Corey Simon talk

Since I don't want to post the same thing on every single Simon thread that pops up...let me start this one thread.

Let me also preface the following post with the fact that both Tom Donahoe and Joe Banner have BOTH said there is no substance to any rumors flying around...that they haven't even spoken to each other regarding any players for any trades.

Now...onto my thoughts on the 20 threas on here about Simon (which is a copy and paste from another thread from a few days ago)...

Some of you are really overvaluing Simon, he is NOT...I repeat NOT....a great player...but here are my thoughts on him and his situation here in Philly.

He's asking too much money and having to deal with him come in fat and out of shape this season again, will hurt the team more than help it. While Trotter might have been a big reason the defense of the Eagles stepped up big time mid-season last year, the other reason was Simon's glaring lack of production until November (because he was so out of shape). Once he finally reached football shape (or as close to it as he could), the D started playing so much better..again, coinciding with the insertion of Trotter at starting MLB. But I'd rather not see that drop in production again to start the year with Simon, especially with the depth the Eagles have at DT.

Just the fact that he held out and showed up fat and out of shape in a CONTRACT year proves to me (and obviously the FO) that he's not worth the money he's asking for. And to hold out again this year? Ridiculous. He's showing himself to be more a problem than he's worth...especially since he's priced himself way out of his league.

PS...if you want to talk good football with good Eagles fans, check out our board through the Fan2Fan Alliance that this site is through...that's how I found this board :D

Since I don't want to post the same thing on every single Simon thread that pops up...let me start this one thread.

Let me also preface the following post with the fact that both Tom Donahoe and Joe Banner have BOTH said there is no substance to any rumors flying around...that they haven't even spoken to each other regarding any players for any trades.

Now...onto my thoughts on the 20 threas on here about Simon (which is a copy and paste from another thread from a few days ago)...

Some of you are really overvaluing Simon, he is NOT...I repeat NOT....a great player...but here are my thoughts on him and his situation here in Philly.

He's asking too much money and having to deal with him come in fat and out of shape this season again, will hurt the team more than help it. While Trotter might have been a big reason the defense of the Eagles stepped up big time mid-season last year, the other reason was Simon's glaring lack of production until November (because he was so out of shape). Once he finally reached football shape (or as close to it as he could), the D started playing so much better..again, coinciding with the insertion of Trotter at starting MLB. But I'd rather not see that drop in production again to start the year with Simon, especially with the depth the Eagles have at DT.

Just the fact that he held out and showed up fat and out of shape in a CONTRACT year proves to me (and obviously the FO) that he's not worth the money he's asking for. And to hold out again this year? Ridiculous. He's showing himself to be more a problem than he's worth...especially since he's priced himself way out of his league.

PS...if you want to talk good football with good Eagles fans, check out our board through the Fan2Fan Alliance that this site is through...that's how I found this board :D

401144[/snapback]

Acquiring Simon makes very little sense for the Bills. The Bills have 2 inexpensive young DT's who they think a lot of, Simon is injury prone and wants to get paid like a superstar. I would say I don't know why the Eagles even franchised him, but Philly is cap-shrewd and always has plenty of room so they can take a chance and hope somebody gets desperate and coughs up a pick for him.

401144[/snapback]

when has any DT worth his salt not showed up fat or out of weight??? truth be told, the other kind -- the ones who show up fit at 285-295 -- are the ones i don't want playing for the bills. it's the old jeff wright v. ted washington thing. if fat teddy w had been playing for the bills in the glory years, i'd bet my bottom dollar that the the bills would have won one SB.

Acquiring Simon makes very little sense for the Bills.  The Bills have 2 inexpensive young DT's who they think a lot of, Simon is injury prone and wants to get paid like a superstar.  I would say I don't know why the Eagles even franchised him, but Philly is cap-shrewd and always has plenty of room so they can take a chance and hope somebody gets desperate and coughs up a pick for him.

401153[/snapback]

i have no major beef with your basic argument re talent/match, but the eagles remain waaaaaay under the cap, as they always are ...

Acquiring Simon makes very little sense for the Bills.  The Bills have 2 inexpensive young DT's who they think a lot of, Simon is injury prone and wants to get paid like a superstar.  I would say I don't know why the Eagles even franchised him, but Philly is cap-shrewd and always has plenty of room so they can take a chance and hope somebody gets desperate and coughs up a pick for him.

401153[/snapback]

Firstly, if the Bills do acquire Simon, or are showing any interest in him at all (which I am not saying they are) it would indicate that they do not think as much of Edwards and Anderson as they might be saying publicly. It wouldn't be the first time that management/coaching staff didn't reveal its' true feelings about the talent they have on hand.

Secondly, I may be wrong, but I read somewhere in the last two days, since this whole rumour started, that Simon had only missed two games in his career. Hardly an indication of someone who is injury prone, I would think....

Lastly, if Philly is as shrewd with the salary cap as we assume they are, why would they gamble on franchising a player that most on this board seem to think is overrated and sucks? With the Eagles perennial needs at WR and RB, it seems a foolish waste of salary cap space, even if only for a year, to franchise who is so "clearly" overrated. Few teams would seem to have he cap space to play with, especially in August, to trade for a DT making franchise player money. I know everyone will cite TD's brilliant manuver to trade Peerless Price, but remember, it was widely speculated before they made that move, that the Falcons had targeted Price as an offseason priority.

when has any DT worth his salt not showed up fat or out of weight??? truth be told, the other kind -- the ones who show up fit at 285-295 -- are the ones i don't want playing for the bills. it's the old jeff wright v. ted washington thing. if fat teddy w had been playing for the bills in the glory years, i'd bet my bottom dollar that the the bills would have won one SB.

401161[/snapback]

I agree. We always gave up the run and couldn't really stop anybody. Hence no title !

I don't think the move makes sense for the Bills. The only reason I could see them doing it is if Sam Adams contract is up after this season (I'm not sure it is.) I can see them trading for Simon to replace Adams. However, other than the age factor it would probably be cheaper to resign Adams than give Simon the big contract he wants. If the Bills were that concerned with replacing Pat and didn't think Edwards/Anderson could get the job done they would've signed someone in the offseason. On top of all that I'm sure the Bills are aware of his conditioning as PhillyGirl pointed out.

New England Patriots, Philladelphia Eagles, New York Jets, Indanpolis Colts, Atlanta Falons, Carolina Panthers, tampa bay bucaneers

What's the one defining charteristic of all these teams?

Good Dlines! You can not. I repeat you can not field a mediocre defensive line and expect to win consistently in the nfl, and I believe the Pats, Eagles and to an extent the Jets represent this very well. The pats value dlines so much they consistently seem to draft defensive linemen in the 1st rd and bring in veterans to boost depth such as Ted Washington in 2003(even after they drafted ty warren in the 1st rd.) and Keith Traylor in 2004 (even after they drafted Vince Wilfork in the 1st rd) Getting Simon would make perfect sense from a team that is built with defense as it's strength. Infact it makes nothing but sense to improve the strongest aspect of your team and make it stronger. The only way I'd be against this move is it effects re-signing Nate Clements. I could live without Simon but it sure as hell would be nice to add a proven good player to the squad.

when has any DT worth his salt not showed up fat or out of weight???

401161[/snapback]

When its an Eagles Dlineman. Jim Johnson doesn't need/use slow, fat slobs in his defense like a Norman Hand or Ted Washington or Sam Adams. He doesn't need THIN guys, but he doesn't want his player so out of FOOTBALL shape that they can't pull it together and play one FULL season up to their ability. When being that far out of shape hinders you from playing the brand of football that got you drafted in the first friggin round, you're not worth the big money because you just don't care enough.

I think somewhere in you reading my initial post, you read wrong.

Lastly, if Philly is as shrewd with the salary cap as we assume they are, why would they gamble on franchising a player that most on this board seem to think is overrated and sucks?  With the Eagles perennial needs at WR and RB, it seems a foolish waste of salary cap space, even if only for a year, to franchise who is so "clearly" overrated. Few teams would seem to have he cap space to play with, especially in August, to trade for a DT making franchise player money.  I know everyone will cite TD's brilliant manuver to trade Peerless Price, but remember, it was widely speculated before they made that move, that the Falcons had targeted Price as an offseason priority.

401193[/snapback]

With the Eagles perennial need at WR and RB? When have they EVER (other than TO) shown either of those positions a great deal of money? Never, except for TO...and the money they are offering Westbrook right now (which he's being a moron for not accepting). Its not because of the cap space.

They are extremely upset by the way Simon came into camp last year...and Simon had said (when he was franchised) that he wasn't upset about it and he'd be in camp, etc. And then he doesn't show. :blink: Typical.

I don't think the Bills will trade for Simon, but to me, it does make sense, and I wouldnt doubt if this was the strategy out of OBD.

In 2005 we have a very solid if not better rotation than we did last year. Simon may be better playing next to a guy like Adams. Edwards still plays 66% of the snaps as we use waves.

2006, Edwards is an UFA. If he plays great for us he is going to demand a lot of money, although that is unlikely. If he plays solid for us perhaps we resign him, perhaps we let him go either way. We then have Anderson to play the 2/3 of the downs as well as our top guy Sam Adams getting up in years and in the last year of his contract.

2007, Sam Adams is gone, or perhaps re-signed cheap. Simon is 30 and our top guy with two-three years left on his contract. Edwards or Anderson are now seasoned vets (whichever we keep) and we look to FA or the draft for our third,

I don't think the Bills will trade for Simon, but to me, it does make sense, and I wouldnt doubt if this was the strategy out of OBD.

In 2005 we have a very solid if not better rotation than we did last year. Simon may be better playing next to a guy like Adams. Edwards still plays 66% of the snaps as we use waves.

2006, Edwards is an UFA. If he plays great for us he is going to demand a lot of money, although that is unlikely. If he plays solid for us perhaps we resign him, perhaps we let him go either way. We then have Anderson to play the 2/3 of the downs as well as our top guy Sam Adams getting up in years and in the last year of his contract.

2007, Sam Adams is gone, or perhaps re-signed cheap. Simon is 30 and our top guy with two-three years left on his contract. Edwards or Anderson are now seasoned vets (whichever we keep) and we look to FA or the draft for our third,

401263[/snapback]

I agree 100%! I think it makes a lot of sense as well. All the pre-season prognoticators seem to think that the Bills have all-world talent on defense, and special teams. They all seem to think we are locked and loaded everywhere, except at QB! I happen to think that losing Pat Williams could have a much bigger negative impact on our defense than most are predicting. Other than O-line, I would say D-line is the Bills most uncertain position. I also happen to think that TD, MM, et all, are prepared to go ahead with an untested QB, but they expect the Bills to have one of the all-tme great defenses. For the right price, I hardly think adding Simon would be a mistake.

I also don't understand the "logic" that if we get Simon, we can kiss Clements goodbye. We should all realize by now, if TD wants a player, he finds a way to get him...

For the right price, I hardly think adding Simon would be a mistake. 

401410[/snapback]

That's the point...he wants WAY too much money! You're not hearing what I am saying.

Here are some points from our local newspaper regarding this whole thing:

* Joe Banner said yesterday that the Eagles have not been contacted by the Bills about Simon. (I already mentioned this in my original post)

* The Eagles have been contacted by two teams about Simon since training camp opened, according to a league source who did not identify the teams (although the article later identified them as the Bengals and the Ravens). The source said the Eagles and these teams agreed on compensation for Simon, but the trade was contingent on those teams being able to sign Simon to a contract...both teams deemed his salary demands too high. The source said a third team contacted the Eagles during the offseason, but backed off when told of Simon's contract demands. (these are things we've been hearing since the offseason when the Ravens showed interest then, but completely backed off upon hearing Simon's demands for a SB of around $15M.)

* The Eagles haven't spoken with Simon's agent (Roosevelt Barnes) in quite some time, because the sides are so far apart. Because multiple teams have now passed on Simon due to his contract demands, the article said it is even more likely that Simon will play for the Eagles this season for $5.13 million. But, the Eagles do not expect him to sign and report until end of August/beginning of September. Says Simon: "I know my body, and I know what I have to do to be ready to help this team win the Super Bowl."