It's early to be making this comparison

Jukester

It goes without saying that Jim Kelly was the best we ever had at the position. Is JP the second coming?

A lot of you got to view him in action yesterday. I saw some very positive signs. How do you think JP's stats at the end of his first full year will compare with Kelly's rookie year? (see below) Remember too that Jim had the luxury of 2 years in the USFL.

Year: 1986

Games: 16

Attempts: 480

Comp: 285

Yards: 3,593

Percent: 59.4%

Yards/Attempt: 7.49

TD: 22

INT: 17

Rating: 83.3

Team Record: 4-12

Coaches: Hank Bullough, Marv Levy

Sure hope so. I also saw a lot of positive signs yesterday, but it's so early...

At least we can all pretty much agree that he looks a lot better than that brain-dead dud Drew. :D

400724[/snapback]

That's a fact! Maybe we are all giddy because we just saw a QB able to avoid the rush, check off his receivers, and not pat-pat-pat the ball. It's been a long time since I've seen a Bills QB look so in control on the field.

PTR

I think you guys are delusional about JPLs performance yesterday. He again failed to score a TD (he's never led a team on a TD drive I don't think....). His passes were all over the place. I just wasn't impressed.

I'll admit we're not even on the first preseason game yet so there's plenty of time for improvement... But comparing him to JK? I think RJ looked better in some games than JPL did yesterday.

When I got back from the scrimmage, my Packers-fan brother-in-law said, "If Losman doesn't improve, you guys are screwed." Nuff said.

CW

I think you guys are delusional about JPLs performance yesterday.  He again failed to score a TD (he's never led a team on a TD drive I don't think....).  His passes were all over the place.  I just wasn't impressed.

I'll admit we're not even on the first preseason game yet so there's plenty of time for improvement...  But comparing him to JK?  I think RJ looked better in some games than JPL did yesterday.

When I got back from the scrimmage, my Packers-fan brother-in-law said, "If Losman doesn't improve, you guys are screwed."  Nuff said.

CW

400736[/snapback]

You forgot the "sarcasm" icon...you are kidding, right? :D

PTR

You forgot the "sarcasm" icon...you are kidding, right?  :D

PTR

400739[/snapback]

Not at all. Maybe things looked different on TV (although my b-i-l was watching on TV), but at the stadium JPL didn't look very good... He was better than when he played the Patriots, but aside from that...

CW

I think you guys are delusional about JPLs performance yesterday. 

I'll admit we're not even on the first preseason game yet so there's plenty of time for improvement...  But comparing him to JK? 

CW

400736[/snapback]

The point of this post was to get a guage on the opinions of how JP would do this year. I just gave Kelly's rookie numbers as a benchmark. For example, although Kelly's yardage number is almost out of the question, I think JP could get fairly close to his completion percentage. I'd hope that he could beat Kelly's interception total of 17. I also think a passer rating of 83.3 is totally achievable. And of course, he should definitely get more that 4 wins because of the better team around him.

So if you think we're delusional, tell us why - e.g. JP's gonna throw 30 interceptions and have a passer rating of 50.