This scares the hell out of me!

Frez

Another thing that people fail to realize is that if even duke preston is not ready to start at center, the bills still have ross tucker who can play the position while TT is at LT. People seem to forget about Tucker's mean streak. I think if Gandy should falter moving TT to LT would be a very doable option.

If McNally had no confidence in Gandy at LT, Teague would be getting ALL of the snaps at LT.

Peters is still the darkhorse.

392565[/snapback]

Its hard for me to see Peters being an option at LT at all this year. If he is in fact such a great athlete and has his head screwed on straight enough that switched OL linecalling will not be a problem, then he also a phenominal enough athlete and has the mental ablity to succeed at TE.

Peters apparently brings incredibly soft hands and a big body to his potential at TE, but had incredibly low Wonderlic scores and his penalty last year in his first pro appearance for not alerting the refs that he was a TE with an OL number are signs that even the marginal mental ability needed to play pro football are not there.

I just do not see if he is in fact to stupid to play a position he brings grerat benefit to and has done before, how the heck is he going to master a new position with the huge blindside responsibilities of an LT.

If we insist on making Peters an LT I expect a year before he can be trusted with this task and any contribution we get from him this year is goint to be on ST where you simply wind him up and say go get the ball.

Its hard for me to see Peters being an option at LT at all this year. If he is in fact such a great athlete and has his head screwed on straight enough that switched OL linecalling will not be a problem, then he also a phenominal enough athlete and has the mental ablity to succeed at TE.

Peters apparently brings incredibly soft hands and a big body to his potential at TE, but had incredibly low Wonderlic scores and his penalty last year in his first pro appearance for not alerting the refs that he was a TE with an OL number are signs that even the marginal mental ability needed to play pro football are not there.

I just do not see if he is in fact to stupid to play a position he brings grerat benefit to and has done before, how the heck is he going to master a new position with the huge blindside responsibilities of an LT.

If we insist on making Peters an LT I expect a year before he can be trusted with this task and any contribution we get from him this year is goint to be on ST where you simply wind him up and say go get the ball.

392616[/snapback]

Because LT is much more about physical tools than mental ability.

The TE position requires quite of bit of intelligence to understand where to find the seams and when to release, etc.

It is far more difficult to find the rare speciman who has the quickness and strength to control an elite pass rusher, than it is to find a body to work as a TE.

Peters has the physical tools - but he needs experience which he won't get if he's trying to be a TE.

It only worries me that Teague appears to be the first option at LT should Gandy falter. I would prefer TT at center for at least one more year, with Peters or McFarland being the backup plan at LT. It seems neither may be ready, however.

392549[/snapback]

That's my take on it. Why put yourself in a position where you may need to shuffle the line if you need to implement plan B? On top of that, I don't think Teague is that great of a LT to begin with, based on his performance in Denver. I hope Gandy proves serviceable for this year until we draft a blue chipper in next years draft. Failing that, I hope they pick up the phone and bring in Verba, then maybe Gandy can serve as the swing tackle.

This is not going to be a year showcasing a dominant Bills O-Line.

Face it. We don't have Left Tackle because Mike Williams isn't one.

Follow the money.

But I'm not that worried about the O-Line this year as I have been in the past.

JJ was not an All Pro. IMHO he was barely serviceable at the position.

I'm leaving this year to the pros. That's what JMac is. I've got more faith in him and his teaching abilities than I do in the average TBDer to have figured out by this point in time that we've just about turned into a bona fide contender in the AFC North. That's right. NORTH! :D

I think the whole attitude of the staff is that the LT does not necessarily have to be all-pro material for the offense to be successful.  I do think they really believe Gandy will be a good player - but if he gets hurt or doesn't work out they just need someone capable to take his place.  I think their plan is to emphasize a power running game and also take advantage of JPs mobility (roll outs etc.) to minimize the risk for one specific position on the OL.

392343[/snapback]

I prob wouldn't disagree with this comment but we do have a rookie QB after all and I do think that having a better than average LT is critical. The same can be said of a strong running game.

Teague To Get Reps: OL coach Jim McNally said that Trey Teague will get four or five reps a practice at left tackle during training camp. This is to keep him acclimated to the position in case Mike Gandy falters at the position. Gandy goes into camp with it being his job to lose but there is some question if he is good enough to protect the quarterback's blindside. McNally appears confident in Gandy who was released by two teams last season while being slowed with a hamstring injury. Let us know who you think will be the starter at left tackle by answering our poll question on the homepage.

392331[/snapback]

If I am not mistaken, Teauge is a free agent at the end of this season. True to form (drafting a replacement for an upcoming free agent he feels unsure about), I think TD drafted Duke Preston as Teauge's successor at the Center spot. Best case scenario, from a salary cap standpoint, is that Gandy works out at LT, and Preston gets a year to back up Teauge.

If Gandy bombs at LT, Teauge moves to LT (where he thought he would be playing when he signed with the Bills, remember how unhappy he was about being shifted to center!), and is in auditioning in 2005 to stay on with the Bills as a LT, his preferred position. In this latter scenerio, Preston (who the coaching staff seems very excited about) gets rushed into action as a rookie, he and Losman grow together.

Teauges' performance at LT with the Broncos is being a little downgraded by many here, he wasn't awful, and now has 4 more years of experience. Teauge's biggest asset is his intelligence, to listen to the coaches speak.