Random observations from the scrimmage

JP looked decent, probably a little better than I expected. One thing though, we are not going to be a power running team like three yards and a cloud of dust. The offense is going to be interesting, unpredictable, and tough to defense. JP can do a lot of things and have a good game even though it will only show as 175 yards passing in the stat book.

Roscoe sure looks like a player who will help immediately.

It's going to be very difficult to decide between Shaud Williams, RaShard Lee and Gates. They all looked good at times and bring some talent to the position. That was the first time I saw Gates and he was pretty quick for a nice sized back with good hands. He impressed me.

The Gandy meltdown never happened. He played well. Also, Jason Peters showed me a little too. Whenever I keyed on him he made his block.

McGee got torched quite a few times although on one of the TDs it may not have been his fault.

Stamer, as others have noted, was an animal and all over the field. All three of those back-up LBs can play in this league. Impossible to say if they could or will be solid starters until they do it, but they are good.

Edwards held up well against the run. I didnt notice Anderson too much.

I really can't wait to see this offense in the regular season. Roscoe adds a wrinkle. JP can throw a short quick pass over the middle that Drew never did well. The TEs are going to be able to make a lot of easy 5-7 yard gains with naked bootlegs. JP throws very quick while rolling to the left which even a lot of mobile QBs cannot do. I really think that TC and MM are going to create an offense that is going to lull defenses into forgetting about stopping the guy they need to stop, Willis, because we are going to be throwing a lot of junk at them. It's not so much the gimmickry and reverses (which will be abundant) as much as keeping them off balanced, utilizing JP's skills (he handles the ball pretty good, fakes well, play-acts well, rolls out quickly and nicely. I think we're going to be fun to watch.

JP looked decent, probably a little better than I expected. One thing though, we are not going to be a power running team like three yards and a cloud of dust. The offense is going to be interesting, unpredictable, and tough to defense. JP can do a lot of things and have a good game even though it will only show as 175 yards passing in the stat book.

Roscoe sure looks like a player who will help immediately.

It's going to be very difficult to decide between Shaud Williams, RaShard Lee and Gates. They all looked good at times and bring some talent to the position. That was the first time I saw Gates and he was pretty quick for a nice sized back with good hands. He impressed me.

The Gandy meltdown never happened. He played well. Also, Jason Peters showed me a little too. Whenever I keyed on him he made his block.

McGee got torched quite a few times although on one of the TDs it may not have been his fault.

Stamer, as others have noted, was an animal and all over the field. All three of those back-up LBs can play in this league. Impossible to say if they could or will be solid starters until they do it, but they are good.

Edwards held up well against the run. I didnt notice Anderson too much.

I really can't wait to see this offense in the regular season. Roscoe adds a wrinkle. JP can throw a short quick pass over the middle that Drew never did well. The TEs are going to be able to make a lot of easy 5-7 yard gains will naked bootlegs. JP throws very quick while rolling to the left which even a lot of mobile QBs cannot do. I really think that TC and MM are going to create an offense that is going to lull defenses into forgetting about stopping the guy they need to stop, Willis, because we are going to be throwing a lot of junk at them. It's not so much the gimmickry and reverses (which will be abundant) as much as keeping them off balanced, utilizing JP's skills (he handles the ball pretty good, fakes well, play-acts well, rolls out quickly and nicely. I think we're going to be fun to watch.

400475[/snapback]

Every time JP made a play, I said to myself "Bledsoe could never do that." This is going to be an interesting year.

Did you think the Bills were surprisingly non-vanilla for a scrimmage? Aggressive play calling, blitzing on almost every down, very entertaining display.

PTR

Every time JP made a play, I said to myself "Bledsoe could never do that."  This is going to be an interesting year. 

Did you think the Bills were surprisingly non-vanilla for a scrimmage?  Aggressive play calling, blitzing on almost every down, very entertaining display.

PTR

400480[/snapback]

Actually I wasn't surprised. I think that MM was sending a message to the league that we aren't rebuilding, we aren't holding back because of Losman, we are going to take the game to our opponents on both sides of the ball, and you better be ready for us because you aren't going to know what hit you. And I like it. I think that running the reverse on the first play was all about that.

I almost wonder if this is the O we will see in the regular season, or if they are giving JP alot of time when there is nothing on the line, and then in the season we will see it scaled back to more of a controlled running attack, but... then again if you let him loose and he does well, why pull it back in. I'm excited about Sept 11th. :D

Nice post.

JP's skills (he handles the ball pretty good, fakes well, play-acts well, rolls out quickly and nicely.

400475[/snapback]

I was also most impressed with his play-faking skills... fooled me and the cameramen a couple times. So nice to see this aspect of the QB game back in Buffalo! :D

I almost wonder if this is the O we will see in the regular season, or if they are giving JP alot of time when there is nothing on the line, and then in the season we will see it scaled back to more of a controlled running attack,  but... then again if you let him loose and he does well, why pull it back in.  I'm excited about Sept 11th.  :D

400488[/snapback]

I doubt it. One thing that really stood out last year, especially the second half of the season, was that even with the limitations of Drew, we ran damn interesting plays. They were very well designed. They came from all different kinds of formations, and they were purposeful. This year, having a year under their belts plus Losman, plus a healthy Willis, plus an established Evans, plus adding Roscoe, I really think they are going to open it up. That doesn't mean go down field a lot or throw all the time, it means a lot of variety and versatility and run when they expect pass and pass when they expect run, and show them things they weren't prepared for.

I was unsure about draftinf Parrish. I was actually in NY at the draft. It was at Javitts convention Center. People were laughing about the pick. I wasn't sure because I didn't know what to think. He looked awesome for being a rookie. He's quick, fast, and shifty. All the things you need when you are a small guy!

Oh man, you don't know how much I needed to hear this! Saying that, I stil believe that Willis and the line will be key to it all.

If we are to make the playoffs, we need to win all of our home games and not sh-- a brick like we did last year against Pitt. The D must show up against the very good teams.

I don't think teams will help us much this year because they will surprise no one.

I'm hoping for a .500 season which is quite attainable. Playoffs would rock tho!

It is nice to think that we could actually use the pass to set up the run, and vice-versa.  Balance on offense.  I just can't stop grinning tonight

:D

400517[/snapback]

It'll be nice to actually have more options this year...as opposed to the Defense knowing exactly where our QB was going to be on 3rd downs.

And what about that "trips-wing" formation the Bills ran a few times?

3 guys in a mini-wedge behind the OT (or TE) spot. Usually, a TE went in motion from that formation. I don't what kind of variations MM/TC could be brewing up with that setup.

I also liked what I saw of Lionel Gates! Good size, speed, and moves, apparently.

And Tory Woodbury had some very nice qualities as well!

Exciting stuff.

I really can't wait to see this offense in the regular season. Roscoe adds a wrinkle. JP can throw a short quick pass over the middle that Drew never did well. The TEs are going to be able to make a lot of easy 5-7 yard gains with naked bootlegs. JP throws very quick while rolling to the left which even a lot of mobile QBs cannot do. I really think that TC and MM are going to create an offense that is going to lull defenses into forgetting about stopping the guy they need to stop, Willis, because we are going to be throwing a lot of junk at them. It's not so much the gimmickry and reverses (which will be abundant) as much as keeping them off balanced, utilizing JP's skills (he handles the ball pretty good, fakes well, play-acts well, rolls out quickly and nicely. I think we're going to be fun to watch.

400475[/snapback]

I keep going back to the Hiring of MM as HC. We were all told about his creative offensive abilities. Innovative play calling and formations, using personnel effectively, etc. Then with Drew, he had to "dumb it down" and go with a Vanilla, dont lose the game, power run type approach. With JP this year, I think we will see the REAL Mularkey's ability to GAme plan. We saw some of it late last year, during our win streak, as you mentioned. I think he will expand on this during this season. I defintely dont think we will step back from the Offense we saw at the end of last year, just because JP is on the field. If anything, I think the success we had with that style of offense Combined with Drew's limitations and liabilities led to the release of Drew. I fully expect Rookie mistakes from JP. I dont think he will be Kelly-esque this year. But I do expect him to run a full powered, aggressive offense designed to fully utilize his abilities, as well as Mularkey's...

As far as RB's go, I think Lionel Gates will make this team. He has all the tools and abilities that teams look for in todays NFL. I think the odd man out is Rashard Lee. I just dont see him making the squad. If he Does, then it will be Joe Burns who is let go (Burns ST play gives him a decided edge, as well as his ability to play FB). Williams will be Number 2. then Gates.

And what about that "trips-wing" formation the Bills ran a few times?

3 guys in a mini-wedge behind the OT (or TE) spot.  Usually, a TE went in motion from that formation.  I don't what kind of variations MM/TC could be brewing up with that setup.

Yeah, I liked seeing that, although I was hoping to see Euhus stay on that side. And the botched shotgun snap (which I'm surprised no one mentioned) looked like Teague snapped it early, because I've NEVER seen a football that close to hitting a (motion) player on purpose.

My random thoughts on the scrimmage...

JP is going to be a good quarterback. Holcombe who has started for half a year (in Cleveland where there offensive line was comparable to a sieve) looks better than JP at this point but I thought JP looked pretty good and will only improve in time when he gets more comfortable out there. I like what I saw there.

JP was given about as much time as Drew had and I think that our OL will get stronger throughout the preseason. Dare I say it... they will gel.

Two words about our defense... controlled chaos. I know it's an oxymoron. If there has every been a dominate defense that is exciting to watch then Buffalo has it right now. They are going to give me a heart attack because just when you think they've been beat on a play BAM they prove your thoughts wrong. Outstanding!

Special teams still look pretty special. Considering this was nothing more than a scrimmage, I thought the team looked pretty good. Not too many mistakes and definetly a reduction of yellow flags than in years past. Can't wait till next week!

My random thoughts on the scrimmage... 

JP is going to be a good quarterback.  Holcombe who has started for half a year (in Cleveland where there offensive line was comparable to a sieve) looks better than JP at this point but I thought JP looked pretty good and will only improve in time when he gets more comfortable out there.  I like what I saw there.

JP was given about as much time as Drew had and I think that our OL will get stronger throughout the preseason.  Dare I say it... they will gel.

Two words about our defense...  controlled chaos.  I know it's an oxymoron.  If there has every been a dominate defense that is exciting to watch then Buffalo has it right now.  They are going to give me a heart attack because just when you think they've been beat on a play BAM they prove your thoughts wrong.  Outstanding!

Special teams still look pretty special.  Considering this was nothing more than a scrimmage, I thought the team looked pretty good.  Not too many mistakes and definetly a reduction of yellow flags than in years past.  Can't wait till next week!

400580[/snapback]

I really couldn't believe how ready our defense seemed to be tonight. Perhaps GB really needs some work...but it really seems like it will be a special year for the D.

I've just watched the first few series and I agree Gandy looks fine- he got a little hung up on a double stunt but made his way back for a shot at the man sliding. He showed good feet in run blocking (as Benny did on that side too) and he moved OK in pass blocking. Granted he doesn't have a smooth slide- but there was some good formation work done that limited his exposure to it when we did throw. McNally has a great grasp on setting his talent up.

Great to see Campbell making a chip and catch right out of the chute. He's more important to us than is generally supposed.

The 1 DT with 3DEs on passing downs was............interesting. It's hard to figure what we gain by forcing Sam into the extra down when he's pretty clearly on the wrong side of 400 pounds right now. While like Ted Washington he can actually play that ballooned up I fear like Ted it'll make him more susceptible to injury.

Anderson made a great slip off a block and wrap up on the runner on his first play. I wish I could say something good about Edwards run D in the series I've seen but instead he's been pushed off the ball with single teams on more plays than not.

Watching more later on-