Tiger Woods. 61 Yesterday.

It's always tough to compare people from different eras. That's like saying Jim Brown was great, but Emmitt Smith was way better because he had more yards in his career. Considering Brown would've had the same advantages as Smith (training, talent around him, facilities, etc.), and considering Brown wasn't chasing a record as those who followed him were, who knows what he could've done? Personally, I think he could've had 20,000 yards rushing in his career if he really wanted to. The guy won 8 rushing titles in 9 seasons and NEVER missed a game!

You could easily compare that situation to Tiger and Nicklaus. Nicklaus would've had the same advantages as Tiger has now, so he may be doing just as well, if not better, than Tiger. Same goes for guys like Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, and many others. It does make it fun for discussion, but there's really no telling what peoople from different eras would do were they competing in the same era.

61!!!!. BACK-TO-BACK eagles. Said he was dissapointed, as he could have gotten a 59.

Best ever? No question. Jack was great, but I'm sorry, he was no Tiger.

393980[/snapback]

rumor has it that it was at the Grandview Open....

Jack was great, but I'm sorry, he was no Tiger.

393980[/snapback]

Yep, given the equipment he had to play with, Jack was better!

Tiger's all-time 72 hole record of 270 at the 1997 Masters was only one stroke ahead of Jack's 271 in 1965. I doubt Tiger was hitting many 2 irons into the greens at Augusta like Jack was.

Tiger will break Jack's records in a few years. But Nicklaus' dominance during his era will be hard to replicate, IMO.

Yep, given the equipment he had to play with, Jack was better!

Tiger's all-time 72 hole record of 270 at the 1997 Masters was only one stroke ahead of Jack's 271 in 1965.  I doubt Tiger was hitting many 2 irons into the greens at Augusta like Jack was.

Tiger will break Jack's records in a few years.  But Nicklaus' dominance during his era will be hard to replicate, IMO.

394026[/snapback]

Yeah, but they changed the course to "accomodate" Tiger. I walked the course before/after and it was a big difference. Granted we can all agree today's equipment is much better, but they are making the courses harder.