Random observations from the scrimmage

Anderson made a great slip off a block and wrap up on the runner on his first play. I wish I could say something good about Edwards run D in the series I've seen but instead he's been pushed off the ball with single teams on more plays than not.

Watching more later on-

400599[/snapback]

I watched focusing on the interior line, and was not overwhelmed.

The bright side is that run support is still solid. But both Edwards & Anderson were consistently held up by single teams and couldn't break off. Forget the fear of the interior pass rush from the Bills' line. All QB pressure came from the ends or the blitz.

At best, I see the inside to be the same as last year, unless they swing the Simon trade.

The bright side is that run support is still solid.  But both Edwards & Anderson were consistently held up by single teams and couldn't break off.  Forget the fear of the interior pass rush from the Bills' line.  All QB pressure came from the ends or the blitz.

At best, I see the inside to be the same as last year, unless they swing the Simon trade.

400650[/snapback]

Perhaps they're not supposed to "break off"? I seem to remember Sam Adams getting upset about not being allow to rush last season. I believe his words were "that's not what we're asked to do".

I think the goal of the Bills on offence is to be balanced. Balanced doesn't mean vanilla. How much they incorporate trick plays is going to depend on how quickly Losman settles down and gets comfortable. If he struggles with execution they may go to more runs and safer passes.

The bright side is that run support is still solid.  But both Edwards & Anderson were consistently held up by single teams and couldn't break off.  Forget the fear of the interior pass rush from the Bills' line.  All QB pressure came from the ends or the blitz.

400650[/snapback]

I wouldn't mind at all if it were as good as last year. I saw Edwards and Anderson getting stood up last night as well but if what was happening on those plays happens during the year, we'll be doing fine. The linebackers were shooting up and making stops for 1-3 yard gains for the most part. There weren't bursts up the middle through holes where the first hit was after a 4 yard run and it was a 6 yard rush. That is where we will get in trouble.

I wouldn't mind at all if it were as good as last year. I saw Edwards and Anderson getting stood up last night as well but if what was happening on those plays happens during the year, we'll be doing fine. The linebackers were shooting up and making stops for 1-3 yard gains for the most part. There weren't bursts up the middle through holes where the first hit was after a 4 yard run and it was a 6 yard rush. That is where we will get in trouble.

400761[/snapback]

Again, I have absolutely no problem with the interior line on running plays.

It's the passing downs that get me. Even if the guys aren't "supposed" to break off their blockers, you would like to see a bigger push up the middle to collapse the pocket. We haven't seen that in our interior since Phat Pat's first two years lined up next to Big Ted.

My concern about the line over the last 5 years has been consistent. They're stellar on the first two downs, but there's absolutely no pressure from the middle on 3rd downs. That makes it much easier for the OL to defend - just push Schobel, Kelsay or Denney wide to the outside, and the QB has a very comfortable pocket to survey the field. Gray has compensated by blitzing up the middle, but that has not been a consistently winning defensive scheme on 3rd downs.

Take a look at the dismantling of the Bills' D by NE in the last couple of games.

Actually I wasn't surprised. I think that MM was sending a message to the league that we aren't rebuilding, we aren't holding back because of Losman, we are going to take the game to our opponents on both sides of the ball, and you better be ready for us because you aren't going to know what hit you. And I like it. I think that running the reverse on the first play was all about that.

400486[/snapback]

Why would we want to send that message? Wouldn't we want teams to think we are in rebuilding mode with a rookie qb running a vanilla offense?

Every time JP made a play, I said to myself "Bledsoe could never do that."  This is going to be an interesting year. 

Did you think the Bills were surprisingly non-vanilla for a scrimmage?  Aggressive play calling, blitzing on almost every down, very entertaining display.

PTR

400480[/snapback]

I agree ! It was very exciting to watch. JP could also throw a screen pass which Drew could never do !

Some thoughts:

Willis was dancing too much he needs to hit the point of attack. If he is too fast to the hole maybe he needs to back up.

JP needs to show more leadership. He seems to put his head down when he makes a bad play. As a qb he needs to stay even kealed and possitive.

Our WR's and TE's looked good. No turnovers or drops.

Oline needs more push especially on goaline.

Defense looks tough except on Goal Line. Although Favre is always tough down there. Probally one of the best ever.

Some weakness in the way Posey drops into coverage.

Schobal looks small. He has some problems when tackle and Te chip block him. Thats what NE did against us last year.

Overall I think 10-6 looks like a lock this year. If no injuries creap up.

PMF

Why would we want to send that message?  Wouldn't we want teams to think we are in rebuilding mode with a rookie qb running a vanilla offense?

400915[/snapback]

Either message is going to be thrown out the window as far as reality goes as soon as the first half of the first game is on tape and teams see what we're actually doing in the real games. It certainly would do us no good to be completely vanilla in the pre-season and not let JP practice what he needs to be practicing, just so we can surprise the Texans in game one. The message sent is also a message to our own team. We are going to be on the attack. We practice it from day one, we do it all day every day, we do it in scrimmages and we do it in pre-season and we do it in the regular season. It's just a good mindset, IMO, for this team.

I was unsure about draftinf Parrish.  I was actually in NY at the draft.  It was at Javitts convention Center.  People were laughing about the pick.  I wasn't sure because I didn't know what to think.  He looked awesome for being a rookie. He's quick, fast, and shifty.  All the things you need when you are a small guy!

400497[/snapback]

I like Roscoe well enough but I still find it difficult to accept that it was more important at that point to get a better 3rd receiver than it was to get at least one guy who can play LT.

No one is really talking about it much but I thought Gandy did okay last night and that was just as important as how well JP did.

I like Roscoe well enough but I still find it difficult to accept that it was more important at that point to get a better 3rd receiver than it was to get at least one guy who can play LT. 

No one is really talking about it much but I thought Gandy did okay last night and that was just as important as how well JP did.

400949[/snapback]

When I watched the replay, I keyed on Gandy and he really did play well, especially solid pass blocking. One completion he took out two rushers. He wasn't dominating or pancaking people but he just did his job, against a good pass rusher in KGB. That was a huge plus out of this game and one thing that I bet Mularkey, Clements, McNally and TD are very relieved if not quite pleased over.

I doubt it. One thing that really stood out last year, especially the second half of the season, was that even with the limitations of Drew, we ran damn interesting plays. They were very well designed. They came from all different kinds of formations, and they were purposeful. This year, having a year under their belts plus Losman, plus a healthy Willis, plus an established Evans, plus adding Roscoe, I really think they are going to open it up. That doesn't mean go down field a lot or throw all the time, it means a lot of variety and versatility and run when they expect pass and pass when they expect run, and show them things they weren't prepared for.

400494[/snapback]

not having seen the game, thanks, dog!!

Again, I have absolutely no problem with the interior line on running plays. 

It's the passing downs that get me.  Even if the guys aren't "supposed" to break off their blockers, you would like to see a bigger push up the middle to collapse the pocket.  We haven't seen that in our interior since Phat Pat's first two years lined up next to Big Ted.

My concern about the line over the last 5 years has been consistent.  They're stellar on the first two downs, but there's absolutely no pressure from the middle on 3rd downs.  That makes it much easier for the OL to defend - just push Schobel, Kelsay or Denney wide to the outside, and the QB has a very comfortable pocket to survey the field.  Gray has compensated by blitzing up the middle, but that has not been a consistently winning defensive scheme on 3rd downs.

Take a look at the dismantling of the Bills' D by NE in the last couple of games.

400814[/snapback]

again, not having seen the game, you're dead on. good analysis, although you certainly don't need my props ...

I think the 1st team o-line stuggled in run blocking. Willis had nowhere to run; that was why he was dancing. They looked pretty good pass blocking but I was very disappointed in the run blocking. This is just the sub-par GB defence; imagine New England eating Willis up every play like that.

Roscoe looks like he is the real deal. I don't think his size is an issue with the amount of quickness he has. He also has excellent hands. He's a litte firecracker.

I think the 1st team o-line stuggled in run blocking. Willis had nowhere to run; that was why he was dancing. They looked pretty good pass blocking but I was very disappointed in the run blocking. This is just the sub-par GB defence; imagine New England eating Willis up every play like that.

Roscoe looks like he is the real deal. I don't think his size is an issue with the amount of quickness he has. He also has excellent hands. He's a litte firecracker.

401172[/snapback]

I thought the same thing as well. I expected bigger holes for Willis. It is still ultra early though. Cant wait to see some pre-season games to really see how things are progressing.