[OT] What am I missing here?

What you’re seeing, in addition to the desire to get a good deal, is the “shopping as entertainment” trend that Americans have always been drawn to. People think it’s fun to shop at and IKEA and go just to walk around and see stuff.

I hate shopping. That's why I buy 95% of my stuff online (including groceries - SimonDelivers.com rocks in the Twin Cities!).

CW

We went to the one in Toronto last year. My wife disappeared. Good thing I brought a book. Four hours later we left with one new hamper. Perfect day of vacationing. I got to read in peace and spent little and she got to shop in peace.

I work with the retailing industry and have for my entire career. The IKEA phenomenon has been going on for years. Whenever they open a new store, the area experiences tremendous traffic issues during their first few days. There’s always a lot of fanfare when they open.

What you’re seeing, in addition to the desire to get a good deal, is the “shopping as entertainment” trend that Americans have always been drawn to. People think it’s fun to shop at and IKEA and go just to walk around and see stuff.

That’s not necessarily who I am but it is true of a surprisingly vast number of folks.

397140[/snapback]

I still don't get it. :blink:

WFAA-TV:

'People flocked by the thousands :blink: to opening day at the newest Ikea store in Frisco on Wednesday morning, stuffing parking lots and forming a long line that stretched around the building...

..."If we don't stick together we'll lose each other, because this is chaos," one shopper told News 8.'

Dallas Morning News:

'Her 13-year-old daughter, Jasmyn Beasley, returned from a scouting mission to check their place in line.

"I calculate it will be about 30 minutes to an hour, if we're lucky," Jasmyn said...

...Extra police, temporary signs and other measures were being put into place to help alleviate the anticipated traffic congestion around the Dallas North Tollway and State Highway 121. '

I still don't get it. :blink:

WFAA-TV:

'People flocked by the thousands  :blink: to opening day at the newest Ikea store in Frisco on Wednesday morning, stuffing parking lots and forming a long line that stretched around the building...

..."If we don't stick together we'll lose each other, because this is chaos," one shopper told News 8.'

Dallas Morning News:

'Her 13-year-old daughter, Jasmyn Beasley, returned from a scouting mission to check their place in line.

"I calculate it will be about 30 minutes to an hour, if we're lucky," Jasmyn said...

...Extra police, temporary signs and other measures were being put into place to help alleviate the anticipated traffic congestion around the Dallas North Tollway and State Highway 121. '

397461[/snapback]

People are effed up--sending a 13 year old girl on a scouting mission and expecting to get an accurate picture of the enemies strengths :blink:

its trendy, its inexpensive, its sturdy furniture, but it can be a B word to put together, and the coup de grace....sweedish meatballs!!!!!!! we like IKEA

My wife and I have been sort of amused by this local story for the last couple of days, but after thinking about it for a while, it has now begun to scare me.

In the Dallas suburbs, there is a new IKEA furniture store that is opening today.

Two words from me: So what?

And this is where this discussion would normally end, except that:

1. Dozens of people have been (literally) camping out in front of the store for the last few days, in order to be the first to enter the store when it opens. :blink:

2. The store is located in the City of Frisco, and the police department there is putting additional officers on overtime duty to handle the "mob of shoppers". :blink:

3. The City has put up about two dozen of those "variable message signs" along the roads around the store, in order to direct traffic. There's even a message on the overhead sign on the adjacent freeway telling people where to exit for the store. :blink:

4. There has been media coverage about this store for the past week, even more coverage than when President Bush visited Dallas last year. :blink:

This leads to the following question:

What are my wife and I "missing" that all these other people "seem to get"?

Press Release

397039[/snapback]

Some time ago -- maybe a year? -- a new IKEA opened on Route 4 in Paramus, which you may know is the middle of Mall Heaven in North Jersey. Lots of anticipation and publicity, nutzo traffic jams the first weekend. In two or three days it all blew over and now it's just another ordinary big store with its own parking ramp.

My wife cruised it once and vowed never again. I still haven't been there myself.

So the answer is: no, you're not missing anything.

They have great candles and wooden coat hangers.

Some of the kitchen chottskie stuff is nice - if you like the European shi-shi International Style taste of things.

I think they've gone down hill in the last 5 years.

Most of their furniture now is pressed board.

If your house/apartment is empty and you need to find some cheap functional stuff, then it's a great place to buy. Otherwise it's a 2-3 hour backache in the making.

No, it's not.  IKEA has some really devoted followers.  One opened in Minneapolis a year or so ago and the same thing happened here.  I didn't know any of the people camping, but I talked to a lot of people who had been to the Chicago one and they all said it was the best store ever.

My wife and I went there a few months ago and weren't impressed with anything there.  I think it's really good if you've just graduated from college and need something to furnish a new apartment or something, but that's about it...

Although their swedish meatballs are supposed to be really good (and cheap).

CW

397064[/snapback]

You hit the nail on the head. It's really good for your first apartment or dorm room.

Most furniture is designed to be cheap and for small spaces.

If you buy anything from there be ready to spend the next couple of  years putting it together.

397093[/snapback]

:lol:

It must be our American education and not understanding picture directions.

When installing, don't over analyize and over torque. Things seemed to be not over-engineered, which a lot of people have a hard time with.

Things there are low-cost, simple. This isn't saying that some things aren't junk either. Doesn't bode well for the sprawling, Conan size taste many have.

That being said... I don't get why people can't just wait for the frenzy to die down and go check the place out on a week-night...

We went to the one in Toronto last year. My wife disappeared. Good thing I brought a book. Four hours later we left with one new hamper.  Perfect day of vacationing. I got to read in peace and spent little and she got to shop in peace.

397219[/snapback]

Whenever the wife wants to shop, there are two rules:

1. I bring a book

2. She drives

#1 is so I do not get the urge to kill her for wanting to check out "just one more store".

#2 is beacause she will be "driving" whichever side of the front seat she is located. "the other lane is moving faster" "that light was red" "why are you going this way?" :lol: