Environmental damage seen from Shuttle

Now back to the thread topic, I may be missing something but the article I got when I clicked the link was about a cancelled fourth spacewalk. No environmental damage stuff anywhere.

398531[/snapback]

Me too. :blink:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Clinton's Fault! Not to mention that his administration was the most responsible to the environment of all modern day administrations.

398582[/snapback]

Of course, that's rather like saying BF is the smartest retard on the short bus. It's tough NOT to be the most environmentally responsible president when you're competing against the likes of Reagan, Bush I, or Howdy Doody.

Of course, that's rather like saying BF is the smartest retard on the short bus.  It's tough NOT to be the most environmentally responsible president when you're competing against the likes of Reagan, Bush I, or Howdy Doody.

398588[/snapback]

True.

I have to make a few points here.

It is a FACT that CO2 emmisions from anthropogenic sources have peaked in the last 50 years.

It is a FACT that scientists have shown that the atmosphere of the Earth in the past contained large amounts of CO2, and that the resulting climate at that time period was quite tropical.

However, there is to date no direct evidence that the rising average temperature of the Earth the last few decades is due to our input of greenhouse gases, or if the Earth is going through one of its periodic temperature flucuations. Anyone who claims otherwise is not being entirely truthfull.

We do know that increasing the CO2 content of the atmosphere will in time contribute to increased temps. So it makes sense that we would try to curtail our input by using more fuel efficient processes.

398531[/snapback]

here is something i learned in college, besides how to drink:

relativly new data colleceted from "frozen air pockets in glaciers" contain perfectly preserved air from a given time period when it was originally trapped there. these air samples were dated and show that CO2 levels naturally increase over time, and then result in a sudden "ice age", which drops CO2 levels, and then gradually rise again. this repeats its self over and over. some scientist think that the increased CO2 levels actually cause the ice age.

back in the 80s scientists thaught that these green house gasses would decrease the globle temperature. caused by teh gasses creating more clouds and inturn decrease the temperature. (thats why areas like miami have a higher overall temperature than areas like equador). but now, many of those same scientists think the exact oposite, that green house gasses increase the globle temperatures. so thats something else to think about.

increasing CO2 levels has been shown to be a natural process on earth. but after the industrial revolution, there has a "dramatic" increase in CO2 levels. basically increasing the levels faster than they naturally would. so you could say that global warming is a NATURAL process, slightly speed up by man. and will result in a ice age. so, for example, if its natural for the earth to gradually heat up 1 degree every 1000 years, with man's help we've cut that to 1 degree every 100 years. (but you can look up the exact number, remember im lazy.)

but dont freak about the ice age thing, its only a 10 degree drop in average world temperatures, and those close to the equator would hardly notice. though the polar ice caps may drop down as far as tennessee. :blink:

To the smug of you:

Do you think that humans are having NO negative affect on the environment? I'm skeptical of crazy environmentalists, but that doesn't mean that humans aren't doing a banner job screwing things up. See deforestation. See invasive species. See overhunting/fishing. See pollution.

To the smug of you:

Do you think that humans are having NO negative affect on the environment? I'm skeptical of crazy environmentalists, but that doesn't mean that humans aren't doing a banner job screwing things up. See deforestation. See invasive species. See overhunting/fishing. See pollution.

398665[/snapback]

The Republican Lemmings think it's a fairy tale. Bush has them right where he wants them.

The Republican Lemmings think it's a fairy tale. Bush has them right where he wants them.

398676[/snapback]

Don't be an arsehole. It's a quick way to a one way ticket out of here.

Now, then, do I believe pollution is a problem? yes. But unlike you, I don't want motherment getting involved. Let the free market fix the problem, much like it has every other problem presented to it.

here is something i learned in college, besides how to drink:

relativly new data colleceted from "frozen air pockets in glaciers" contain perfectly preserved air from a given time period when it was originally trapped there. these air samples were dated and show that CO2 levels naturally increase over time, and then result in a sudden "ice age", which drops CO2 levels, and then gradually rise again. this repeats its self over and over. some scientist think that the increased CO2 levels actually cause the ice age.

back in the 80s scientists thaught that these green house gasses would decrease the globle temperature. caused by teh gasses creating more clouds and inturn decrease the temperature. (thats why areas like miami have a higher overall temperature than areas like equador). but now, many of those same scientists think the exact oposite, that green house gasses increase the globle temperatures. so thats something else to think about.

increasing CO2 levels has been shown to be a natural process on earth. but after the industrial revolution, there has a "dramatic" increase in CO2 levels. basically increasing the levels faster than they naturally would. so you could say that global warming is a NATURAL process, slightly speed up by man. and will result in a ice age. so, for example, if its natural for the earth to gradually heat up 1 degree every 1000 years, with man's help we've cut that to 1 degree every 100 years. (but you can look up the exact number, remember im lazy.)

but dont freak about the ice age thing, its only a 10 degree drop in average world temperatures, and those close to the equator would hardly notice. though the polar ice caps may drop down as far as tennessee.  :)

398622[/snapback]

You make many good points here. However, I am not so sure about your second paragraph. Scientists have known for quite a long time that CO2 absorbs in the infrared. I think you may be refering to effect of greenhouse gases and global warming on the Conveyor and Thermohaline Circulation. I shall elaborate further at a later time....

Now, then, do I believe pollution is a problem? yes. But unlike you, I don't want motherment getting involved. Let the free market fix the problem, much like it has every other problem presented to it.

398682[/snapback]

Yup. The free-market has really fixed everything when left to its own devices, especially our beloved media. [/sarcasm]

Really...then how come you are still here?!? Says one arsehole to another :)

...Let the free market fix the problem, much like it has every other problem presented to it.

398682[/snapback]

That's total crap.

To the smug of you:

398665[/snapback]

See RIO's gas problems. That has to be good for some methane - greenhouse issues.

398682[/snapback]

What do you define as an "arshole"? Someone who critisizes the radical right??

And if I do, I will get kicked out? You sound just like Bush! :)

You don't want ANY government authority if it means sacrifice for the greater good do you? Not unless the RR says so.

The free market take responsibility??? The free market sacrifice profits for the benefit of our nation?? You are a freakin idiot pal.

The earth is warming. The point that is in dispute is whether man is causing it or not. I saw a graph that superimposed solar output over world temp, and they were almost identical. The sun has been putting out more energy in the last 50 or so years.

The US is one of the cleanest economies. Go to Mexico City, if you can see it . There were towns in Eastern Europe where everything was covered in coal soot. Bejing has pollution levels that rival the killer smog London had years ago. The left's beloved Koyoto treaty would fine us and do nothing to China, one of the worlds worst polluters. Mt. Pinatubo put more chlorine in the air than man ever has.

In the SF area where I have lived for 10 years, the air has gotten cleaner, especially in the last few.

Yup.  The free-market has really fixed everything when left to its own devices, especially our beloved media.  [/sarcasm]

398709[/snapback]

It would if more people were smart enough to switch the channel.

Abolish OSHA and watch how quickly things change for the better.

The earth is warming. The point that is in dispute is whether man is causing it or not.  I saw a graph that superimposed solar output over world temp, and they were almost identical. The sun has been putting out more energy in the last 50 or so years. 

The US is one of the cleanest economies. Go to Mexico City, if you can see it . There were towns in Eastern Europe where everything was covered in coal soot. Bejing has pollution levels that rival the killer smog London had years ago. The left's beloved Koyoto treaty would fine us and do nothing to China, one of the worlds worst polluters. Mt. Pinatubo put more chlorine in the air than man ever has.

In the SF area where I have lived for 10 years, the air has gotten cleaner, especially in the last few.

398753[/snapback]

Can anyone here find anything in this post that has the least bit of fact?

What a load of BS. Care to tell us your sources? OBTW, thanks for the hardy laugh.

What a load of BS. Care to tell us your sources? OBTW, thanks for the hardy laugh.

398760[/snapback]

How about you refute it with facts of your own? Try being part of the solution instead of another partisan blowhard. You're exactly what you pretend to despise.

It would if more people were smart enough to switch the channel.

Abolish OSHA and watch how quickly things change for the better.

398755[/snapback]

Ya, F the rights of labor and let F.E. have their way.

OSHA, JCAHO whatever, this is working for everyone's rights and health...

I agree AD that it has too many arms and legs, but really.. abolish it?

398760[/snapback]

Wacka's post seemed to hit on a quite a few things. Kyoto and China being one. Why don't you share with us what you think is total crap?

How about you refute it with facts of your own?  Try being part of the solution instead of another partisan blowhard.  You're exactly what you pretend to despise.

398762[/snapback]

OK, I agree, and accept your promting.. let's here his facts first.. he brought it to the table.., and then I will counter.