Matt's Defensive Line Observations

Okay, so I reviewed the scrimmage on TiVo again, this time focusing on the Bills’ D-Line. It seemed to me that they were getting great pressure, so I wanted to see if I could figure out how they were doing it. Here’s what I saw:

Starting Defensive Line:

90-Chris Kelsay

95-Sam Adams

98-Ron Edwards

94-Aaron Schobel

The Bills started the game and played only four or five downs in this configuration, blitzing a LB on half the plays. They got decent pressure with four rushers when Sam Adams was one of the guys rushing.

The configuration used much more by the Bills was to have the strong-side LB 96-Posey playing right up at the line, outside of 90-Kelsay. They did this for 12-15 plays, making it 5 players right up on the line for most of them, and rushing 5 or 6 players on about half of these plays. Posey would sometimes rush from the outside, but would more often take a hop toward the play, read pass-or-run and fall off on pass plays (covering TE, RB, FB, WR in zone). For run plays, he’d already be up to the line, moving the right direction to intercept the run. For runs, it usually looked like Kelsay had assignment to contain edge while Posey knifed into the middle.

I was surprised how many plays the Bills did not have two DT’s on the field. They lined up three DEs on the line 4-5 times (not counting goal-line plays), usually with 92-Denney outside of Kelsay. For these plays, Denney’s role seemed to be the same as Posey's, falling off into coverage for half the plays, rushing on the others.

Linebacker play on the line

For the vast majority of plays, a linebacker lined up just off the line, or right up on the D-Line. Typically, the LB would have the opposite call of the Posey/Denney player, and fall off at the snap / crash on runs or blitz on pass plays, picking the holes opened up by the big guys starting the push.

On a half-dozen plays, there were only three total DE/DTs on the line, each time with a linebacker or two joining them. I saw Kelsay-Adams-Spikes-Schobel on an aggressive four man rush (how would you like to try to block them?). Later, Posey-Bannan-Anderson-Gause-Stamer lined up. Posey fell off into coverage and Crowell joined in a five man rush, resulting in a sack.

The oddest configuration I saw was Posey-Fletcher-Edwards-Spikes-Schobel lined up (all of our starting LBs!?). Fletcher and Spikes dropped back quickly, Edwards took a few steps back into coverage, and 33-Greer blitzed around left end while 26-Baker came from the right. This four-man rush looked like it was creative, but disrupted our defense more than their offense. GB threw for a score on the play, then went to their goal-line plays.

The Backups / 3rd-String / Playing-for-their-lives-players

Late in the scrimmage, a dozen or so plays had the following players lined up:

99-LDE Uyi Osunde

93-LDT Lauvale Sape

67-RDT LaWaylon Brown

91-RDE Constantin Ritzmann

For these plays, 54-Wendell Hunter played the Posey role, hugging the D-Line on the strong side. 52-Daryl Towns seemed to be the only LB brought on a blitz, except one where 50-Liam Ezekial and Hunter also blitzed, and 99-Osunde fell off into coverage.

Of all the third string players, I was extremely impressed with only Uyi Osunde. He was fast, and strong, and really chased down every play. I marked three run plays and five passes where he looked strong, and saw no mistakes (I only counted obviously good or bad plays). I am definitely going to keep my eye on him as my official “diamond in the rough.”

Take Aways

The biggest thing I saw was that we might be okay if we had to play without Sam Adams. I wish Farve stayed in longer so I could see if a veteran QB could adjust to our blitzes. If so, then I’m concerned about the pressure we can generate with a four man rush, and suspect we’d try to hide which four to give us an edge.

This defense is built for speed, and I don’t think we could pull off these plays with players slow to get to their assignment at the snap. On nearly half our defensive plays, lighter players filled heaver-position roles, DEs playing DT; LBs playing DE or DT(!).

Stamer vs. Posey (vs. Denney)

While I’d say he has a slightly better pass rush, I do not think Josh Stamer is nearly quick enough (changing directions) to pull off the new role Posey is playing. He seems to have a more solid body, but is listed as slightly lighter than Posey, who is a couple inches taller and has a bigger “wingspan.” Note: Denney is also quick and is tall with long arms. I think this is why he played this role with the second team.

Excellent work and i really appreciate the fact you took the time to do this and also based on the substance I think your observations are right on target.

Your observations are consistent with how the Bills D performed last year and actually directly in opposition to the conventional wisdom often posted on TSW that Posey plays badly and that Stamer looks to be a good replacement for this bad player.

In addition, the conventional wisdom is that Ryan Denney us a dog as a player and that the debate is whether he is cut after the season or even after this pre-season.

I think both these pieces of conventional wisdom are flat out WRONG!

Posey- Some posters complain about him (even thoughtful folks like Simon) and site their observations that he was turned the wrong way or they didn't like his angle of attack. Maybe true, but i have asked these folks to also provide a reference to where their observations led to Posey's man scoring against us or even racking up big or significant yards.

The sound of crickets chirping when I ask for what should be memorable or relatively easily cited cases are just not there. Like him or not, Posey has been a consistent starter and played a lot of downs for a D which has been one the best in the league statistically for a couple of years and is seen as a strength of this team.

If Posey was as bad as people imply or say then why hasn't the D failed often when he is in or opposing OCs simply picked on this weak link.

I have not looked into this with the thoroughness you have but it appears that in addition to the broad statistical case I make (which has not been effectively challenged by the Posey naysayers) specifically what Posey does well and is a key part of why our D works and he is a starter is because he does a tremendous job at making the correct read on whether the opponent is running or passing and he gets to the correct position allowing Sikes/Fletcher to clean up the trash and make the tackle or do the blitz.

I do like Stamer and was quite impressed with his INT last year where he both bliocked the pass and has the athleticism to make the INT. However, it makes perfect sense that he is no threat to take Posey's position because Posey is better at making reads (a factor which never turns up on a stat sheet) and is a bit better athletically in terms of height and speed than Stamer.

Likewise regarding Denney. He is roundly trashed on YSW, but i have tried to rise to his defense noting that we had only 3 DEs last year and that they actually worked in rotation. Denney also struck me as actually lining up a significant enough number of times that I noticed it lining up at DT with all three DEs on the field.

Thus line-up explains in part why Phat Pat was on the field for less than 2/3 of the D snaps (this along with hin usually be pulled on 3rd down.

The line-up you describe is a big part of the reasin I am not concerned much in us losing PW (a good player but an imimently replaceable one and not worth a big contract from us). Not only are there good signs that Edwards will step up and additionally there is the unconfirmed to date hope that Anderson will step up, but Gray is employing a scheme where we may not miss PW at all even if neither of the two candidates steps up tp replace him.

Your analysis provides tangible and specific support for the notion which I think is at the base of folks expecting Denney and/or Posey to ship out, Both players did not do well (and actually sucked) initially. Posey was hailed as a sackmaster based on the 8 he registered his final year with the Texans, but he not only struggled as he made the switch from the 3-4 of the Texans to the GW 4-3. Further once LeBeau brought in the run blitz the strongside linebacker had other responsibilities that the blitz as his priorities and Posey never scored the sack totals of Fletcher and Spikes (who also are simply better players than Posey but being worse than this Pro Bowler and leading Bills tackler does not mean you are bad.

Folks also were deeply disappointed by Denney's start where he had such leverage problems and could be defeated and tossed aside by the youngest vet that he simply could not be played his rookie season.

However, your observations provide tangible evidence that poster's old impressions are just old and not longer represent how they are used or they perform.

You only get one chance to make a first impression and these two players will likely always be judged to bad players when actually they both are good players for the Bills.