Tory Woodbury

Watching that scrimmage on Friday, I noticed Woodbury. I have to say I was impressed. I know its only a pratice game and he was inserted late but he did some things that caught my eye. That fake handoff with the bootleg run into the endzone was great and also that throw he made against the grain to hit the receiver for a TD catch was another outstanding play.

What's everyones opinion on him? Can he make the cut? I'm liking all of the Bills QB's right now. Just wondered if Tory Woodbury would be someone you'd want to keep?

Watching that scrimmage on Friday, I noticed Woodbury. I have to say I was impressed. I know its only a pratice game and he was inserted late but he did some things that caught my eye. That fake handoff with the bootleg run into the endzone was great and also that throw he made against the grain to hit the receiver for a TD catch was another outstanding play.

What's everyones opinion on him? Can he make the cut? I'm liking all of the Bills QB's right now. Just wondered if Tory Woodbury would be someone you'd want to keep?

401366[/snapback]

He looks good based on the tiny bit I saw him play. I bet they try to keep him around as an ST player and unofficial #4 QB. But if the roster gets tight, it would not shock me if Shane Matthews gets cut. The guy has one foot on the golf course already.

PTR

Is there a job upstairs for Matthews? It seems a little rude to have talked him out of retirement only to see him cut in training camp, although that's the business. Maybe if we could hang on to him as a kind of junior member of the coaching staff, it would glaze over any hard feelings.

Not that the top priority should be the morale of a QB you've cut, but it'd help the next time we're trying to talk somebody into one more year.

I was thinking the same thing. Keep Woodbury, cut Matthews. This kid could have solid potential.

401379[/snapback]

Didn't get to see the scrimmage yet, but I would be surprised to see the Bills cut Matthews, unless he just really seems like he does not want to play anymore. The coaching staff, and JP Losman have mentioned numerous times that Matthews has been a big help to Losman. I know we have Holcomb for 4 years, but he might not be as helpful, should JP struggle. Unless things go terribly wrong, Losman and/or Holcomb take all the stops this year, and the third QB position is not a huge consideration. If Woodbury is any good, he can always go on the practice squad.

I must have caught him on a bad day at Fisher last week. When I saw him in 7 on 7 drills, he fumbled a snap and most of his passes were way off.

I guess that's why the staff doesn't judge players from one drill. :blink:

I hope he does well.

Didn't get to see the scrimmage yet, but I would be surprised to see the Bills cut Matthews, unless he just really seems like he does not want to play anymore. The coaching staff, and JP Losman have mentioned numerous times that Matthews has been a big help to Losman. I know we have Holcomb for 4 years, but he might not be as helpful, should JP struggle. Unless things go terribly wrong, Losman and/or Holcomb take all the stops this year, and the third QB position is not a huge consideration. If Woodbury is any good, he can always go on the practice squad.

He looked very good in the scrimmage. In fact, I will go so far as to say that if looking ONLY at the scrimmage, and I had to choose a starting QB, it would be woodbury. Obviously he wont start (nor should he), but he was our best QB on the field on saturday. We need to keep this guy. If we can get him on the PS, im all for it, or if need be get rid of matthews or place him as a 5th WR or something...but we need to keep him around. He looked like he can be something special someday.

He looked very good in the scrimmage.  In fact, I will go so far as to say that if looking ONLY at the scrimmage, and I had to choose a starting QB, it would be woodbury.  Obviously he wont start (nor should he), but he was our best QB on the field on saturday. We need to keep this guy.  If we can get him on the PS, im all for it, or if need be get rid of matthews or place him as a 5th WR or something...but we need to keep him around.  He looked like he can be something special someday.

401405[/snapback]

woodbury for starter? if the high you're experiencing is over, then i'll continue. I'd like to see woodbury battle matthews for the #3 slot during the pre season. I'll agree that he had a great scrimmage on friday. Look forward to seeing more of him play and compete with matthews for the #3 qb spot against indy and the rest of the pre season opponents.

He looked very good in the scrimmage.  In fact, I will go so far as to say that if looking ONLY at the scrimmage, and I had to choose a starting QB, it would be woodbury.  Obviously he wont start (nor should he), but he was our best QB on the field on saturday. We need to keep this guy.  If we can get him on the PS, im all for it, or if need be get rid of matthews or place him as a 5th WR or something...but we need to keep him around.  He looked like he can be something special someday.

He was playing against future fast food workers of America, JB. He has promise, at the very worst as a gimmick-type QB and WR/ST'er, but I wouldn't even consider hi #2 material at this point.

He was playing against future fast food workers of America, JB.  He has promise, at the very worst as a gimmick-type QB and WR/ST'er, but I wouldn't even consider hi #2 material at this point.

401450[/snapback]

I think MM/TC/Wyche are more interested in him playing a slash role similar to how they originally envisioned Kordell Stewart rather than the #3 role. Apparently he is beimg worked at camp even as a kick return guy.

Using him in a role which flirts with disaster is not the way one would try to use or prepare your disaster QB.

My sense is that any MM fantasies regarding Woodbury center around using him in a slash role to make the offense tricky rather slotting him in an inactive role for each game.

Yes, they are using Woodbury in camp on ST - specifically KO returns. I have not seen too much of him, but he can catch the ball.

He looks OK at QB on drills, and if he can fill a valid role on ST and be a "disaster" QB, I say find a way to keep him. Why would having a special teamer as a disaster QB be a bad idea? Usually that spot is filled by a WR or punter, anyway.

He has a better chance of making the team than a WR with a number in the teens. Oh, wait, Roscoe wears #11. :blink:

I think MM/TC/Wyche are more interested in him playing a slash role similar to how they originally envisioned Kordell Stewart rather than the #3 role.  Apparently he is beimg worked at camp even as a kick return guy.

Using him in a role which flirts with disaster is not the way one would try to use or prepare your disaster QB.

My sense is that any MM fantasies regarding Woodbury center around using him in a slash role to make the offense tricky rather slotting him in an inactive role for each game.

401454[/snapback]

woodbury for starter? if the high you're experiencing is over, then i'll continue.

Ugh. If you read my post you would have seen that I said if the ONLY thing i was basing the starter on was that scrimage it would be woodbury. Now obviously there are other things besides a scrimmage to pick a starting QB, but if I just got back from a 10 year tour of africa and saw that scrimmage (and only that scrimmage), and I had to pick a starting QB, it would be woodbury.

That said, JP obviously has the talent and performed well, and will (and should be) given every opportunity to lead this team.

Yes, they are using Woodbury in camp on ST - specifically KO returns. I have not seen too much of him, but he can catch the ball.

He looks OK at QB on drills, and if he can fill a valid role on ST and be a "disaster" QB, I say find a way to keep him. Why would having a special teamer as a disaster QB be a bad idea? Usually that spot is filled by a WR or punter, anyway.

Remember the season the Bills kept only 2 QB's?

Remember the season the Bills kept only 2 QB's?

401687[/snapback]

Yes, but not the specifics - help an old guy here. :lol: DF and RJ?

I would say someone like Woodbury could be #3 with a role on ST, but never #2. Right now both Holcomb and Matthews look much better for the #2 position. As others have said if we get to#3 on the depth chart at QB we are likely screwed anyway. Woodbury is a 3rd year player who could be developed.

This is all just speculation by idiot fans like myself who cannot wait for the season to start! :doh:

Nope.  Remember AVP during those times? 

I believe it was Drew and AVP one year.  I think Travis Brown was hurt and they didn't bother to replace him.  Don't remember which year (maybe 2002)..

401760[/snapback]

My recollection is that in the 2003 season the Bills went with only 2 QBs on the roster with DB and AVP (maybe it was 2002 but this seems like a dicey move onlu a year removed from the Bledsoe collapsed lung). This move allowed them to have an extra roster position and they took it when the young QB we had on the roster (I don't remember what his name was I think it was Stambaugh or something like that but that may not have been it) in camp proved to be a complete failure.

I think this move was actually a tribute to Bledsoe's toughness. He immobile and took way too many sacks, but this big boy ke0pt getting up after getting beaten up.

We had 3 QB on the roster last year, but after the injruy to JP and Brown this only was because we jerked Matthews off his couch at home. In essence fo the roughly half a season that JP coul not have played if he wanted to, we were going with two QBs and Eric Moulds was in essence the disaster QB.