We're truly doomed

Also, April said that kicker Rian Lindell, who has had both ups and downs in his time with the Bills, is looking better than ever.

"This offseason he's looked fantastic," April said. "He really was way, way out ahead of where he was a year ago at this time and way out ahead of where he was during the season. He's certainly kicking better than I've ever seen him kick and I think he's going to have a big year."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3271

Also, April said that kicker Rian Lindell, who has had both ups and downs in his time with the Bills, is looking better than ever.

"This offseason he's looked fantastic," April said. "He really was way, way out ahead of where he was a year ago at this time and way out ahead of where he was during the season. He's certainly kicking better than I've ever seen him kick and I think he's going to have a big year."

390034[/snapback]

Okay, what alien kidnapped the real Rian Lindell or the real Bobby April????

390034[/snapback]

Translation: "You fans think he sucks, but we are the professional talent evaluators, so we hope you'll buy the fact that you must be missing something. Here, drink some kool-aid... You are getting very sleepy..."

On a side note, it sure has been a long time (forever) since the Bills have had this many threats for the return game on the team at one time.  :lol:

390066[/snapback]

We're having a great pity party here and here you have to be a buzzkill... :rolleyes::lol:

What I find so funny about this quote is that he talks about Lindell like someone who spent the offseason watching film, studying the playbook, working out, eating right, really focusing on the year.

WTF is Lindell doing that has him so far ahead of last year?

Reports are in that K Ryan Lindell has reported to camp three hours early, drank extra Pedialite this morning and studied the playbook so he'd be able to recognize the difference between an extra point and a field goal.

"Oh, yeah," said Bills ST Coach Bobby April. "Last year at this time, he'd get in the huddle, and would forget the call for the extra point play. This year, he's remembered the play twice so far, and I expect great things from him."

What I find so funny about this quote is that he talks about Lindell like someone who spent the offseason watching film, studying the playbook, working out, eating right, really focusing on the year.

Reports are in that K Ryan Lindell has reported to camp three hours early, drank extra Pedialite this morning and studied the playbook so he'd be able to recognize the difference between an extra point and a field goal.

"Oh, yeah," said Bills ST Coach Bobby April. "Last year at this time, he'd get in the huddle, and would forget the call for the extra point play. This year, he's remembered the play twice so far, and I expect great things from him."

390073[/snapback]

I don't know?

I mentioned sometime ago that I read an article on what some "turn-around" kickers have been doing to get better with their game. One of those kickers was Shayne Grahman. I think the article was in SI and focused on a certain coach/trainer?

While the above is funny, I think he can work on things like set-up, form, follow-through, etc. And as has been said, bad kickers HAVE been known to improve over time. :rolleyes:

I have been convinced by the fact that the Bills were clearly taking a serious look at several other kickers early in this off-sason that I was probably incorrect to mostly emphasize the FACT that:

A. Lindell did a flat out great job at kickoffs last year-

Some folks only measure a placekickers contribution by the high-profile FGs an clearly Lindell did not win games for us (oddly we seem to win and lose games by so much the PK game is not used this way and even when it is folks like the Jets get the shot which has nothing to do with Lindell). Lindell simply sucked at PK as he not only made an almost impossible to forgive shank of a makeable FG against Pitts but he proved ineffective enough at non-crunch time FGs MM had no confidence in him at makeable distances.

However, PK is an essential PART of his duites but it is only a PART. Any real assessment of Lindell's work last year should include some to be honest great results by him on kickoffs. Some want to disregard this as merely a tribute to great tackling and relegate the kickoff to a function anyone can do. This ignores however. the fact that the coverage team is a TAM which is led by the kicker whose has the not easy job of kicking it exactly to the side (easier job as shanks must be avoided), a specific distance and with the hang-time required. From my looking at football this ain' an easy no-brainer act. This is particularly true in the changeable sometime gale force winds of the Ralph.

The fact that the Bills suffered no TDs and even very few long returns on KOs last year is certainly a great tribute to April and the tacklers, but it is also a great tribute to some outstanding kickoffs by Lindell (and some dumb luck as I have seen sudden winds at the Ralph simply drive high ball seemingly headed straight for the upright directly into the ground.

If you don't want to accept this then just remember the fact that the though the Bills lucked out missing the KCs of the world and the stude return guy with the Ravens I believe missed our game to injuries (though we had precious few kickoffs as the O was absent) opposing kickers gave us the ball at the 40 by kicking it OB trying to avoid McGee with directional kicks Lindell handled well and opposing attempts to fool McGee and the blockers which begin with the kicker failed miserably as he scored a couple untouched having caught the ball in stride because their kicker did not kickoff as well as Lindell.

Many casual observers when they even look past the placekicking game to realize how important kickoffs are (guaranteed he will do it at least once every game and set the tone for a half of football and if we play well he will do this lots of times while he may not placekick outside of PATS much at all) measure this only if he is a Sebastian Janakowski capable of getting long touchbacks. However, most kickers do not have the leg for this and a reurnable high kick is what the McGees and the blocking team is looking for. Most kick coverage guys have an assigned lane and distance they are running to. If they have to second guess where the kicker is sending it and how long it will stay up, if they are looking for the ball they are not looking for the runner and even worse will get their clock cleaned by a blocker.

It seems to me to be just the facts that Lindell simply excelled at kicking them where he was supposed to kick 'em and the PART of the great tackling performance was because of his great KO work.

B. Lindell did a very good job with onside kicks-

My recollection is he had three demands last year that he do this and 2/3 he did a good job which is an average for onsides anyone would like. One was blown and the other team recovered this desperation act that all expected.

In another game late in the season, I think his onside kick was good as it was recoverable by the Bills which is really all you can ask for, but Rashad Baker mistime his leap and the opponents recovered.

The other was simply a work of art by Lindell who:

1. he and the KO team completely fooled the opposing team who expected the half to begin with a regular kickoff and they made the fatal mistake of back pedaling to form their wedge which gave the Bills a few yards of space and the opposnent momentum going in the wrong direction.

2, The most difficult thing Lindell pulled off was not only the fact that most observers know that the ball must travel ten yards, but also the ball must travel 10 BEFORE a block is thrown on an opponent. Lindell not only had to kick it the requsite yards but with the speed and pace that it covered the distance for a legal recovery to be made.

3. Add to this, in order not to tip our hand to the returner, we could not put out a hands team but it was the usual tacklers and could not overload to one side. Insteas, the plan was for Lindell to not only kick it with the proper speed and pace but make the recovery himself.

He an the coverage team did this perfectly and the Bills who has scored at the end of the first to take the momentum simply took the game away as their offense sullenly sat on the bench and their D dragged itself back on to the field. Lindell;splay was so well done and really put a fork in this game I think it is impossibl to a believable assessment of Lindell without giving him credit for this gamebreaking play anytime one mentions him pulling a gameloser with is Pitts shank.

Am i predicting Lindell will be a stud in 2005, Nope, I have a tough time feeling confident with predicting what a normal player will do and nobody would mistake a kicker for being normal.

However, the braintrust seemed to have chosen what I thought was a pretty risky approach to managing a weirdo which was essentially looking for his replacement in broaddaylight,

Must kickers seem to react to this lack of confidemce no matter if it is easily justifiabke after the Pitts shank and the loss of confidence in his kicks beyond 49 yards by simply losing confidence and going into a shell which leads to second guessing that makes 'em miss.

However, the great thing about Lindell's clear showing of commitment to not retreating in the face of a challenge but commiting his time to doing whatever he can to get better is a great sign. His first game kicks in pre-season will be critical, his first game decider and how he recovers when he blows one as happens with almost everyone exceptIndy and NE will tell the tale. Lindell has a lot to do and a lot opportunities to fail. TD certainly made one his bigger blunder when he made the statement that good kickers are a dime a dozen when he cut Christie.

Yet, from the tangible reaction to the challenge put to him by the Bills and the kid-gloves April is correctly using to pump him, and him actually putting up some good numbers and distance in SEA (and actually not bad numbers in total last year as he gpt a lot of shots he made inside the 40 though he simply sucked at long distance). The Bills seem to be doing all the right things to make this work.

A good Lindell year as a placekicker is still a tough row to how and not even likely barring him having some good results this pre-season. However, it is far from the longshot it seemed to be in Pittsburgh and not impossibl at all as some would have us believe.

I have been convinced by the fact that the Bills were clearly taking a serious look at several other kickers early in this off-sason that I was probably incorrect to mostly emphasize the FACT that:

A. Lindell did a flat out great job at kickoffs last year-

Some folks only measure a placekickers contribution by the high-profile FGs an clearly Lindell did not win games for us (oddly we seem to win and lose games by so much the PK game is not used this way and even when it is folks like the Jets get the shot which has nothing to do with Lindell). Lindell simply sucked at PK as he not only made an almost impossible to forgive shank of a makeable FG against Pitts but he proved ineffective enough at non-crunch time FGs MM had no confidence in him at makeable distances.

However, PK is an essential PART of his duites but it is only a PART. Any real assessment of Lindell's work last year should include some to be honest great results by him on kickoffs. Some want to disregard this as merely a tribute to great tackling and relegate the kickoff to a function anyone can do. This ignores however. the fact that the coverage team is a TAM which is led by the kicker whose has the not easy job of kicking it exactly to the side (easier job as shanks must be avoided), a specific distance and with the hang-time required.  From my looking at football this ain' an easy no-brainer act. This is particularly true in the changeable sometime gale force winds of the Ralph.

The fact that the Bills suffered no TDs and even very few long returns on KOs last year is certainly a great tribute to April and the tacklers, but it is also a great tribute to some outstanding kickoffs by Lindell (and some dumb luck as I have seen sudden winds at the Ralph simply drive high ball seemingly headed straight for the upright directly into the ground.

If you don't want to accept this then just remember the fact that the though the Bills lucked out missing the KCs of the world and the stude return guy with the Ravens I believe missed our game to injuries (though we had precious few kickoffs as the O was absent) opposing kickers gave us the ball at the 40 by kicking it OB trying to avoid McGee with directional kicks Lindell handled well and opposing attempts to fool McGee and the blockers which begin with the kicker failed miserably as he scored a couple untouched having caught the ball in stride because their kicker did not kickoff as well as Lindell.

Many casual observers when they even look past the placekicking game to realize how important kickoffs are (guaranteed he will do it at least once every game and set the tone for a half of football and if we play well he will do this lots of times while he may not placekick outside of PATS much at all) measure this only if he is a Sebastian Janakowski capable of getting long touchbacks.  However, most kickers do not have the leg for this and a reurnable high kick is what the McGees and the blocking team is looking for.  Most kick coverage guys have an assigned lane and distance they are running to. If they have to second guess where the kicker is sending it and how long it will stay up, if they are looking for the ball they are not looking for the runner and even worse will get their clock cleaned by a blocker.

It seems to me to be just the facts that Lindell simply excelled at kicking them where he was supposed to kick 'em and the PART of the great tackling performance was because of his great KO work.

B. Lindell did a very good job with onside kicks-

My recollection is he had three demands last year that he do this and 2/3 he did a good job which is an average for onsides anyone would like. One was blown and the other team recovered this desperation act that all expected.

In another game late in the season, I think his onside kick was good as it was recoverable by the Bills which is really all you can ask for, but Rashad Baker mistime his leap and the opponents recovered.

The other was simply a work of art by Lindell who:

1. he and the KO team completely fooled the opposing team who expected the half to begin with a regular kickoff and they made the fatal mistake of back pedaling to form their wedge which gave the Bills a few yards of space and the opposnent momentum going in the wrong direction.

2, The most difficult thing Lindell pulled off was not only the fact that most observers know that the ball must travel ten yards, but also the ball must travel 10 BEFORE a block is thrown on an opponent. Lindell not only had to kick it the requsite yards but with the speed and pace that it covered the distance for a legal recovery to be made.

3. Add to this, in order not to tip our hand to the returner, we could not put out a hands team but it was the usual tacklers and could not overload to one side. Insteas, the plan was for Lindell to not only kick it with the proper speed and pace but make the recovery himself.

He an the coverage team did this perfectly and the Bills who has scored at the end of the first to take the momentum simply took the game away as their offense sullenly sat on the bench and their D dragged itself back on to the field. Lindell;splay was so well done and really put a fork in this game I think it is impossibl to a believable assessment of Lindell without giving him credit for this gamebreaking play anytime one mentions him pulling a gameloser with is Pitts shank.

Am i predicting Lindell will be a stud in 2005, Nope, I have a tough time feeling confident with predicting what a normal player will do and nobody would mistake a kicker for being normal.

However, the braintrust seemed to have chosen what I thought was a pretty risky approach to managing a weirdo which was essentially looking for his replacement in broaddaylight,

Must kickers seem to react to this lack of confidemce no matter if it is easily justifiabke after the Pitts shank and the loss of confidence in his kicks beyond 49 yards by simply losing confidence and going into a shell which leads to second guessing that makes 'em miss.

However, the great thing about Lindell's clear showing of commitment to not retreating in the face of a challenge but commiting his time to doing whatever he can to get better is a great sign.  His first game kicks in pre-season will be critical, his first game decider and how he recovers when he blows one as happens with almost everyone exceptIndy and NE will tell the tale. Lindell has a lot to do and a lot opportunities to fail. TD certainly made one his bigger blunder when he made the statement that good kickers are a dime a dozen when he cut Christie.

Yet, from the tangible reaction to the challenge put to him by the Bills and the kid-gloves April is correctly using to pump him, and him actually putting up some good numbers and distance in SEA (and actually not bad numbers in total last year as he gpt a lot of shots he made inside the 40 though he simply sucked at long distance).  The Bills seem to be doing all the right things to make this work.

A good Lindell year as a placekicker is still a tough row to how and not even likely barring him having some good results this pre-season.  However, it is far from the longshot it seemed to be in Pittsburgh and not impossibl at all as some would have us believe.

390090[/snapback]

While there certainly is more to being a kicker than kicking field goals, kicking field goals is the main job of the kicker. It's great that other parts of Lindell's game are solid, but for my money I need a guy who can be reliable from beyond 40 yards.

In his career with the Bills, Lindell is 4-10 from 40 yards or beyond. His longest field goal in his tenure with the Bills is 44 yards. In 2004 his season long field goal was 43 yards, the worst of any starting kicker in the NFL. These are really pathetic stats.

A kicker who is good at kickoffs and onsides kicks but can't hit the field goals is like a QB who has good pocket awareness and executes the play fake well but can't make the throws - nice to have these things but when you can't do the main part of your job who cares?

While there certainly is more to being a kicker than kicking field goals, kicking field goals is the main job of the kicker. It's great that other parts of Lindell's game are solid, but for my money I need a guy who can be reliable from beyond 40 yards.

In his career with the Bills, Lindell is 4-10 from 40 yards or beyond. His longest field goal in his tenure with the Bills is 44 yards. In 2004 his season long field goal was 43 yards, the worst of any starting kicker in the NFL. These are  really pathetic stats.

A kicker who is good at kickoffs and onsides kicks but can't hit the field goals is like a QB who has good pocket awareness and executes the play fake well but can't make the throws - nice to have these things but when you can't do the main part of your job who cares?

390103[/snapback]

Exactly!

Special Teams are "Special" because they play both Defense AND Offense.

The Place Kicker is as accountable for scoring points as a QB is.

It doesn't matter much if every Kick-off is a touchback if the PK isn't putting up points consistently when the Offense stalls at the 25 yard line (that'd be about a 41/42 yd attempt for the math challenged amongst us).

While some of the most knowledgable fans in the world may say, "Gee, and he looks so GOOD in his uniform! He fills it out so NICELY! Why, he LOOKS like such a player! Swoon, swoon, swoon!" others can't wait for him to be the next big ass out of town.

In a related note...Sam AIken is looking better than he did last year at this time, and during the season.

I don't mind going for it on every 4th and 6 on the 25....I just wish we could do it out of choice, not necessity.

390053[/snapback]

Sam Aiken and Josh Reed are Camp Tigers...

maybe, just maybe, RL has improved this offseason. You think he doesn't know that he was a big reason the bills didn't make the playoffs? perhaps he has been working on splitting the uprights. We'll see what happens during the preseason. We're fooling ourselves here by suggesting that the bills brass doesn't find lindell missing from 28 yards a problem. I can't guarentee that the kicking game will be better, but i can guarentee that it will be a training camp priority to improve on last year's pittsburgh disaster.