This scares the hell out of me!

Frez

Teague To Get Reps: OL coach Jim McNally said that Trey Teague will get four or five reps a practice at left tackle during training camp. This is to keep him acclimated to the position in case Mike Gandy falters at the position. Gandy goes into camp with it being his job to lose but there is some question if he is good enough to protect the quarterback's blindside. McNally appears confident in Gandy who was released by two teams last season while being slowed with a hamstring injury. Let us know who you think will be the starter at left tackle by answering our poll question on the homepage.

If Gandy stubbles at LT and Peters is not ready to step up and start I hope we switch Williams to the left side and keep Teague at C.

Big Mike is already getting LT money and I think he could more effectively make the switch than Teague.

If Gandy and Peters can't cut it at LT:

LT - Williams

LG - Anderson

C - Teague

RG - Villiarial

RT - Gandy, Peters, FA

I think the whole attitude of the staff is that the LT does not necessarily have to be all-pro material for the offense to be successful. I do think they really believe Gandy will be a good player - but if he gets hurt or doesn't work out they just need someone capable to take his place. I think their plan is to emphasize a power running game and also take advantage of JPs mobility (roll outs etc.) to minimize the risk for one specific position on the OL.

If Gandy stubbles at LT and Peters is not ready to step up and start I hope we switch Williams to the left side and keep Teague at C.

Big Mike is already getting LT money and I think he could more effectively make the switch than Teague.

If Gandy and Peters can't cut it at LT:

LT - Williams

LG - Anderson

C - Teague

RG - Villiarial

RT - Gandy, Peters, FA

392339[/snapback]

Never! Williams will struggle with quick pass rushers at RE; you don't make the switch because of pay. Next year I believe Wialliams will be an above average RT but a subpar LT. If Gandy or Peters doesn't pan out I'd rather us look at other FA such as Verba rather than switching Williams or Teague to LT for I feel that from LG to RT we will be at least adequate so why mess with chemistry. I'd rather the Bills give a look at Tucker, Preston, or even Lawrence Smith at LT than to move these guys around if Gandy or Peters flop.

I'm not worried. McNally thinks he can work with Preston at Center,

which gives the line options at LT. Left Tackle is not going to

be a great problem because of a running game and defensive linemen

will no longer be playing capture the flag with an immobile QB.

Relax. :doh:

defensive linemen

will no longer be playing capture the flag with an immobile QB.

Relax.  :doh:

392349[/snapback]

This is going to make such a huge difference this year. You can't overstate how much pressure JP and the running game will take OFF the LT, whoever it is, compared to what we're used to.

In some respects there will be more pressure on Big Mike because JP's natural rollout will be in his direction, to JP's right. But RT's tend not to see the best pass rushers, who line up on the blind side (like Freeney).

McNally appears confident in Gandy who was released by two teams last season while being slowed with a hamstring injury.

392331[/snapback]

If McNally was really that confident in Gandy would Teague be getting any reps at LT during camp...

If McNally was really that confident in Gandy would Teague be getting any reps at LT during camp...

392394[/snapback]

Denver tried Teague at LT didn't they?

Why don't we have a real true LT yet? :doh:

Next year I believe Wialliams will be an above average RT but a subpar LT.

392346[/snapback]

Williams is already an above average RT. What you're not realizing is that most of the top DE pass rushers in the game today come from the left side of the D more often than the right. I'm all for leaving Williams at RT as he's our best tackle and this matches generally matches him up against the best ends.

Never! Williams will struggle with quick pass rushers at RE; you don't make the switch because of pay. Next year I believe Wialliams will be an above average RT but a subpar LT. If Gandy or Peters doesn't pan out I'd rather us look at other FA such as Verba rather than switching Williams or Teague to LT for I feel that from LG to RT we will be at least adequate so why mess with chemistry. I'd rather the Bills give a look at Tucker, Preston, or even Lawrence Smith at LT than to move these guys around if Gandy or Peters flop.

392346[/snapback]

I wasn't suggesting Williams move to the left side because of his contract. I think he would be a good LT. Unlike some on this board I think he did a good job last year, and he offers a better alternative than Teague at LT. He has the physical ability and with the guidence of JMac I think he could make the successful transformation.

392394[/snapback]

Given Gandy's injury history? You betcha he would.

This is a non-story, IMO. Most teams, including the Bills, like to have OL flexibility, with guys having the ability to play multiple positions in a pinch. I wouldn't be surprised if TT didn't get 5-6 reps per practice last year as a contingency if JJ went down.

Having a contingency plan at LT scares you Frez?  I myself would be scared if they put all their eggs in Gandy's (bread) basket.

392379[/snapback]

Agreed. It is also a good thing that Teague has experience at the position.

I have said all along that I think he will be the starting LT when the season starts.

Williams is already an above average RT.  What you're not realizing is that most of the top DE pass rushers in the game today come from the left side of the D more often than the right.  I'm all for leaving Williams at RT as he's our best tackle and this matches generally matches him up against the best ends.

392403[/snapback]

I agree with you; why because of his salary and the fact that he makes LT money think about moving him to LT? If Teague, Villarial, and Williams play in 2005 even matches last year then I'd feel comfortable with that side of the line. If Anderson is an upgrade over Tucker (who by the way I think did an OK job) and Gandy does an adequate job then I feel that our OL while not dominant is good enough to get the job done. I mean Price came in the last 2 years for Jennings and the OL didn't miss a beat. So by trying Teague at LT or others you need insurance in case of injuries, not just for competition.

I feel that our QB will determine our fateas we have all the pieces in place to excel if we have a QB who can respond under pressure. I know JP is essentially a rookie so that remains to be seen. But hopefully he is not like Drew and needs almost perfect pass protection and 10+ seconds to scan the field in order to be effective.

I'm not worried. McNally thinks he can work with Preston at Center,

which gives the line options at LT.

392349[/snapback]

Actually, this was the most promising this I got from the article. If McNally is really that confident that Preston could potentially step in at C, then he's probably pretty damn good. Which also means good things for next season when Teague's contract is up.

I agree with you; why because of his salary and the fact that he makes LT money think about moving him to LT? If Teague, Villarial, and Williams play in 2005 even matches last year then I'd feel comfortable with that side of the line. If Anderson is an upgrade over Tucker (who by the way I think did an OK job) and Gandy does an adequate job then I feel that our OL while not dominant is good enough to get the job done. I mean Price came in the last 2 years for Jennings and the OL didn't miss a beat. So by trying Teague at LT or others you need insurance in case of injuries, not just for competition.

I feel that our QB will determine our fateas we have all the pieces in place to excel if we have a QB who can respond under pressure. I know JP is essentially a rookie so that remains to be seen. But hopefully he is not like Drew and needs almost perfect pass protection and 10+ seconds to scan the field in order to be effective.

392510[/snapback]

I also don't think folks should freak out about Teague getting some reps at LT and in fact this is expected news to me and a good thing because of the need for a back-up if Gabdy goes down or does not do the job. This looks to me like a sign if anything of JMac feeling better about Teague being a plan B at LT that he thinks Preston may be a good plan B at Center.

Last year not only did Lawrence Smith end up getting some reps at LT, but in fact he even got some PT at LT when injuries forced the Bills to go to back-ups at both tackle slots in one of the final games.

There are simply too many possibilities for this to work out to say what the line-up for OL will definitely be (its great we have lots of options) but a real pain that we do not have an obvious OL line-up which almost certainly will work.

I think a lot of this will be made real simply based on what happens and it is still too early to tell how reality willl in fact work out.

It only worries me that Teague appears to be the first option at LT should Gandy falter. I would prefer TT at center for at least one more year, with Peters or McFarland being the backup plan at LT. It seems neither may be ready, however.

Actually, this was the most promising this I got from the article. If McNally is really that confident that Preston could potentially step in at C, then he's probably pretty damn good. Which also means good things for next season when Teague's contract is up.

392520[/snapback]

Making this move actually doesn't scare hell out of me. Just gets JP and Duke on the same page from the start of each other's career. I'm willing to endure the growing pains of half or a full season so that I-know-exactly-what-he's-thinking relationship can develop. Get it out of the way this season, then we won't be having this same argument next year when Teague is likely gone. Then again, look how many rookie centers have come in and started right away and not lost a step.

392394[/snapback]

If McNally had no confidence in Gandy at LT, Teague would be getting ALL of the snaps at LT.

Peters is still the darkhorse.