J.P. Losman and Kenny Stapler

There is a commercial on television in which a fantasy football player compares "our" J. P. Losman with someone named Stapler.  Who was this guy and why the comparison?

398667[/snapback]

Kenny the snake Stabler. Raiders QB.

I think the comparison must have been an inside joke of some sort.

Stabler was left-handed.

There is a commercial on television in which a fantasy football player compares "our" J. P. Losman with someone named Stapler.  Who was this guy and why the comparison?

398667[/snapback]

Stapler was a very valuable player, mostly because he was red.

Actually Kenny Stabler was the Raiders' QB during Madden's SB years back in the '70s. He was a rough, tough, crafty, elusive player who was nicknamed the Snake.

The commercial is a goof. It's one FF owner jive-talkin' one of his competitors. He tells him things like Ben Roethlisberger is retiring to becoming a rabbi; that he would draft Santana Moss over Randy Moss, and that Losman, unproven QB, is the second coming of Kenny Stabler.

It's a funny commercial, if you take the shot at JP in stride. :)

Was it a red stapler?

398678[/snapback]

And I said, I don't care if they cut me either, because I told, I told Mularkey that if they move my locker one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Donahoe too, because they've moved my locker four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Kenny Stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

398667[/snapback]

An interesting comparison. Kenny Stabler was a SB winning qb with the Raiders under John Madden. His surrounding team had many stars - WR Biletnikoff and Cliff Branch, OL Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, Jim Otto, DB Willie Brown, LB Ted Hendricks etc.

Stabler is in my top 5 of all-time NFL qb's. He was notable for his coolness under pressure. He had the requisite nifty feet - not a scrambler per se but got away from a rush. An accurate arm with enough power, but most importantly, had a tremendous presence of what was going on. And he was an absolute master of the game clock - and when the conventional wisdom then (same as now) said to run the 2 - minute drill with passes along the sidelines, he would call a play down the middle where the defenders were not. He had a gifted bunch of pass-catching rb's (one was named Clarence Davis, who under a big run team IMO would have lead the league in rushing), and powerful plungers named Marv Hubbard and Mark Van Eeghan, and tight end Dave Casper

If JP can approach the game presence of Stabler, wow! The Stabler-led Raider teams were 57-19-1...

398667[/snapback]

Maybe Kenny also thought it was awesome to see a guy in tight little shorts? :)

It was an NFL Network commerical.

Remember the commericals on NFL Net last year with all the fans saying things like,

"RIcky WIlliams has one thing on his mind - winning football games." And the Pats fan with the thick Boston accent saying "Hey..whose the QB the Steelers drafted? Rothles-something? Good pick Cowarr...."

Well it is the same guy with the Boston accent (from last year) - and they are discussing Fantasy Football (commerical for NFL Network's FF League and Website)....the guys says something like....

"J.P. Losman (in his thick Boston accent) is the second coming of Kenny Stabler."

It is actually pretty funny.

Hope this explains it. Have to see the commerical to better understand it.

I havent seen it, but I assume they are talking about Kenny "The Snake" Stabler, famed wild-man QB for the Oakland Raiders. 

A true winner, but a little bit crazy.

398670[/snapback]

Most recently seen as the "Coach" of the American side on Battle of the Gridiron Stars"

An interesting comparison. Kenny Stabler was a SB winning qb with the Raiders under John Madden.  His surrounding team had many stars - WR Biletnikoff and Cliff Branch, OL Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, Jim Otto, DB Willie Brown, LB Ted Hendricks etc.

Stabler is in my top 5 of all-time NFL qb's. He was notable for his coolness under pressure. He had the requisite nifty feet - not a scrambler per se but got away from a rush. An accurate arm with enough power, but most importantly, had a tremendous presence of what was going on. And he was an absolute master of the game clock - and when the conventional wisdom then (same as now) said to run the 2 - minute drill with passes along the sidelines, he would call a play down the middle where the defenders were not. He had a gifted bunch of pass-catching rb's (one was named Clarence Davis, who under a big run team IMO would have lead the league in rushing), and powerful plungers named Marv Hubbard and Mark Van Eeghan, and tight end Dave Casper

If JP can approach the game presence of Stabler, wow! The Stabler-led Raider teams were 57-19-1...

398711[/snapback]

Right on. I recall one year Stabler had a completion percentage in the high 60s/low 70s. He was a damn good quarterback who completely knew the game inside out. And then they'd interview him and he'd sound like Mike Tyson. :)