This is whats wrong with music

How will we know what's good if corporations don't tell us?

390497[/snapback]

Don't people get paid to find talent? A&R guys? I have personally played with at least 10 people that have more talent than the next 10 songs you hear on the radio. Thats just me alone.

Perhaps I am a bit cynical being a musician. But still, I can't really remember the last time I heard a song, or a singer and said wow.

Sony pays for airtime

I think it's a sad state of affairs.  Why push this music upon the consumer?  Why not let the consumer decide if they like something or not?

390494[/snapback]

It is disgusting, but nothing new! In a time when op-ed columnists can be paid to espouse certain party agenda, why would the music industry be any different. Check out a film called "American Hot Wax", about Alan Freed. Great movie, and an illustration that nothing has really changed. With corporate mergers, and media conglomeration, you really have to take anything you see/hear with a grain of salt...Sony is not the only one guilty of this....

Don't people get paid to find talent?  A&R guys?  I have personally played with at least 10 people that have more talent than the next 10 songs you hear on the radio.  Thats just me alone.

Perhaps I am a bit cynical being a musician.  But still, I can't really remember the last time I heard a song, or a singer and said wow.

390504[/snapback]

Dude. Sarcasm.

That's what motherment is for, to protect us from the evil, greedy capitalist corporations...

390510[/snapback]

The tards that were elected to our assembly are voting tonight on whether to make bike helmets mandatory for all children (defined by the idiot Grandmother Shamburg who drafted this piece of trash as anyone under the age of 18). They admit that it's not enforceable but want to give parents an easy way out with their children. Gee thanks, Janice. :)

Yeah, I need the government to give me a reason to negotiate with my kids. How 'bout, wear your bike helmet or I'll wear you like a slipper?

Fuggin' motherment.

That's what motherment is for, to protect us from the evil, greedy capitalist corporations...

390510[/snapback]

Let me explain to you how this works: you see, the corporations finance Team America, and then Team America goes out... and the corporations sit there in their... in their corporation buildings, and... and, and see, they're all corporation-y... and they make money.

:);)

Sony pays for airtime

I think it's a sad state of affairs.  Why push this music upon the consumer?  Why not let the consumer decide if they like something or not?

390494[/snapback]

Are you under the illusion that this only occurs in the music industry? You can change the subject to, "This is one of the things that's wrong with the world."

The tards that were elected to our assembly are voting tonight on whether to make bike helmets mandatory for all children (defined by the idiot Grandmother Shamburg who drafted this piece of trash as anyone under the age of 18).  They admit that it's not enforceable but want to give parents an easy way out with their children.  Gee thanks, Janice.  :)

Yeah, I need the government to give me a reason to negotiate with my kids.  How 'bout, wear your bike helmet or I'll wear you like a slipper?

Fuggin' motherment.

390519[/snapback]

Dumbest logic ever. "We'll pass a law making something mandatory in order to allow parents to more effectively parent." :lol:

News flash: it doesn't take a friggin' village. It takes a mother, or a father, or both. Preferably both, but one reasonably sensible and motivated parent is more than sufficient...and far more sufficient than any state assembly.

But be glad you don't live in Illinois. There, if your kid is falling off their bike and you grab her arm to steady her, you have to register as a sex offender... ;) Sometimes I hate this friggin' society...then there's times like now, when I loathe it.

Can someone with a better knowledge of law than me tell me what law was being broken by this?

390647[/snapback]

Frankly I don't know if there is a law on the books anywhere that says "payola" is a crime. The FCC requires you identify a "party of interest". So if Sony pays for airtime, all you have to say is "the following is brought to you by Sony" and you are legit.

Having worked in the industry for most of my life, this so-called payola is the only source of promotion money for most radio stations. How do you think stations get to give away concert tickets? Or fly listeners to vacations? Record company promo money! It's not some PD slipping hundreds into his or her pocket. 99.9% goes to the listeners in the form of free t-shirts and stuff.

Before you get all indignant at the thought of radio stations being influenced by money, think about pharmacutical companies flying doctors to golf vacations to Hawaii just so they prescribe their pills. Think about your congresspeople going on "junkets" with lobbyists. The truth is every facet of business and government is influenced by money. Singling out radio stations is disingenuous. Nobdies life was ever seriously affected by a record played on the radio.

PTR

Don't people get paid to find talent?  A&R guys?  I have personally played with at least 10 people that have more talent than the next 10 songs you hear on the radio.  Thats just me alone.

Perhaps I am a bit cynical being a musician.  But still, I can't really remember the last time I heard a song, or a singer and said wow.

390504[/snapback]

Diana Krall.