield, Denney got a good push into the backfield. Losman scrambled right to avoid him, then fired a home run ball to Moulds, who made the leaping catch (while being hit) for the TD.

The D got it back on the second play of Holcomb's series, though - his throw was tipped at the LOS, Sam Adams snagged the pop fly, then lateraled to Nate Clements for the TD return. Lots of hootin' and hollerin' by the defensive players as the whistle blew to end the session.....

Staying in Amherst today, but I'll see y'all back out at SJF tomorrow.

Sure, I leave early to miss traffic and look what happens! See you tomorrow.

Mike if you go, I am wearing my #81 Rockpile jersey and will be in the stands, so I do not want to hear any "chit" about not seeing you! ;)

Anyone going to the super secret VIP night practice tomorrow?

I prefer Ms. Thanks for asking.

Looks like the Rock already hit on most of the pertinent details; I'll just add a few random thoughts...

An amusing sight from STs: EVERYBODY got a chance to run through kickoff drills at least once - yes, including ALL our QBs. Losman lined up as the 'gunner' on the right side, but needless to say, there wasn't much contact on that runthrough....

For the talk about Woodbury at QB, it didn't look to me like he has much touch on the ball - he rifled one off Parrish's hands, then missed Lee badly on a swing pass. (Keep in mind, these are the only practices I've seen so far. Could have just been a bad day for him.)

Eric King impressed me - cut underneath Moulds to knock down a Losman pass in the AM, and overall looked pretty solid for a rook. On the drive to Buffalo, I heard Schopp/Bulldog discuss whether he's pushing Greer for the nickel job. My opinion? Very possible. (And with Kevin Thomas still PUP-ed, that could be a critical decision.)

Agree with Rockpile, Gates is also looking good. Needs work as a blocker, but surprised me a little with his quickness (for a bigger back). Definitely in the mix at #2 RB.

From the PM practice - in pads, over on the grass fields:

One-on-one LB/RB drills, Shelton stuffed Stamer. #57 came right back, though, and put Mark Campbell on the turf. Later, in the 7-on-7s, Stamer made a nice play knocking down a pass meant for Neufeld....

Chris Villarrial got the afternoon off, so Duke Preston lined up at RG with the starters.

I took my share of shots at Terrence McGee last season, so I'll give him some well-deserved credit here. Two INTs yesterday, one in each session. Jumped Evans' route in the afternoon to make the pick; JP's lookoff could have been better....

The two-minute drill to end practice finished with some excitement. On 3rd and long from about midfield, Denney got a good push into the backfield. Losman scrambled right to avoid him, then fired a home run ball to Moulds, who made the leaping catch (while being hit) for the TD.

The D got it back on the second play of Holcomb's series, though - his throw was tipped at the LOS, Sam Adams snagged the pop fly, then lateraled to Nate Clements for the TD return. Lots of hootin' and hollerin' by the defensive players as the whistle blew to end the session.....

Staying in Amherst today, but I'll see y'all back out at SJF tomorrow.

402778[/snapback]