Jerry Garcia

As a guitar player I just don't understand the attraction of Jerry and The Dead.  Some of my fringe friends liked them when I was growing up and I just couldn't get it.  Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, Blackmore, Lowell George I got.

They play very basic music.  Trust me, it's basic.  I'd be generous if I said their singing is barely on key.  When they try harmony I cringe.  I'll give you this though.  They sure could play a long long time without taking a break. A friggin long time.  I wonder how they did that?

Jerry did a lot with nine and a half fingers.  He had a hard life on top of it.  This many years after his death.  I still don't know if he's more grateful to be dead than I am.

396465[/snapback]

Same as Buffett. He has little musical ability but it's just more of an escape. At least with Parrotheads, mostly middle age middle class people looking for a day or two to pretend you're on an island with no cares.

The Deadheads sort of the same thing but more of a way of life.

.Jerry Garcia, 10 years ago today............the fat man left us for good. We miss you Jerry. ;)

395960[/snapback]

And a sad day it was. Though his skills had dramatically declined post-1983, he still had a lot more music in him...

what a shame.

I've never seen the Dead live but my brother was a big fan. I've always enjoyed their studio albums but the live stuff was too long to hold my attention. I guess it was different if you were there in person. The "Space" jams always sounded like somebody tuning their guitars to me.

Same as Buffett.  He has little musical ability but it's just more of an escape.  At least with Parrotheads, mostly middle age middle class people looking for a day or two to pretend you're on an island with no cares.

396678[/snapback]

I went to my first Buffet concert last year and had an absolute blast. The tailgating was insane...almost disturbing, and the concert was great. Whether we were watching the "wanna earn some beads" competition or doing a shot of tequila from a giant ice chute...just a great time.

I suspect being at a Dead concert when Garcia was alive was slightly like it, but with people who were happy for other reasons. ;)

I also like Larry Carlton and Pat Metheny. I understand playing outside and playing inside, modes and alternate scales. Thanks for bringing it to my attention about the dead. I did not give them credit for that complexity. I'm glad their fans are pleased with that type of sound.

10 years? Wow!  ...man time flies

396674[/snapback]

That is the same thing I thought when I read the thread title. I'm getting older a LOT faster than I thought.

I was always into groups like the Ramones, Ministry, Butthole Surfers, Rage Against the Machine...etc... I don't have any Dead or Phish songs in my collection, but I would go to see either one whenever I had a chance to.

There was something electric and exciting about Dead and Phish shows. I'm sure that sometimes it did have something to do with Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds or cow dropping growths (dam those were good times...I think ;):devil::devil: ), but dam those were some good times.

I also like Larry Carlton and Pat Metheny.  I understand playing outside and playing inside, modes and alternate scales.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention about the dead.  I did not give them credit for that complexity.  I'm glad their fans are pleased with that type of sound.

396876[/snapback]

A lot of people make the same assumptions. It's common. I just introduced one of my neighbors who's a real appreciative of music to them and he couldn't stop listening to it. He had heard the regular cheese on the radio and had no idea. I like Carlton too BTW, and I appreciate Metheny, but there's some just a little bit sterile about him to me.

I went to my first Buffet concert last year and had an absolute blast. The tailgating was insane...almost disturbing, and the concert was great. Whether we were watching the "wanna earn some beads" competition or doing a shot of  tequila from a giant ice chute...just a great time.

I suspect being at a Dead concert when Garcia was alive was slightly like it, but with people who were happy for other reasons. ;)

396817[/snapback]

Damn brother....I went to my first JB show last summer as well. The first weekend of school, me and my 3 buddies organized a trip of about 15 people to see him at Chicago. The four of us drive down there with the truck full of brats, beer and two 5-gallon Gatorade coolers filled with margaritas. We had tables, chairs, stools, games, booze, food, grills, captain hats, hawaiin shirts and we thought we were the sh--.

I tell you, we looked like a bunch of fvckin rookies.

As I'm sure you now know, to call Jimmy Buffett fans well-prepared is a distrubingly vast understatement. Those people came to party, and it was the best day of the year.

Wikpedia says he died of sleep apnea. I think the damage the drugs did finally got to him. He died while in rehab.

396475[/snapback]

Jerry Garcia died of "sleep apnea" like Hendrix died of an upset stomach.

And stojan...once...just ONCE...get your head out of your ass.

Same as Buffett.  He has little musical ability but it's just more of an escape.  At least with Parrotheads, mostly middle age middle class people looking for a day or two to pretend you're on an island with no cares.

396678[/snapback]

I live on a Caribbean island (St Croix in the Virgin Islands) and I am a middle age, middle class guy. Unfortunately for all "parrotheads" I think I can honestly say it is very little like a Buffet tune come to life. Still a nice place to live in many ways, though.