Did the scrimmage rules disallow QB's running ?

It looked like JP wanted to run in for the TD, then remembered that he can't run so he forced a throw. The Jets fans board alerted me to this possibility. It's scary to think that the Jets fans are cutting JP more slack than we are.

We have a bunch of rabid fans that want Holcomb to start already because of that play. We all need to calm down and let the pre-season progress before getting all worked up !

qb's were allowed to run - in fact JP did run once

BUt , and I see this as a very good sign , JP is obviously thinking PASS first and RUN second. For a young QB (with good speed), this is not easy to get inside the noggin. The fact that he chose to skip the easy 7 and was still looking downfield is something to congratulate and encourage.

BTW: When the games count, he'll run...a lot.

-RnJ

I don't know why there is such a big deal about him not running the ball on that endzone play. He has the coach in his ear constanly,watching the game,you could tell,you just never know whether he was told before the play,even if the lane is there,stay and look for the open man and throw the ball..And the other thing that bothers me with people jumping on this play is that JP was what..7 or 8 yards out right..There were what looked like 2 or 3 guys on Reed but rewatching the game yesterday,just as JP threw the ball,it appeared as if there was another Packers player at the very front of the endzone(maybe someone who taped or DVR'ed it can verrify that),so more then likely,had he made the run,he would have met contact with one player and I'm sure the 2 or 3 guys on Reed would have at least met JP at the goal line as well..

Just wasn't worth the risk for a scrimmage touchdown in my opinion..

I don't know why there is such a big deal about him not running the ball on that endzone play. He has the coach in his ear constanly,watching the game,you could tell,you just never know whether he was told before the play,even if the lane is there,stay and look for the open man and throw the ball..And the other thing that bothers me with people jumping on this play is that JP was what..7 or 8 yards out right..There were what looked like 2 or 3 guys on Reed but rewatching the game yesterday,just as JP threw the ball,it appeared as if there was another Packers player at the very front of the endzone(maybe someone who taped or DVR'ed it can verrify that),so more then likely,had he made the run,he would have met contact with one player and I'm sure the 2 or 3 guys on Reed would have at least met JP at the goal line as well..

Just wasn't worth the risk for a scrimmage touchdown in my opinion..

401224[/snapback]

I dont think he would have scored either. There was a guy at the goal line for sure, and given the 2 hand touch, dont hit the QB type of scrimmage, they would have blown the whistle as soon as that guy got ANYWHERE near JPL....

they would have blown the whistle as soon as that guy got ANYWHERE near JPL....

401280[/snapback]

And that's why he passed the ball even though his instincts were telling him to run. In a game situation he would have never thrown that ball. I really don't get why people are making such a big deal about this.

And that's why he passed the ball even though his instincts were telling him to run.  In a game situation he would have never thrown that ball.  I really don't get why people are making such a big deal about this.

401302[/snapback]

EXACTLY!!!! People forget this was a S-C-R-I-M-M-A-G-E!!! There was no point in running for the TD. The refs would blow the whistle if he anywhere near a defender. So why not throw?

And by the way...JP DID NOT overthrow his receiver. Quite the opposite. He put it upstairs, which is where you are supposed to throw when there are defenders in front of the receiver! Don't listen to Sterling Sharpe moronic commentary.

PTR