Update from Packer Land

IndyMark

Hi all,

FWIW:

I have been in Green Bay since yesterday, took the kids to Bay Beach (slightly overrated) and the Zoo (absolutely the most beautiful zoo I have seen). Yet, their highlight was swimming in the hotel pool - gotta love that.

Ate at Brett Favre's steakhouse last night - great beer/cheese soup, pretty good steak (bone in ribeye) and decent "Favre Merlot" wine, yet the wings were horrible. It was a really nice place that dealt with kids pretty well. Nice ambiance, for lack of a better phrase.

Watched this mornings practice (well up until 10:30) the practice field is across from Lambeau and is literally right off the street. Was super close the the QB's for a while, then the RB's, for a bit, then G and C's.

First blush observations:

1. Mike Williams looks fit, very fit. And Bennie Anderson does not make him look small at all. They are about as mirror images as two guys can be. They are both huge and relatively "nimble"; evidence in their footwork drills and resulting comments from McNally.

2. McNally is an great communicator - he continually talks but is not "yappy" like so many big mouths. He always has something specific and useful to say.

3. The RB and QB drills were truly vanilla and did not offer anything that would allow cause for comment.

4. Our special teams coach April carries around a portable Mic / Speaker. It is slick and works real well.

5. Speaking of ST, our kickoff coverage (in the abreviated drills) seems strong. Great lane coverage and angles taken continually -

6. #2 (I do not have roster in front of me) is a pretty versatile player. Returned kicks, played Qb, and even caught some balls IIRC.

7. Lee Evans dropped a well thrown ball that would have resulted in a TD.

8. Josh Reed made two TD catches, one was expected and the other was actually a pretty good catch.

9. Kelly Holcomb was a great pick up - he has poise and confidence - what a smart move by TD.

10. JP moves nicely in the pocket and has a quick release. Nothing bad to report.

11. The offense had JP LEAD BLOCK on a reverse to #11 two plays in a row. I am ok with Jimbo having done this, but JP? They were the only two curious plays I saw all morning.

12. Green Bay is simply a fanatical place for football. Having been born and raised in WNY it is somewhat hard to believe there exists a bigger fan base than Buffalo...but I found it. You gotta give this community props. They shut off the main street for last night and all of today for this "scrimmage". Especially considering gates do not open until 4pm today.

Life is good! I will try to post pictures later.

11. The offense had JP LEAD BLOCK on a reverse to #11 two plays in a row.  I am ok with Jimbo having done this, but JP?  They were the only two curious plays I saw all morning.

399362[/snapback]

Kelly: 6-3, 217

Losman: 6-2, 217

Either one of them can take care of themselves out there. And 11 is Roscoe Parrish.

Life is good!  I will try to post pictures later.

Look forward to seeing them. Thanks for the report!

Hi all,

FWIW:

I have been in Green Bay since yesterday, took the kids to Bay Beach (slightly overrated) and the Zoo (absolutely the most beautiful zoo I have seen).  Yet, their highlight was swimming in the hotel pool - gotta love that.

Ate at Brett Favre's steakhouse last night - great beer/cheese soup, pretty good steak (bone in ribeye) and decent "Favre Merlot" wine, yet the wings were horrible.  It was a really nice place that dealt with kids pretty well.  Nice ambiance, for lack of a better phrase.

Watched this mornings practice (well up until 10:30) the practice field is across from Lambeau and is literally right off the street.  Was super close the the QB's for a while, then the RB's, for a bit, then G and C's.

1. Mike Williams looks fit, very fit.  And Bennie Anderson does not make him look small at all.  They are about as mirror images as two guys can be.  They are both huge and relatively "nimble"; evidence in their footwork drills and resulting comments from McNally.

2. McNally is an great communicator - he continually talks but is not "yappy" like so many big mouths.  He always has something specific and useful to say.

3.  The RB and QB drills were truly vanilla and did not offer anything that would allow cause for comment.

4. Our special teams coach April carries around a portable Mic / Speaker.  It is slick and works real well.

5. Speaking of ST, our kickoff coverage (in the abreviated drills) seems strong.  Great lane coverage and angles taken continually -

6. #2 (I do not have roster in front of me) is a pretty versatile player.  Returned kicks, played Qb, and even caught some balls IIRC. 

8. Josh Reed made two TD catches, one was expected and the other was actually a pretty good catch.

9. Kelly Holcomb was a great pick up - he has poise and confidence - what a smart move by TD.

10. JP moves nicely in the pocket and has a quick release.  Nothing bad to report.

11. The offense had JP LEAD BLOCK on a reverse to #11 two plays in a row.  I am ok with Jimbo having done this, but JP?  They were the only two curious plays I saw all morning.

12. Green Bay is simply a fanatical place for football.  Having been born and raised in WNY it is somewhat hard to believe there exists a bigger fan base than Buffalo...but I found it.  You gotta give this community props.  They shut off the main street for last night and all of today for this "scrimmage".  Especially considering gates do not open until 4pm today.

399362[/snapback]

Cool! thanks... looking forward to the photos.

2. McNally is an great communicator - he continually talks but is not "yappy" like so many big mouths.  He always has something specific and useful to say.

you mean like Carl "extra mayo please" Mauck ???

5. Speaking of ST, our kickoff coverage (in the abreviated drills) seems strong. Great lane coverage and angles taken continually

I watched a local news report where Spikes was saying the reason the Kick coverage is so solid is because the backup linebackers, Stamer, Haggan, and Croewell would be starting LB's for some other teams in the league. And they really really take their job responsability serious. Listening to Spikes talk about them gave me goose bumps.

you mean like Carl "extra mayo please" Mauck ???

399414[/snapback]

He always reminded me of that Chris Farley character from SNL. When they'd show him in his usual near-convulsive state during a game, our entire Backers club would yell "in a van down by the river!" at the TV. :doh:

Mauck was enthusiastic, I'll give him that much.

Thanks for the report.

It's amazing how the GB practice facility and Lambeau are on a residential street with cars and people going by only a few feet away. I drove by the practice field a few years back during training camp and all the players were right there running around right next door to these modest little ranch houses and stuff...I got a real charge out of it.

Nice report, Dave! Coming to One Bills Drive this year?

Hi all,

FWIW:

I have been in Green Bay since yesterday, took the kids to Bay Beach (slightly overrated) and the Zoo (absolutely the most beautiful zoo I have seen).  Yet, their highlight was swimming in the hotel pool - gotta love that.

Ate at Brett Favre's steakhouse last night - great beer/cheese soup, pretty good steak (bone in ribeye) and decent "Favre Merlot" wine, yet the wings were horrible.  It was a really nice place that dealt with kids pretty well.  Nice ambiance, for lack of a better phrase.

Watched this mornings practice (well up until 10:30) the practice field is across from Lambeau and is literally right off the street.  Was super close the the QB's for a while, then the RB's, for a bit, then G and C's.

1. Mike Williams looks fit, very fit.  And Bennie Anderson does not make him look small at all.  They are about as mirror images as two guys can be.  They are both huge and relatively "nimble"; evidence in their footwork drills and resulting comments from McNally.

3.  The RB and QB drills were truly vanilla and did not offer anything that would allow cause for comment.

4. Our special teams coach April carries around a portable Mic / Speaker.  It is slick and works real well.

5. Speaking of ST, our kickoff coverage (in the abreviated drills) seems strong.  Great lane coverage and angles taken continually -

6. #2 (I do not have roster in front of me) is a pretty versatile player.  Returned kicks, played Qb, and even caught some balls IIRC. 

10. JP moves nicely in the pocket and has a quick release.  Nothing bad to report.

12. Green Bay is simply a fanatical place for football.  Having been born and raised in WNY it is somewhat hard to believe there exists a bigger fan base than Buffalo...but I found it.  You gotta give this community props.  They shut off the main street for last night and all of today for this "scrimmage".  Especially considering gates do not open until 4pm today.

399362[/snapback]

Thanks for the update...

#2 is Tory Woodbury, listed as a QB on our roster, and i'm and have been all in favor of keeping him as a #3 developmental instead of shane...

399367[/snapback]

Realistically, taking a look at Losman, Holcomb, and Matthews, none of those dudes have proven to be durable. If Losman goes down, Holcomb saves the day. But Holcomb has proven to be brittle and could not hold up for a long stretch. So, if it comes down to your third guy, given that the two in front of him are suspect in the durability category, who would you rather have in as a QB at a critical point in the season... Matthews or Woodbury. I think Matthews is the top vote getter here.

Realistically, taking a look at Losman, Holcomb, and Matthews, none of those dudes have proven to be durable.  If Losman goes down, Holcomb saves the day.  But Holcomb has proven to be brittle and could not hold up for a long stretch.  So, if it comes down to your third guy, given that the two in front of him are suspect in the durability category, who would you rather have in as a QB at a critical point in the season... Matthews or Woodbury.  I think Matthews is the top vote getter here.

399498[/snapback]

I see your point, and its valid, but if you are relying on your #3 QB for any length of time, your season is !@#$ anyway, so why not develop a future guy with some potential instead of an old geezer just cashing paychecks for another season...

dont get me wrong, matthews would be a great mentor, but your #3 should be a developmental project...