T- 14HRS...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fan-friggin-tastic...with about 2 minutes to go before launch, the NASA tv site times me out and i lose the feed...i get it back just in time to see the shuttle execute its roll... :rolleyes:

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: NASA

Fan-friggin-tastic...with about 2 minutes to go before launch, the NASA tv site times me out and i lose the feed...i get it back just in time to see the shuttle execute its roll... :rolleyes:

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: NASA

390277[/snapback]

We expect those little glitches to happen at launch, though. It's not a problem... :lol:

Worked fine for me.  Stop raining on the parade monkeyboy.

CW

390287[/snapback]

I played it safe and both had real player and media player windows open. Real player did time out just before launch (my bad) and I could not get it back, but media player is still running. Right now they are showing clips of the launch, with live audio of what they are doing.

All I can say is that watching that launch, if you weren't "moved" you must be flat-lined. :rolleyes:

I played it safe and both had real player and media player windows open. Real player did time out just before launch (my bad) and I could not get it back, but media player is still running. Right now they are showing clips of the launch, with live audio of what they are doing.

All I can say is that watching that launch, if you weren't "moved" you must be flat-lined.  :lol:

390302[/snapback]

well, i couldnt get media player to work here at work, so i was relying on real player, which conviently decides to time out... :rolleyes:

All I can say is that watching that launch, if you weren't "moved" you must be flat-lined.  :rolleyes:

390302[/snapback]

Shuttle launches only "move" me when I hear them announce "Roger, go with throttle-up". Can't help thinking of Challenger when I hear that...

Not that I'm criticizing or anything, and I do understand the circumstances, but I found these quotes from this article kinda interesting...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Discovery and seven astronauts blasted into orbit Tuesday on America's first manned space shot since the 2003 Columbia disaster, ending a painful, 2 1/2-year shutdown devoted to making the shuttle less risky and NASA more safety-conscious.

The space agency had been prepared to bend its safety rules to get the shuttle flying.

:rolleyes:

I drove out to New Smyrna Beach (Bethune Beach) to watch the launch with my son. It's about 40 miles away from the Cape as the crow flies; had a pretty good view from there. What I didn't think about until it occurred was the delay between watching it launch, then hearing and feeling the blast of the engines wash over you after it's out of view. That was pretty cool.

Exactly.  People always overlook that fact though.

CW

390234[/snapback]

Say we just postpone the Nasa program for about 10 years. What is that, like 500 gazillion dollars that could go to better schools, fair pay for cops, new roads, alternative energy resources, homeland security, safer environment, social security etc etc etc.

Then we just start it up again in a 5-10 years.

Say we just postpone the Nasa program for about 10 years. What is that, like 500 gazillion dollars that could go to better schools, fair pay for cops, new roads, alternative energy resources, homeland security, safer environment, social security etc etc etc.

390597[/snapback]

"The NASA program"? Which one?

And it's probably more like $150 billion...still a nice chunk of change, but not NEARLY enough for the programs you list. And your restart costs for a 10-year hiatus would wipe out any savings you'd get anyway.

Better to get some sane management into NASA to rationalize the manned space program - figure out a meaningful purpose for the ISS, replace the shuttle with something sensible (probably 90% of the vehicle weight is designed to carry cargo to orbit and return empty space safely to earth. Ditch the cargo bay, make it a taxi instead of a truck, and you probably save a ton of money right there). The savings you get from scrapping NASA, though, aren't even comparable to the savings you'd get from scrapping one of the DoD's multitude of fatally flawed, expensive stuporweapon programs like the FCS or DD(X).

390597[/snapback]

Congress would spend it on buildings to be named after them, throw pork to a podunk college to study the societal ramifications of the stoplight at the corner of Elm and Main, fund awareness programs about this and that, and so forth. Forget better schools and tossing $$$ that way. The problems are squarely in the home, or lack therof. :)

Shuttle launches only "move" me when I hear them announce "Roger, go with throttle-up".  Can't help thinking of Challenger when I hear that...

390322[/snapback]

This one has been a while coming and I have a special soft spot for space travel. Reading SF as a kid, I expected I would be vacationing at a lunar colony by now. I remember watching stars with my mother and watching Sputnik go across the sky.

This one has been a while coming and I have a special soft spot for space travel. Reading SF as a kid, I expected I would be vacationing at a lunar colony by now. I remember watching stars with my mother and watching Sputnik go across the sky.

390664[/snapback]

Me too Rockpile. But I have zero respect (and faith) for the administration of NASA, it has almost ruined the whole thing for me....

Me too Rockpile. But I have zero respect (and faith) for the administration of NASA, it has almost ruined the whole thing for me....

390780[/snapback]

Ditto...particularly over the past two-plus years. I eagerly await the day when we once again have a decent manned space program with actual concrete goals to achieve, rather than yet another mismanaged government program.