OT: Moldy/mildew smell coming from car vents

Ramius

So a few days ago, out of nowhere, this musty/moldy/mildew smell started coming out of my truck vents. It smells terrible, and i need to get rid of it. I've torn the interior apart and theres nothing inside thats causing the smell, and the smell is definitely centered from the vents. I have a good feeling its coming from the A/C unit, but that doesnt get me very far. Anyone ever deal with this or have ideas on how to get rid of it? I've searched google already and have some options, but i want some firsthand advice if anyone has any. Thanks.

just in case anyone needs it, i have a 2000 Chevy S-10

So a few days ago, out of nowhere, this musty/moldy/mildew smell started coming out of my truck vents. It smells terrible, and i need to get rid of it. I've torn the interior apart and theres nothing inside thats causing the smell, and the smell is definitely centered from the vents. I have a good feeling its coming from the A/C unit, but that doesnt get me very far. Anyone ever deal with this or have ideas on how to get rid of it? I've searched google already and have some options, but i want some firsthand advice if anyone has any. Thanks.

390347[/snapback]

I had the same problem once. Turned out a mouse chose there to die.

I had the same problem once.  Turned out a mouse chose there to die.

390349[/snapback]

Well, this isnt so much a rotting smell as a moldy one. And literally, the smell wasnt there one morning, and when i got out of work, it was. So what did you do to get rid of it?

I had the same problem once.  Turned out a mouse chose there to die.

390349[/snapback]

Cats, kittens, they like the warm engive, its when it's hot that they don't like it anymore, Give it about 10K miles at high speed, high temp, and that should do it.

390347[/snapback]

You can spray a anti mildew agent in the intake vent but make sure it is something that will evaporate (not the stuff that you put on your shower walls). I believe there is something made by Lysol. Also check your local auto store.

As someone else has suggested maybe the drain has plugged up.

Side note to all - get into the practice of siwtching off the a/c but let the fan blow for a few seconds before you shut the fan off. That way, the cold air blows through and does not allow condensation to happen. This 'musty' smell is due to condensation effects (mold, mildew) that develop over the years so make it part of your regular habit. For example, a minute before I am going to stop, I hit the off button on the a/c , then by the time I stop and ready to switch the car off, warm air is blowing through the vents.

You can spray a anti mildew agent in the intake vent but make sure it is something that will evaporate (not the stuff that you put on your shower walls). I believe there is something made by Lysol. Also check your local auto store.

As someone else has suggested maybe the drain has plugged up.

Side note to all - get into the practice of siwtching off the a/c but let the fan blow for a few seconds before you shut the fan off. That way, the cold air blows through and does not allow condensation to happen. This 'musty' smell is due to condensation effects (mold, mildew) that develop over the years so make it part of your regular habit. For example, a minute before I am going to stop, I hit the off button on the a/c , then by the time I stop and ready to switch the car off, warm air is blowing through the vents.

390358[/snapback]

Good advice. In the winter under certain conditions, one can avoid that almost-instaneous interior fogging of the windshield by turning the selector to floor or dash vent before you start the vehicle, to purge miosture before it hits the windshield and condenses.

In addition to the bug killer stuff, make sure the tube that drips away the a/c condensate hasn't partially plugged up.

390350[/snapback]

I had that problem too, and that's exactly what it was. Check the condensate drain line.

390347[/snapback]

That sounds like somebody might have pulled an oldie but a goodie on you. It is a 5 step process.

FYI-

1. Get a jar

2. Pee into the jar

3. Seal the jar and let it sit in the sun for about a week

4. Open jar and empty contents along the bottom of your enemy's windshield right into the vents.

5. Smile at the fact that no matter what they do, they will NEVER get the stink out.

That sounds like somebody might have pulled an oldie but a goodie on you. It is a 5 step process.

FYI-

1. Get a jar

2. Pee into the jar

3. Seal the jar and let it sit in the sun for about a week

4. Open jar and empty contents along the bottom of your enemy's windshield right into the vents.

5. Smile at the fact that no matter what they do, they will NEVER get the stink out.

390400[/snapback]

Dammit! Why'd you have to go and tell him what I did.

j/k

It's an odd smell, but I dont find it as overpowering as Ramius does. Then again, a minute in the car is considerably easier to forget than a 30 minute drive.

390347[/snapback]

Girlfriend missing any panties? :)

In order to prevent it - before you get out of your car when youv'e had your A/C cranking, turn your heat on full blast for a little bit. This will take care of the condensation that everyone is talking about. I usu. step out of the car so I don't melt. Can't promise that it will work for you, but it works for me.