Rod Gardner traded to Carolina

It's for a 6th rounder. Apparently, draft choices are very good indication of a player's talent and worth.

Panthers | Gardner Will Cost Sixth-round Draft Choice

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:42:19 -0700

Pat Yasinskas, of the Charlotte Observer, reports the Carolina Panthers will give up a sixth-round draft choice in 2006 to the Washington Redskins for WR Rod Gardner if Gardner passes a physical with the team Thursday, July 28. Sources also noted the compensation is also conditional on Gardner making the team's roster. The Panthers will be responsible for $2 million base salary for Gardner, who is in the final year of his initial contract.

It's for a 6th rounder. Apparently, draft choices are very good indication of a player's talent and worth.

391818[/snapback]

I'd say his talent was worthy of more than a 6th rounder. However, his salary wasn't exactly cap friendly.

Rod Gardner is one of the more enigmatic players in the leauge. He can look like an elite receiver every now and then, and then like dog crap other times. I suspect he will do pretty well in Carolina. He and Steve Smith will make a good tandem for Delhomme. Fantasy football sleeper maybe?

Rod Gardner is one of the more enigmatic players in the leauge.  He can look like an elite receiver every now and then, and then like dog crap other times.  I suspect he will do pretty well in Carolina. He and Steve Smith will make a good tandem for Delhomme.  Fantasy football sleeper maybe?

392034[/snapback]

I don't see Gardner getting much playing time sitting behind Keary Colbert. I think he'll be the #3 wr. He adds good depth to a team who's #3 wr is 135 year old Ricky Proehl

also this little tidbit

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Carolina Panthers were apparently not going to offer a draft pick to the Washington Redskins for WR Rod Gardner. Only after the New Orleans Saints joined the fray, did the Panthers step up and offer a pick for Gardner. Also, the pick the Panthers gave up for Gardner was a conditional sixth-round pick in 2006. If for some reason Gardner does not make the final roster, the Panthers would not owe the Redskins the pick.

Gardner should solidify the Panthers at WR, as they already have Steve Smith and Keary Colbert was solid as a rookie.

392037[/snapback]

What a shame, this guy was supposed to be good/great. What happens to these people?? :doh: