Ward officially begins holdout

Here is my take on the contracts. Rookie deals (except for first 10 picks of fisrt round) can really suck, thats why teams covet them so much) really hinder a guy in making the money he is worth. Thats why when I see guys like Walker and Boldin and I think Ward want to get paid like the top players they are, with the prospect of getting injured with no guaranteed contracts, I can accept their holdouts. However, once a guy is onto his second contract, he then has just as much leverage as the team.

He accepts a SIGNING bonus inliu of a guaranteed contract. However, the teams leverage is that by agreeing to this signing bonus, you will also play far me at this salry for the next X years. Like in any negotitiation, both sides must get something . out of the deal. The players absolutely understand when they sign the deal the only thing promised is the signing bonus.That bonus can NEVER be taken back for lack of performance! Now, I think some of these players are starting to realize  that the bonus thats reported in the media is not always what is actually guaranteed in the contract, but the agent likes to leak that so he looks better. From what I hear, MCCallister contract was reported as $12M bonus, but only six of that is signing, the other part he will probably never see, just like TO.

Howevah, you signed that deal when you had the options, not when you where tied by the draft to a certain team. So therefore, in my opinion, deal with and live up to it. Cant help if your agent sucked, thats just life, you threw in with the wrong guy. Look at Arrington, his dolt agent never` read the contract before he approved it and had Lavar sign it. Whos fault is that. Kinda like going to a brokerage house and saying i want my money back cause I lost money in stocks you recommended.

On their secong contract, these guys know the risks they are taking, so live with it

395963[/snapback]

I agree with a lot of what you said. I guess my main point is that I think the way the system is setup is unfair. I agree that the players know what they are getting themselves into, but it's funny that no one says that the owners/GMs know what they are getting themselves into.

It's like you say: "So therefore, in my opinion, deal with and live up to it. Can' help if your agent sucked...etc."

I think this IS the common viewpoint of most fans. However, no fan ever says that about a GM. When's the last time a GM signed some player to a contract that was more than he was worth and then in year 2 or 3 when he wants to cut him, fans say "You signed him, you knew the risks, so live up to it." Or someone says "Damn GM is being so greedy, why can't he just pay the player what he agreed to?" That never happens. The animosity in these situations is always one-sided. Teams can go ahead and cut players when they want, with no backlash, but when players holdout, usually it's an issue.

I understand your point about the signing bonus sort of countering that. But still, even if a signing bonus is $15 million, usually that is a fraction of the total contract.

I think all sports should have incentive-based, guaranteed contracts. That should just be the only thing a GM accepts. That way you dont have these lazy POS baseball players who steal their $15 mill/year and then mail it in for 6 seasons and you dont have a bunch of NFL players who are constantly trying to re-value themselves. I think you have to guarantee players money for the life of the contract, but you also have to have a check just in case they don't perfrom (for whatever reason).

I think that would save a lot of headaches in all sports.

how many times has he been called, one of the best WRs in the game?

how many probowls has he gone to?

he deserves more than 1 mil a year.

nothing would tick me off mroe, than making the probowl 4 years in a row, and know im making less than the 2nd round draft pick. :doh:

I don't think Ward should be villified the way he is (you should see how they're tearing him apart on some of the Steelers boards!). The guy wants to get paid like an All-Pro receiver. Big deal. I'm sure both sides will come to an agreement of some kind, as he is still the most beloved player on that team, even if their fans want to hold a childish grudge for something each of them would do in his situation.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I guess my main point is that I think the way the system is setup is unfair. I agree that the players know what they are getting themselves into, but it's funny that no one says that the owners/GMs know what they are getting themselves into.

It's like you say: "So therefore, in my opinion, deal with and live up to it. Can' help if your agent sucked...etc."

I think this IS the common viewpoint of most fans. However, no fan ever says that about a GM. When's the last time a GM signed some player to a contract that was more than he was worth and then in year 2 or 3 when he wants to cut him, fans say "You signed him, you knew the risks, so live up to it." Or someone says "Damn GM is being so greedy, why can't he just pay the player what he agreed to?" That never happens. The animosity in these situations is always one-sided. Teams can go ahead and cut players when they want, with no backlash, but when players holdout, usually it's an issue.

I understand your point about the signing bonus sort of countering that. But still, even if a signing bonus is $15 million, usually that is a fraction of the total contract.

I think all sports should have incentive-based, guaranteed contracts. That should just be the only thing a GM accepts. That way you dont have these lazy POS baseball players who steal their $15 mill/year and then mail it in for 6 seasons and you dont have a bunch of NFL players who are constantly trying to re-value themselves. I think you have to guarantee players money for the life of the contract, but you also have to have a check just in case they don't perfrom (for whatever reason).

I think that would save a lot of headaches in all sports.

396044[/snapback]

The GM is not backing out. Because the player signed with a bonus, the option to cut that player rests with the GM, and both sides know this. Do not forget it is most often the agent who wants the team to report that so and so signed a 7 year, $42M contract, with a $15M bonus structure. Only problem with that is both the agent and the GM know that only $6M is in the form of a signing bonus, with the other portions being in the form of roster bonuses and such, that the player may, and quite likely, will never see.

Now, if they announced the deal as a three year deal with a $6M bonus and total comp at $13M, wouldn't look like the agent was doing as good.

Great examle is TO. Reed and Banner sat him down before he signed the contract last year and told him explicity(according to Gene Upshaw and Sal Paloantonio) that this was a two year contract, and that most likely he would never see the second bonus tranche or salary for year three through 7. He accepted that then,and gave his word not to be a PITA about it. Now, hes crying his last agent sucked, and pay me more now . Sorry pal, doesn't work that way. Like I said, I do feel for some of these guys picked in the third and fourth rds that prove to be in the top third at their position. But never, never, never ever, for guys who have signed their second contracts.

The GM is not backing out. Because the player signed with a bonus, the option to cut that player rests with the GM, and both sides know this. Do not forget it is most often the agent who wants the team to report that so and so signed a 7 year, $42M contract, with a $15M bonus structure. Only problem with that is both the agent and the GM know that only $6M is in the form of a signing bonus, with the other portions being in the form of roster bonuses and such, that the player may, and quite likely, will never see.

Now, if they announced the deal as a three year deal with a $6M bonus and total comp at $13M, wouldn't look like the agent was doing as good.

Great examle is TO. Reed and Banner sat him down before he signed the contract last year and told him explicity(according to Gene Upshaw and Sal Paloantonio) that this was a two year contract, and that most likely he would never see the second bonus tranche or salary for year three through 7. He accepted that then,and gave his word not to be a PITA about it. Now, hes crying  his last agent sucked, and pay me more now . Sorry pal, doesn't work that way. Like I said, I do feel for some of these guys picked in the third and fourth rds that prove to be in the top third at their position. But never, never, never ever, for guys who have signed their second contracts.

396085[/snapback]

Exactly, its like Bruenell last year with the redskins...he signed a 6 yr 48 million dollar deal (or something close to that) but had to know there was no way he was ever going to see the back end of the contract...he got his 8 million signing bonus, and his contract was worth 2 yrs 12 mil or 3 yrs 20 mil, somehing along those lines...at his age, did he really think he was gonna see the last 3 years at 28 million? Hell no. But as stated, it looks better for the agent and the player if they get a 6 for 48 as opposed to a 3 for 20 million deal...

Probably so, to go along w/:

the Greg Lloyd reversable jersey I bought her for her birthday 8 years ago, or...

the Lee Flowers jersey she bought after we got married 6 years ago, or...

the Roethlisberger jersey she got as a Christmas gift from Mommy last year.

395955[/snapback]

geez......if this keeps up you may have to buck up and add another closet just for her football wardrobes