LJ Shelton struggling at LT for Browns

I got this from BB.com, from someone with ESPN Insider, regarding the Browns' training camp so far:

"Arizona castoff L.J. Shelton is a big body who looks slow and sluggish and never has lived up to his first-round draft status. A backup right tackle for the Cardinals, he is positively out of his league starting on the left side."

Great non-trade. :blink:

Edited by MadBuffaloDisease

I got this from BB.com, from someone with ESPN Insider, regarding the Browns' training camp so far:

398442[/snapback]

Remember how the Arizona brass was berating Donahoe for not taking the bait? Cardinals are one team I bet that Bills will not do business with in the foreseeable future.

Remember how the Arizona brass was berating Donahoe for not taking the bait?  Cardinals are one team I bet that Bills will not do business with in the foreseeable future.

398454[/snapback]

I don't think that's the case at all. I think TD and co. have a value in their mind and if you don't meet it they move on.

398442[/snapback]

I still cannot find where this came from. Just read all the insider columns, and this is not mentioned anywher, at least not on ESPN that I can find. But again, sometimes neigh on impossible to find things on that site

Ah...this article looks like a pre-season analysis by Scouts, Inc. rather than a review of actual training camp action:

"As another NFL season approaches, Scouts Inc. breaks down every roster and offers position-by-position breakdowns. "

Seems like the writers' opinion more than in-person evaluation.

Ah...this article looks like a pre-season analysis by Scouts, Inc. rather than a review of actual training camp action:

"As another NFL season approaches, Scouts Inc. breaks down every roster and offers position-by-position breakdowns. "

Seems like the writers' opinion more than in-person evaluation.

398490[/snapback]

Yep, by the same jokers who had the Bills finishing at 7-9 last year, no mention of Rashard Lee as being a threat for Willis backup and Keven Everitt being counted on to be a major threat this year

According to this camp report Shelton is detroying everyone.

http://thebrownsboard.com/groupee/forums/a...24/m/7841057822

LJ Shelton: Shelton did nothing but swallow up his blocks during the drills, and played it off like it was nothing. While everyone was sweating like pigs, he took his helmet off and just played it all off. It looked like defenders almost forgot how big Shelton was, because after the initial hit they would try to continue to drive him backwards. That’s where LJ has you right where he wants you. He literally just swallows up the defender. This even happened to Thompson a few times. Its almost as if Thompson is thinking, “Oh here is our left tackle pulling – Im going to knock him on his ass. Oh wait a second. This isn’t Verba. Ooops!”. Shelton is the physical presence at left tackle that this team desperately needed. As far as brute force goes – him and Verba are night and day.

Even Crennel seems to think they aren't giving Shelton enough work in camp. He seems to be having an easy time with their Dlinemen.

Crennel unwittingly admitted one of the team's needs when he discussed the work of new left tackle L.J. Shelton.

``I think that we're going to have to provide him more competition in the pass-rush area,'' Crennel said. ``We haven't seen some of the world-class rushers that we'll see on Sunday yet. I think we'll have to wait until the preseason to get a final assessment... ''

I don't think that's the case at all.  I think TD and co. have a value in their mind and if you don't meet it they move on.

398455[/snapback]

It's strictly business. TD would battle the devil himslef if he thought there was something to gain. "Personal" is not listed in his job description.

According to this camp report Shelton is detroying everyone.

http://thebrownsboard.com/groupee/forums/a...24/m/7841057822

398521[/snapback]

While I'm a Shelton fan, (I still lament we didn't trade for him straight up for Henry) I don't count destroying everyone in training camp as a good indicator. Especially since the biggest "name" DE the Browns have is Orpheous Roye, who's single season high in sacks is 4.5. As I definately feel Shelton be an improvement over Mike Gandy. While Gandy might not be as bad as some of us make him out to be, I think we're stuck for him for one season unless we can get Verba to lower his demands (as don't like the idea of Teague or Peters at LT). Yet truley feel our long term plan for LT is going to come in the form of a 1st Round pick in next years draft.

While I'm a Shelton fan, (I still lament we didn't trade for him straight up for Henry) I don't count destroying everyone in training camp as a good indicator. Especially since the biggest "name" DE the Browns have is Orpheous Roye, who's single season high in sacks is 4.5. As I definately feel Shelton be an improvement over Mike Gandy. While Gandy might not be as bad as some of us make him out to be, I think we're stuck for him for one season unless we can get Verba to lower his demands (as don't like the idea of Teague or Peters at LT). Yet truley feel our long term plan for LT is going to come in the form of a 1st Round pick in next years draft.

398533[/snapback]

I agree with everything you say.

But it sure sounds like Shelton is tearing it up with the folks he has available to practice with. Granted he may not do well against the top tier guys but they sure seem to like him out there. Here is some more:

http://dawgtalk.clevelandbrowns.com/ubbthr...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

But it sure sounds like Shelton is tearing it up with the folks he has available to practice with.  Granted he may not do well against the top tier guys but they sure seem to like him out there.  Here is some more:

398539[/snapback]

Great story, I especially liked the line "Let's not talk about Verba. He's not here anymore." As I was just about to post something like this in the thread about Jennings being injured but held off to not hurt any feelings.

But it sure sounds like Shelton is tearing it up with the folks he has available to practice with.  Granted he may not do well against the top tier guys but they sure seem to like him out there.  Here is some more:

398539[/snapback]

That article talks more about attitude than performance. Mostly sounds like a slam on Verba...

Hardly.  Shelton is playing against what would be 2nd stringers for the Bills.  And check out OverToad's post.

398639[/snapback]

I see you find one poster on two boards out of hundreds who doesn't like Shelton. Needless to say this one poster is someone who hasn't been to camp and seen him play and generally seems to have a bad attitude about everything similar to our Crap Throwing Monkey and you give him creedance. Gotha. You're like the fox with the grapes. They must be sour huh? Since you can't have him.