JP is not going to be Big Ben

A. He is not going to be 15-1, but more significantly,

B. He is not going to be just a caretaker like Big Ben. They are going to let him go. And make plays. he will be asked to play smart, but he is not going to play conservative.

The reason I think this is simple. The Bills plan to win this year. They need to win this year. This isn't a step back year or a rebuilding year. If they really thought they were just going to let Losman be a caretaker quarterback, just out there not to make mistakes, they really would not have built him up the way they did. They would have known they were getting a veteran back-up like Holcomb (simply because they had to) and not awarded Losman the job as soon as they released Bledsoe.

Frankly, if they wanted to have a smart, caretaker QB who didn't make a ton of mistakes and relied on the running game and playmaker WRs and defense and special teams to win games, they already have that guy in Kelly Holcomb. It wouldn't seriously retard Losman's growth to sit him on the bench one more year, and play him in certain games and mop-up duty.

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with the play-calling and the way they use Losman. I don't expect this to be a Pittsburgh style (of last year) power offense at all. I do expect Willis to carry the load and run a lot. But I expect Losman to air it out, to go downfield, to run, and do all of the things you would want a mobile quarterback to do, and not just reign him in to keep the mistakes to a minimum. He'll make mistakes, for sure, but this won't be a conservative boring offense.

B. He is not going to be just a caretaker like Big Ben. They are going to let him go. And make plays. he will be asked to play smart, but he is not going to play conservative.

393277[/snapback]

I don't know if I'd characterize Roethlisburger as a caretaker, but yes, I expect a bit more open pass game - helped by completing the short stuff.

Look at his stats.  Pretty pedestrian.

Dude through for under 200 yards 11 times.  That's pretty much the definition of caretaker.

393299[/snapback]

He also threw more than 25 passes only once during the regular season...if you do a typical break down, , thats about 6 or so passes per quarter on average, and figure 2-3 drives/team/quarter, he was throwing no more than 2-3 passes on any given drive...i'd say that easily qualifies as a caretaker QB

:blush: Guess the coaches should change their thinking when they have a lead.

393312[/snapback]

That certainly played a role somewhat in how much throwing they did, but when watching their games it was pretty obvious that they were doing everything in their power to minimize his role in deciding the outcome.

What really got me about him was his presence in the redzone. I think he only completed like 15 passes all year down there, but 10 were for TDs and he threw NO interceptions.

That certainly played a role somewhat in how much throwing they did, but when watching their games it was pretty obvious that they were doing everything in their power to minimize his role in deciding the outcome. 

What really got me about him was his presence in the redzone.  I think he only completed like 15 passes all year down there, but 10 were for TDs and he threw NO interceptions.

393319[/snapback]

Ahh, he sucks. Ask anyone here; they'll tell you.

What really got me about him was his presence in the redzone.  I think he only completed like 15 passes all year down there, but 10 were for TDs and he threw NO interceptions.

393319[/snapback]

Definitely. Stats really didnt tell the story on him. He really made a lot of plays when they needed him to. Especially redzone, short runs for third downs and the stuff that moved the chains and kept the defense off the field. It did, ultimately, catch up to him and them when they needed him to make a lot of plays and he just couldnt do it. Still, I like the guy. I just think the Bills brass isn't going to keep the reigns on JP the way the Steelers did with BR.

I don't know if I'd characterize Roethlisburger as a caretaker, but yes, I expect a bit more open pass game - helped by completing the short stuff.

393296[/snapback]

I would definately call him a caretaker last season.

He averaged 187 yards/game in his 14 regular season games.

He averaged just 21 pass attempts per game.

They didn't put the weight on his shoulders, they put it on the running game.

That being said if you look at his situational stats, his QB rating was at its highest when he was playing from behind.

BEHIND BY 9-TO-16 POINTS: 117.9

BEHIND BY 1-TO-8 POINTS: 106.3

BEHIND: 113.3

That is good stuff. I think the kid has a lot of potential and will have a long NFL career, but he was a caretaker last year.

:blush: Guess the coaches should change their thinking when they have a lead.

393312[/snapback]

They had a lot of comebacks. Look at the box scores, at least 4 they were behind in but came back towards the end of the season. But I'll say this, I watched Pitt games last year, and Big Ben can throw for 300 yards.. he just hasn't.

edit: ahhh.. sfladave1 has it covered. read his post its better than mine.

The reason I think this is simple. The Bills plan to win this year. They need to win this year. This isn't a step back year or a rebuilding year. If they really thought they were just going to let Losman be a caretaker quarterback, just out there not to make mistakes, they really would not have built him up the way they did. They would have known they were getting a veteran back-up like Holcomb (simply because they had to) and not awarded Losman the job as soon as they released Bledsoe.

Frankly, if they wanted to have a smart, caretaker QB who didn't make a ton of mistakes and relied on the running game and playmaker WRs and defense and special teams to win games, they already have that guy in Kelly Holcomb. It wouldn't seriously retard Losman's growth to sit him on the bench one more year, and play him in certain games and mop-up duty.

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with the play-calling and the way they use Losman. I don't expect this to be a Pittsburgh style (of last year) power offense at all. I do expect Willis to carry the load and run a lot. But I expect Losman to air it out, to go downfield, to run, and do all of the things you would want a mobile quarterback to do, and not just reign him in to keep the mistakes to a minimum. He'll make mistakes, for sure, but this won't be a conservative boring offense.

393277[/snapback]

I agree but I don't think Mularkey is going to let him wing it either. Yes, I really think we play JP conservatively this year and let the rest of the team win games for us. Expecting him to do more is just unrealistic.

I agree but I don't think Mularkey is going to let him wing it either.  Yes, I really think we play JP conservatively this year and let the rest of the team win games for us.  Expecting him to do more is just unrealistic.

393385[/snapback]

Wingin' it isn't the same thing, to me. I just expect the Bills to not try to coddle or to reign in Losman. He's emotional. He can make plays. he can get the ball downfield with a strong arm. We have a lot of speed. I just expect them to be an exciting offense, with a lot of innovative plays and sets. We won't ask him to do too much, but he will throw the ball deep, he will pass on first down, he will have the whole playbook at his disposal. He just won't be asked to throw 25-30 times every game.

I hope they don't baby JP at all.  the Bills have a solid defense and ST to bail JP out of trouble.  Just give him teh ball and let him go with it.

393337[/snapback]

Of course, every game we are going to get kickoff returns for TD's and 3 INT per game like we did during our winning streak last year...

I am confident in the '05 squad, but let's not forget they beat 6 nobody's last year and the Jets, Rams, and Shehawks (who are not exactly powerhouses).

I am confident in the '05 squad, but let's not forget they beat 6 nobody's last year and the Jets, Rams, and Shehawks (who are not exactly powerhouses).

393402[/snapback]

Seattle, St. Louis and the Jets may not be POWERHOUSES, but they were all playoff teams last year. Give a little credit, where credit is due.

Seattle, St. Louis and the Jets may not be POWERHOUSES, but they were all playoff teams last year.  Give a little credit, where credit is due.

393409[/snapback]

That's why I singled them out instead of saying 9 nobody's. Rams and Shehawks, both 8-8, and do you know anybody who is scared of the Jets?

But I do give them credit- playoff teams while the Bills were not.

I would definately call him a caretaker last season.

He averaged 187 yards/game in his 14 regular season games.

He averaged just 21 pass attempts per game.

They didn't put the weight on his shoulders, they put it on the running game.

That being said if you look at his situational stats, his QB rating was at its highest when he was playing from behind.

BEHIND BY 9-TO-16 POINTS: 117.9

BEHIND BY 1-TO-8 POINTS: 106.3

BEHIND: 113.3

That is good stuff. I think the kid has a lot of potential and will have a long NFL career, but he was a caretaker last year.

393364[/snapback]

Right now, I'd take these numbers for JP, without an argument. And I wouldn't care what people called him.