Jets paid a lot for Ty Law

Jets | More about Law Deal

Mon, 8 Aug 2005 05:45:44 -0700

The New York Post reports CB Ty Law's deal with the New York Jets is a three-year, $23 million contract. "It's a done deal," a Jets insider told the Post Sunday evening, August 7, after Law had spent the afternoon on Long Island at the team's Hempstead training complex. The deal had been held up because the Jets had wanted a clause to protect them in the event that Law re-injured his foot. The deal is worth $6 million per season and included a $5 million signing bonus.

So that means about $7.67 million on the cap each season for him. Probably worth it IF he is back to his old form, but still a lot of money. That is a very big if. If, however, he is not back, it would cost them 7.67 this season and about 3.4 million against the cap next year to cut him after one season.

I agree that this is a huge risk - Tons of money for a player that hasn't been on the field for a long time.

This also must put a huge wrench in the Abraham negotiations.

I am glad the Jets did this - it may pay off but I wouldn't have been happy if the Bills risked this much on one player of questionable health (and age).

We shall see !

Go Bills!!

-RnJ

My question would have to be is this guy going to make it a whole season? And, wow they dropped a ton of cash on the guy (for not being healthy last year and all). He IS worth the cash? Only if he can maintain the "shut down" corner status like he once was. But, one has to question.. Are those days for Law over? Is he past his prime? I think the Jets may have flushed some cash down the crapper. Lets hope so.

I can't even imagine how the Jets were able to find that kind of cap room for Law. This is going to inflate the salaries of CBs, especially young ones. Nate will want more than Law. He really deserves it too. No injuries, fast, can return the ball. He's a great shut down corner. Chad Johnson was killed last year by him. I will be thrilled, but shocked if he resigns with us.

Wow...talk about overspending for a guy who could barely stand up a month ago...

Even Law admitted in that ESPN interview that he has lost a lot of the speed that made him so dangerous early in his career (saying that his technique now carries him)...Mr. Law...meet Mr. Evans.

I think the only impact here is that it could well cost us Clements. I don't think Evans or Parrish have a lot of concern about Law. Looks like the top 5 average just got pretty skewed, but have to look it up to be sure.

I think the only impact here is that it could well cost us Clements. I don't think Evans or Parrish have a lot of concern about Law. Looks like the top 5 average just got pretty skewed, but have to look it up to be sure.

401876[/snapback]

I don't even think this contract makes the top five for corners.

So that means about $7.67 million on the cap each season for him. Probably worth it IF he is back to his old form, but still a lot of money. That is a very big if. If, however, he is not back, it would cost them 7.67 this season and about 3.4 million against the cap next year to cut him after one season.

401795[/snapback]

the cap number will be low the first year........standard jets strategy......no way he is making 6M in salary for '05.......and i think the length will be more then 3 years, but the deal will be structured to last 3 years (probably a large roster bonus put in for off-season '08)......

the cap number will be low the first year........standard jets strategy......no way he is making 6M in salary for '05.......and i think the length will be more then 3 years, but the deal will be structured to last 3 years (probably a large roster bonus put in for off-season '08)......

401886[/snapback]

You're right to some degree. I misread the info a bit. But the contract is clearly for three years and not more, and even though the cap number will not be 7.67 this year, I doubt very much it will be low. He still has three years and 18 mil in salary. He is not going to sign a deal that gives him salaries of 1 mil, then 4, then 13 million. It is going to be 3 mil, 6 mil, 9 mil at the least. So his cap may be 4.67 this year, 7.67 next year, 10.67 in year three.

You're right to some degree. I misread the info a bit. But the contract is clearly for three years and not more , and even though the cap number will not be 7.67 this year, I doubt very much it will be low. He still has three years and 18 mil in salary. He is not going to sign a deal that gives him salaries of 1 mil, then 4, then 13 million. It is going to be 3 mil, 6 mil, 9 mil at the least. So his cap may be 4.67 this year, 7.67 next year, 10.67 in year three.

401898[/snapback]

we shall see when the jets hold their press conference this afternoon......nothing is official until then....

How much leverage could that be for Nate?

401859[/snapback]

Was it my imagination or did the TV crew from the scrimmage on Friday night mention that NC and his agent are negotiating to make him the highest paid corner in the league?

If I did hear this, which I'm pretty sure I did, though I did have a few Red Stripes in me, something tells me that the Bills and NC were waiting to find out what shook out of the Ty Law contract. It's my guess that the Bills wanted to see what the Jests gave Law before they presented NC a new contract. The signing bonus money for one player is always a factor in another players contract. I seriously doubt that Law's contract will create any problems with Nate's negotiation. TD knows that he probably has one of the top 5 corners in the league here and will need to step up and offer something substantial to keep him here.

I really think that he will be signed to a new deal before the final pre-season game.

You're right to some degree. I misread the info a bit. But the contract is clearly for three years and not more, and even though the cap number will not be 7.67 this year, I doubt very much it will be low. He still has three years and 18 mil in salary. He is not going to sign a deal that gives him salaries of 1 mil, then 4, then 13 million. It is going to be 3 mil, 6 mil, 9 mil at the least. So his cap may be 4.67 this year, 7.67 next year, 10.67 in year three.

401898[/snapback]

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8716360

"........The deal could be worth as much as $28.5 million for the first three years and as much as $50 million over seven years, agent Carl Poston said........"

7 year contract for cap purposes......would have made no sense to do a 3 year deal......his cap number will be low the first year, just like the jets always do........

I think this is a good signing for the Jets...Although, they gave up some depth by having to drop Mickens for him. He may not be back to his old form, but Law certainly would be a better starting corner than Pete Hunter. As far as watching any one on one matchups on Law, I don't think there will be a whole lot of them. The Jets like to play a ton of zone defense in the secondary, which helps out. I am looking forward to the matchup between the Bills and Jets twice this year, because I think they are going to be good hard fought defensive battles.