Jets release Ray Mickens

You know, I was thinking that when they signed Law, he would be a possible cap casualty. His salary was to be 1.2 mil.

I remember reading that where he said that he would be happy if Law signed with the jests. Imo, this indicates that he is a "team player."

He is small and unspectacular, but at the right price, I would take him in a minute.

I think if you wanted to make an argument of Donahoe's positions of strength in draft analysis it's CB where he'd rate the highest- I like KThomas and he should be 350-400K cheaper agains the cap than rostering up an old vet like Mickens.

I think if you wanted to make an argument of Donahoe's positions of strength in draft analysis it's CB where he'd rate the highest- I like KThomas and he should be 350-400K cheaper agains the cap than rostering up an old vet like Mickens.

402100[/snapback]

What type of surgery landed him on the PUP list? Something he is expected to fully recover from in time for Game 1?

What type of surgery landed him on the PUP list?  Something he is expected to fully recover from in time for Game 1?

402105[/snapback]

I missed it, this is from the Press Release:

"has been bothered by a right knee injury since spring mini-camps.

"He's on the PUP list until he gets healed up a little better," Buffalo coach Mike Mularkey said Saturday night.

There is no date set for Thomas' return."

402100[/snapback]

I thought that Thomas played poorly in early 04, but he did improve. I have seen Mickens for years, and would feel much better if he was pressed into starting duty via injury than I would with Thomas.

Tell me, would Thomas HAVE to be cut if they signed Mickens?

Tell me, would Thomas HAVE to be cut if they signed Mickens?

402140[/snapback]

Not at all- Thomas would remain but the question is the amount of the cap hit taken by the Nickel spot and whether the 300 or 400K can be better used at other positions.

K Thomas aside, don't forget about the nice progress shown so far by last year's post draft FA Jabari Greer. Also there is this years draft pick King who's shown well so far in camp. There's really no need for such a move barring a couple injuries.

I don't think that the extra $350-400K the Bills would save by NOT signing Mickens would make the difference between getting a better player elsewhere and not. Also I think that Thomas might be best served be placed on the PUP list. He hasn't practiced with the team yet and likely won't before the season starts. All the more reason to get a proven nickel CB like Mickens. Then allow Greer and King to develop at their own pace.

To make room for Ty Law, the Jets released CB Ray Mickens.  Worth a look as a nickel CB?  I think so.

402066[/snapback]

I'm all for looking at other players cut as as possible roster addition, but unless he's a LT, then I think we don't need him.