Mulrakey's line of bull and cows

JoeF

Mularkey's quote about the old days when he played under Bud Grant:

"When I played for Bud (Grant in the early 1980s), there was no water on the field," Mularkey remembers. "But if there was a cattle warning on the radio and the farmers were warned to bring their cattle in, we'd get a water break."

I bet he is telling the team that when he was growing up in Miami he walked to school uphill both ways through 5' drifts of snow or beach sand or whatever...

I know the emphasis was not on hydration during Coach Moo's time as a player..but I thought the quote was funny...

"When I played for Bud (Grant in the early 1980s), there was no water on the field," Mularkey remembers. "But if there was a cattle warning on the radio and the farmers were warned to bring their cattle in, we'd get a water break."

I bet he is telling the team that when he was growing up in Miami he walked to school uphill both ways through 5' drifts of snow or beach sand or whatever...

I know the emphasis was not on hydration during Coach Moo's time as a player..but I thought the quote was funny...

397999[/snapback]

I went to the same school as Mularkey and can assure you there is no hills or beach sand. LOL

397999[/snapback]

Korey Stringer changed every policy regarding outdoor practice the Vikings have ever had.

Korey Stringer changed every policy regarding outdoor practice the Vikings have ever had.

398132[/snapback]

Sad but true T, but I wouldn't limit it to just the Vikings--it was a wake up call to every team and the league.

Sad but true T, but I wouldn't limit it to just the Vikings--it was a wake up call to every team and the league.

398195[/snapback]

It should be a wake up call to any team in any sport that plays during the hotter months or in hotter climates. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop the heat-related casualties. It has made people more aware, but there's still that built in machismo that will make people 'soldier on', even though they are dangerously close to dehydrating and over-heating themselves.

It should be a wake up call to any team in any sport that plays during the hotter months or in hotter climates.  Unfortunately, it doesn't stop the heat-related casualties.  It has made people more aware, but there's still that built in machismo that will make people 'soldier on', even though they are dangerously close to dehydrating and over-heating themselves.

398207[/snapback]

It's a difficult balance as there is such a thing as over-hydrating too. Too much water can cause dangerously low sodium levels. Of course, they usually use electrolyte balancing drinks such as Gatorade or Pedialyte (!) which reduces the risk.

It's a difficult balance as there is such a thing as over-hydrating too.  Too much water can cause dangerously low sodium levels.  Of course, they usually use electrolyte balancing drinks such as Gatorade or Pedialyte (!) which reduces the risk.

398234[/snapback]

Pedialyte is really good for replacing electrolytes, even more so than Gatorade.

It's a difficult balance as there is such a thing as over-hydrating too.  Too much water can cause dangerously low sodium levels.  Of course, they usually use electrolyte balancing drinks such as Gatorade or Pedialyte (!) which reduces the risk.

398234[/snapback]

Back in the "old days", before sodium was villified, salt tablets were standard issue in athletics and widely sold at drug stores to the general public.