Why did this Guy get Fired?

Muhsin Muhammad, Cedric Benson and Fred Miller may have been the headline acquisitions during the offseason, but the signing with the biggest impact was strength and conditioning coach Rusty Jones. Jones gave the Bears a conditioning and nutritional program that should limit the number of hamstring pulls and groin injuries.

A year ago, the Bears' training camp was a mess. Within the first week of camp, more than a dozen players were being treated for groin or hamstring pulls. Hydration was apparently a problem. Brian Urlacher was hurt in the first hour of the first practice, and fought the injury all season. "I think a lot of times reputation will do a lot for you, and Rusty has a history for his total program," Bears coach Lovie Smith said. "He's big on nutrition. He's been talking about hydration from day one."

The Bears had roughly 17 pulled muscles last season, more than a dozen during training camp. In the past two decades, the teams Jones has worked for have suffered a very low number of pulled muscles or dehydration problems. Camp started with temperatures in the 100s. The only player with a pulled muscle was fullback Marc Edwards, who was signed off the street late last week. There have been no dehydration problems.

Than again, Clayton is really going off this year on what an idiot TD is, maybe just a continuation of his personal agenda

The trainer/strength and conditioning coach has always been a behind the scenes kind of guy who you don't normally hear much about. Obviously because of his length of tenure here in Buffalo, it had become known what a great and respected job Rusty Jones had been doing with the Bills. I believe that when Brad Roll was brought on board last year by Mularkey, that the handwriting was on the wall for Jones. It is one of those good 'ole boy hirings where MM must feel that my guy can do the job just as well as the old guy. Only time will tell...

He wasn't fired, was he? I thought Donahoe brought another guy in, but when he did, he game Jones a promotion or new title or something, which ultimately probably gave him more cash. I thought Jones left on his own.

He wasn't fired, was he?  I thought Donahoe brought another guy in, but when he did, he game Jones a promotion or new title or something, which ultimately probably gave him more cash.  I thought Jones left on his own.

393117[/snapback]

http://www.wben.com/newsroom/sportsreport.php?newsid=0668

Sometimes when you are stripped of the duties you previously held and "promoted" into a new position, you don't have a choice but to leave.

While I don't doubt Rusty is very good at what he does, an expert in fact, how really frickin' hard is it to implement a conditioning (lift weights ya meatheads),nutrition (hey eat right you beached whale) and hydration (drink this water/gatorade or you're going to pass out and maybe die) program?

While the job is very important, if we miss the playoffs again this year, it won't be because of Rusty fuggin' Jones.

While I don't doubt Rusty is very good at what he does, an expert in fact, how really frickin' hard is it to implement a conditioning (lift weights ya meatheads),nutrition (hey eat right you beached whale) and hydration (drink this water/gatorade or you're going to pass out and maybe die) program?

While the job is very important, if we miss the playoffs again this year, it won't be because of Rusty fuggin' Jones.

393147[/snapback]

Unless we get twelve pulled groins or hammys in camp that last all year

Unless we get twelve pulled groins or hammys in camp that last all year

393166[/snapback]

On the twelfth day of our camp, the trainer told to me,

12 Ol' vets taping

11 Ankles aching

10 Gourds 'a leaking

9 Boils lancing

8 Toes 'a turfing

7 Shins 'a skinning

6 Knees 'a swelling

5 Her-nias.

4 Carpet burns

3 Finger bends

2 Nasty shoves

And a sprain on an inside left knee.

...but the signing with the biggest impact was strength and conditioning coach Rusty Jones. Jones gave the Bears a conditioning and nutritional program that should limit the number of hamstring pulls and groin injuries.

The Bears had roughly 17 pulled muscles last season, more than a dozen during training camp.

393107[/snapback]

This may be a sign that Gandy might turn out OK...he had a hammy problem with the Bears when he was cut. If it was due to a poor strength and conditioning program, he may be able to overcome these problems with the Bills.

On the twelfth day of our camp, the trainer told to me,

12  Ol' vets taping

11  Ankles aching

10  Gourds 'a leaking

9    Boils lancing

8    Toes 'a turfing

7    Shins 'a skinning

6    Knees 'a swelling

5    Her-nias.

4 Carpet burns

3 Finger bends

2 Nasty shoves

And a sprain on an inside left knee.

393264[/snapback]

Pretty good ! i like that !

393147[/snapback]

It may not be that difficult, but the Bills were remarkably injury free, compared to a lot of NFL teams, during Rustys' tenure here.

I picked up the latest copy of "Bills Digest", and while I can't remember exactly how he phrased it, in Mike Mularkey's column, he made sort of what seemed to be a veiled swipe at Jones. It was something along the lines of, "conditioning was not what it could have been"....I simply think Mularkey had a guy he was close to, who he wanted to bring in, and it happened to be in the same position that Rusty had. Rusty took the "promotion" for a year, and realized he wasn't liking his new job as much. I remember, he seemed a little leary about his new title going into the 2004 season.

The trainer/strength and conditioning coach has always been a behind the scenes kind of guy who you don't normally hear much about.  Obviously because of his length of tenure here in Buffalo, it had become known what a great and respected job Rusty Jones had been doing with the Bills.  I believe that when Brad Roll was brought on board last year by Mularkey, that the handwriting was on the wall for Jones.  It is one of those good 'ole boy hirings where MM must feel that my guy can do the job just as well as the old guy.  Only time will tell...

393113[/snapback]

I agree with you. Rusty did a great job, but Mike knew Brad from his days in Tampa. Brad did a great job in Tampa, but lost his job when Gruden brought in his boy from Oakland.